Where will we finish in 2021 ?

Where will the Hawks finish in 2021 ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The boffins on the AFL.website with their predictions have us down the bottom end of the ladder. Cal Twomey picks us for the wooden spoon!!! Onto the s**t list he goes.

They all have a near identical top 8 which makes me think there will be some serious change this season. Hope so.

Starting to think we may really suprise a few idiots in the media who want nothing more for us to be at the bottom .
And a few on this board too. Mitchell's form is key, in 2018 he single handedly dominated stacked midfields and got us top 4. If he can regain the 40 touch a game form and Worpel, Jaeger and wingard have good years we will do very well.

I honestly think where we finish this year all depends on Clarkos mindset.

If we play that dour, slow, loss minimising, kick it long to contested pack style game plan like last year we will finish around 9th to 14th.

However if we play the fast, aggresibe, attacking, play on at all costs style we will either finish last (if it doesnt click and we get scored heavily against) or make the eight if it works beautifully.

Personally I hope we roll the dice and go with option 2 because another year of watching option 1 is not something I look forward to!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we play that dour, slow, loss minimising, kick it long to contested pack style game plan like last year we will finish around 9th to 14th.

However if we play the fast, aggresibe, attacking, play on at all costs style we will either finish last (if it doesnt click and we get scored heavily against) or make the eight if it works beautifully.

Personally I hope we roll the dice and go with option 2 because another year of watching option 1 is not something I look forward to!

I think its a near certainty we play quick footy , I think its been in the works for a couple years but we seem to have really made the transition this pre season. You only have to look at our recent draft to see where the coaching staff think the game may be going . We may not get it right all the time but im looking forward to this season alot more then the past couple.

I think maybe it is because when we all, or many of us anyway, voted, there was no body of work to compare us to.

Adelaide look terrible, North equally and although a small sample size, we clearly look better than both of them so having us as bottom 2 could rile some.

I had us bottom 6 and still think that will be the case.

As many of the track watchers tell us, it has nothing to do with Clarkos mindset and everything to do with our ability to execute our game plan. The emphasis on quick ball movement is not new, however, when things weren’t working for us last year, we couldn’t execute it. We looked dull and slow. All signs this year point to an exciting brand, but there will be times we can’t pull it off. And it has everything to do with our ability, not a direction.

I think North and the Crows will definitely finish below us.
I think Melb and GC can't be ruled out as finishing below us.
The Swans, despite their incredible talent - are sneaky bastards - I can see them finishing low this year, before top 6 in 2022.

So between bottom 3-6.

I just hope we don't have a false dawn season - where the senior players, of whom we have a number, drive us to wins that can't be backed up again next year.

So I hope we play our list to it's merits and find something to build upon. Win 5-8 games but reveal lots of young talent and leadership. and take a real scalp or 2.

Not sure why a few are offended with the so call experts picking us to finish near the bottom, 85% of posters on this board have selected us to miss the 8 and 46% bottom 6.
Not sure why anyone gives a s**t where so called experts think we will finish. It’s up to the club to prove them wrong. Based on what we dished up last year, and perhaps without the some of the knowledge of what the club endured or how we have prepared in the off season, they have every right to think we will finish toward the bottom.

As many of the track watchers tell us, it has nothing to do with Clarkos mindset and everything to do with our ability to execute our game plan. The emphasis on quick ball movement is not new, however, when things weren’t working for us last year, we couldn’t execute it. We looked dull and slow. All signs this year point to an exciting brand, but there will be times we can’t pull it off. And it has everything to do with our ability, not a direction.
I agree that having the talent to execute the fast attacking brand plays a part but I can't believe that at least part of the way we played last year wasn't down to coaching.

Teams play as their coaches dictate. Look at how Ross Lyon teams have played or Malcom Blights (to use two examples from opposite ends of the spectrum).

Players are so highly drilled these days in how their coaches (head coach, line coach, defensive coach, etc) want them to play that it becomes instinct for them (i.e. I have the ball at half back flank, should I go for a run down the middle/switch up to the other flank, nope that might result in a turnover and will get be benched so I better kick it long down the boundary line to the pack).

From the majority of the games I watched last year indicated to me a lower ranked team in the Premier League that was playing for a nil all draw to avoid regulation to Division 1.

I might be exaggerating but go back and watch the games from the middle of last year and tell me I am completely wrong.

And to an extent it worked, we never got completely smashed and lost most of the games by under 4 goals or so but on the other hand we were never realistically going to win those games either (plus it was god awful to watch).

I think North and the Crows will definitely finish below us.
I think Melb and GC can't be ruled out as finishing below us.
The Swans, despite their incredible talent - are sneaky bastards - I can see them finishing low this year, before top 6 in 2022.

So between bottom 3-6.

I just hope we don't have a false dawn season - where the senior players, of whom we have a number, drive us to wins that can't be backed up again next year.

So I hope we play our list to it's merits and find something to build upon. Win 5-8 games but reveal lots of young talent and leadership. and take a real scalp or 2.
Why does it matter if we win plenty of games this year but can’t back it up next year?

Not sure why a few are offended with the so call experts picking us to finish near the bottom, 85% of posters on this board have selected us to miss the 8 and 46% bottom 6.
Seems like you’ve not bothered to look at how many opposition trolls have responded to the poll.

Seems like you’ve not bothered to look at how many opposition trolls have responded to the poll.

Where do you think we'll finish mate ? I'm tipping you'll give a politician response that can't be looked back on in 6 months with any great detail.

Back