Prediction Where will we finish this year?

Where do you think the Cats will finish this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

JumpyHolden

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
For what's it worth i see us making finals ahead of a humbling exit in first week
I feel you're right and if that happens guess who could easily find themselves at the bottom of this table.
finals.JPG

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Agreed but Geelong supporters will be fine with it cause we made finals again.

Jumpy if something doesn’t change then expect resignations that week. Cook has defined the new objective of how we play. Don’t play like that then Simon Lloyd will be under pressure to turn over coaches some of which are out of contract at seasons end I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
It's NAB now mate. Get it right! Just got a little flashback to those tower life signs that were all over the Southern Stand.
I agree with a lot of that. Would be beneficial for us developing someone instead of sticking with Guthrie or automatically just putting Scooter back in the team when he gets over injuries.
I'm not that convinced on Constable yet though. Just haven't seen in the VFL games I've watched what other people have.
I watched as much VFL as I could last year. Constable was interesting. He got good numbers in games I saw but I rarely noticed him.
Then I set out to watch him as a priority in a late season game at home and he surprised me. No fuss but always near the action and clean .

It may have been his best game for the year but he also got into dangerous positions forward of the ball and was used a couple of times with very good results.

He doesn't seem to have any stand out attributes other than good game sense and that ability to get involved and use it well - in close especially.

He is one we really need to break in and demonstrate those same skills at the next level.
I agree with Mr B -
The kids hold the key to 2019. They FORCE their way into best 22 and we are back in it. They stall and we fall.

Constable, Narkle, Fogarty, Esava, MOC, plus two mature blokes Abbott and Fort.

I think whiskers may well be right....we need a few step ups from the younger brigade. I'm confident about Parfitt and I hope the extra pre-season will bring Narkle first 22 status. I also believe MOC may well be a bolter....he was one of the few that put in a good effort in the EF last September.

Esava is green....I hope we are not putting too many expectations upon his very broad shoulders, but by season's end we should know just how far he can go.

I'm a bit bullish about Dahlhaus and Rohan...I think they add a bit of steel to the side..and I am looking forward to seeing Constable at the top level...if he's really a "goer" then we look competitive in my eyes...

Not seen Fort play...apart from a brief video..but if he can become a quality tap ruck man then with the 6-6-6 set up, and our midfield we should be in the mix.

JumpyHolden

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Pretty dodgy table. Percentages don't mean much when the number of finals played are so uneven.
Note: This doesn't mean I think our finals performances have been good lately.
since 1965, 19 past and present coaches have been in 15 or more finals and guess what, Scott is still 3rd last with only Worsfold and Eade behind him.

since 1965, 19 past and present coaches have been in 15 or more finals and guess what, Scott is still 3rd last with only Worsfold and Eade behind him.
He's actually equal second if you're counting premierships.

He's actually equal second if you're counting premierships.
I thought it was the silverware that mattered too. Who in 50 years time will remember the best finals coach never to win one...

JumpyHolden

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
If we're counting inherited silverware then he's up there, otherwise he's totally useless

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
HAHA... I still call GMHBA Stadium Kardinia Park..... same as the JLT, I still refer to it as the Fosters Cup!

Lol I didnt mind skilled stadium or was it shell stadium can't remember generally just call it kardinia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
I watched as much VFL as I could last year. Constable was interesting. He got good numbers in games I saw but I rarely noticed him.
Then I set out to watch him as a priority in a late season game at home and he surprised me. No fuss but always near the action and clean .

It may have been his best game for the year but he also got into dangerous positions forward of the ball and was used a couple of times with very good results.

He doesn't seem to have any stand out attributes other than good game sense and that ability to get involved and use it well - in close especially.

He is one we really need to break in and demonstrate those same skills at the next level.
I agree with Mr B -
The kids hold the key to 2019. They FORCE their way into best 22 and we are back in it. They stall and we fall.

The Guthries, S.Selwoods, Rohans, Taylor, Stanley, menegola

Will need to earn spots every week instead of being walk up starts. If the Match committee is serious about spots being available we should see it in the pre season!

The Guthries, S.Selwoods, Rohans, Taylor, Stanley, menegola

Will need to earn spots every week instead of being walk up starts. If the Match committee is serious about spots being available we should see it in the pre season!
Carji’ Greeves Medal – Top 10
1. Mark Blicavs (234 votes)

2. Patrick Dangerfield (233.5)
2. Tim Kelly (233.5)
4. Tom Hawkins (229)
5. Joel Selwood (220.5)
6. Mitch Duncan (216)
6. Tom Stewart (216)
8. Jake Kolodjashnij (203)
9. Sam Menegola (200)
10. Zach Tuohy (194.5)

Daft if think Menegola doesn’t walk into this team

Sep 29, 2013
The 'switch
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hockeyroos

I agree with Mr B -

There's no rational basis for thinking this, but I also reckon Buzza might have a breakout year, in part because he has to, to stay, and partly because he has seen Sav do it. (Sav will take time, after that injury. Will be better in 2020 than this year.)

Sep 29, 2013
The 'switch
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hockeyroos
Absolutely agreed.

I thought Ling’s comments on the midfield during the last season was telling. Basically he could see how the style of the holy trinity were counter productive and easy to disrupt especially by a foot here or a hand there that moved the ball in the opposite direction. Exactly how that all works technically I can’t say so reliant on people’s comments who do. I wish ling or Corey were our mid coaches. Am not sure of knights and I think our midfield has been somewhat dysfunctional at times. Bigger issue than the fwd line especially in finals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i am not sure about Ling as coach, his comments seem pretty one-dimensional (leadership ... I can always hear Cath Day-Knight saying "look at moi" in the background) but agree totally that there are midfield issues, ones that I don't have the nous to see and club does not seem to be able to fix.

Hard not to suspect it boils down to personality as much as strategy. My gut feel is that (unconsciously, probably) too often, other players leave it to Selwood, because we seem to get more even contributions in those rare games he does not play. Did not help that Danger was clearly playing injured, which I am sure has been said.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

2. Tim Kelly (233.5)
4. Tom Hawkins (229)
5. Joel Selwood (220.5)
6. Mitch Duncan (216)
6. Tom Stewart (216)
9. Sam Menegola (200)
10. Zach Tuohy (194.5)

If we were playing Carlton or Gold Coast at home Menegola would be my very first picked.
I reckon his already got those games circled in his calendar.

The Ablett up forward calls surprise me. Maybe people are relying on the heights of his namesake but reality suggests it won't work given he can't really mark overhead these days given his shoulder issues.

Ablett is better served as an outside player who can create and distribute. I'd be playing him on a wing.

I'd still like Gaz in a type of Dusty role, Dusty has no Defensive Pressure, which some seem to forget, yet criticise other players.

EDIT:
Dustin Martin hasn't got a defensive bone in his body either.

Ooooh! SNAP!

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
2. Tim Kelly (233.5)
4. Tom Hawkins (229)
5. Joel Selwood (220.5)
6. Mitch Duncan (216)
6. Tom Stewart (216)
9. Sam Menegola (200)
10. Zach Tuohy (194.5)

Can't really rely on that because from everything I've read Kolo will struggle to hold a position in defence and yet, was 1 of the best 6 earlier there last season.

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
2. Tim Kelly (233.5)
4. Tom Hawkins (229)
5. Joel Selwood (220.5)
6. Mitch Duncan (216)
6. Tom Stewart (216)
9. Sam Menegola (200)
10. Zach Tuohy (194.5)

Pretty sure what I said was menegola was a walk up start.
2. Tim Kelly (233.5)
4. Tom Hawkins (229)
5. Joel Selwood (220.5)
6. Mitch Duncan (216)
6. Tom Stewart (216)
9. Sam Menegola (200)
10. Zach Tuohy (194.5)

That was the whole point of the quote I said he was a walkup start. And if the match committee is serious about young players he will have to play well to hold his spot.

Troll on elsewhere gero

Pretty sure what I said was menegola was a walk up start.

That was the whole point of the quote I said he was a walkup start. And if the match committee is serious about young players he will have to play well to hold his spot.

Troll on elsewhere gero
Troll? Lol what?
He’ll be a walk up start because history shows he does play well.
Blimey it’s not hard

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Troll? Lol what?
He’ll be a walk up start because history shows he does play well.
Blimey it’s not hard

No more along the lines of if you don't think menegola is a walk up start your daft. Thats just a troll

Played 40 odd games 3rd AFL club 26 years old.

I listed Taylor, Guthrie, Rohan, S.Selwood in the same group players who were walk up starts but now need to play well to hold a spot in the best 22.

If any of these guys play a poor 4 week block they can spend some time in VFL menegola included if thats a week who cares. Dalhaus, Kolo, Henderson same boat.

Back