Prediction Where will we finish this year?

Where do you think the Cats will finish this year?

• Total voters

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure of your meaning?
I was more than happy with a fit Menzel.
As long as he was kicking goals.
Sure, he wasn't as defensive as some, but just like Gaz, his offensive skills make up for that.
It obviously didn't make up for it or he'd still be at the club.
I dunno, I'd still rather Gaz in the middle, or even off the back of the square like in that Eagles game last year.
I just dont think we have enough kicking skills or creativity in the middle.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
I dunno, I'd still rather Gaz in the middle, or even off the back of the square like in that Eagles game last year.
I don't think that's why he not here.
It's more to do with his injury, and something behind the scenes that we aren't privvy to.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm hoping Gaz will be used more as a high forward anyway. He's such a good distributor. I can't see him being plonked in the square.

Black Stripe

Yellow Paint
Feb 15, 2019
Liverpool
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Oklahoma City and Sydney Thunder
I'm surprised to see a dozen votes for missing the finals.

No chance that happens this year there is simply too much quality on Geelong's list.

Man0gwaR74

All Australian
Oct 6, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Ablett isn't as bad defensively as sometimes made out.
Because he is an attacking player, the "lack of defence" thing tends to get overstated.
No this is just the mistake that you make by assuming coz he gets 40+ possessions a game, then he is helping his team win but I recall when GAJ was getting all the possessions @ GCS and they weren't winning. You have a habit of discounting accountability for direct opponents. When the Cats were winning flags, they had 2 of the best clean up crew in the business in Joel Corey and Clinger. Teams that have structure, win flags. GAJ was a loose cannon and the 2011 flag proved that!

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm surprised to see a dozen votes for missing the finals.

No chance that happens this year there is simply too much quality on Geelong's list.

I think overall an ~84% chance of playing finals is still optimistic at this stage tbh.

Should we make finals? Absolutely. But we shouldn't look to just take it for granted, there are some strong opposition teams that could really push us through the year.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
No this is just the mistake that you make by assuming coz he gets 40+ possessions a game, then he is helping his team win but I recall when GAJ was getting all the possessions @ GCS and they weren't winning. You have a habit of discounting accountability for direct opponents. When the Cats were winning flags, they had 2 of the best clean up crew in the business in Joel Corey and Clinger. Teams that have structure, win flags. GAJ was a loose cannon and the 2011 flag proved that!
I made no mistake, and I don't have a habit of discounting blah blah blah.
The 2011 flag proved nothing about Ablett.
In fact nothing you have said actually makes much sense at all.

Black Stripe

Yellow Paint
Feb 15, 2019
Liverpool
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Oklahoma City and Sydney Thunder
I think overall an ~84% chance of playing finals is still optimistic at this stage tbh.

Should we make finals? Absolutely. But we shouldn't look to just take it for granted, there are some strong opposition teams that could really push us through the year.

True it's a very even competition these days and a lot needs to go right to win a flag.

When is Cockatoo due to come back by the way? He's a jet and I love watching him play.

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I made no mistake, and I don't have a habit of discounting blah blah blah.
The 2011 flag proved nothing about Ablett.
In fact nothing you have said actually makes much sense at all.

I am glad you responded to that because after I read his sentence I couldn't really comprehend what he was trying to say. Unless he was trying to say that a team without Gary Jr at his prime is better than a team with him. If that is in fact what the person was trying to say then it might be the dumbest football comment ever! Might end as quite simply the greatest player ever to pull on football boots. GAZZZZZZZZ

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder

You want one of the greatest on ballers ever to be more accountable for his man? Lol nah didn't see anyone asking Juddy to tag.

Every game he was tagged or had multiple blokes hanging off him for about a 10 year stretch.

Not exactly nick Steven's we are talking about just the best of the best.

If Cameron Ling and Joel Corey were blessed with that ability they can run free like a bird as well.

If ablett held his man at gold coast to 10 possessions and he got 25 they still lose lol

Man0gwaR74

All Australian
Oct 6, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
You want one of the greatest on ballers ever to be more accountable for his man? Lol nah didn't see anyone asking Juddy to tag.
'Greatest onballers ever' is a subjective term and obviously, I don't believe that is true about Ablett. At GCS Ablett could run free as a bird coz the umpires made him untouchable for their flagship in the rugby heartland.
Every game he was tagged or had multiple blokes hanging off him for about a 10 year stretch.
That may have been the case at Geelong and eventually the Cats protected him but that was the umpires job at GCS!
Not exactly nick Steven's we are talking about just the best of the best.
Getting 30+ possessions every week doesn't make him the best of the best.
If Cameron Ling and Joel Corey were blessed with that ability they can run free like a bird as well.
They were blessed with great endurance and they ran both ways with it for the sake of team accountability, which is what made the Cats such a solid team.
If ablett held his man at gold coast to 10 possessions and he got 25 they still lose lol
This is an assumption and I don't think that you will ever find the stats to back that up unless Ablett's opponent was purely a tagger. Ablett in his prime was a beast of a player but I believe that his ego outgrew the team and imo the best thing(obviously besides being a member of 2 flag winning teams) he did for the Cats was taking the money and going to GCS!

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
'Greatest onballers ever' is a subjective term and obviously, I don't believe that is true about Ablett. At GCS Ablett could run free as a bird coz the umpires made him untouchable for their flagship in the rugby heartland.

That may have been the case at Geelong and eventually the Cats protected him but that was the umpires job at GCS!

Getting 30+ possessions every week doesn't make him the best of the best.

They were blessed with great endurance and they ran both ways with it for the sake of team accountability, which is what made the Cats such a solid team.

This is an assumption and I don't think that you will ever find the stats to back that up unless Ablett's opponent was purely a tagger. Ablett in his prime was a beast of a player but I believe that his ego outgrew the team and imo the best thing(obviously besides being a member of 2 flag winning teams) he did for the Cats was taking the money and going to GCS!

One of the greatest on ballers ever is that you blighty your the only person I know who could write this and keep a straight face😂😂😂

Back