Prediction Where will we finish this year?

Where do you think the Cats will finish this year?

• Total voters

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Not willing to get carried away just yet. It's only two games in to the season. I said before the start of the year that if we manage to get to round 6 with a 3-3 record that will be a good result given our fixture, and I'm still sticking with that assertion. If we can find a way to nab at least one win in the next four weeks we'll have put ourselves in a decent position.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
No this is just the mistake that you make by assuming coz he gets 40+ possessions a game, then he is helping his team win but I recall when GAJ was getting all the possessions @ GCS and they weren't winning. You have a habit of discounting accountability for direct opponents. When the Cats were winning flags, they had 2 of the best clean up crew in the business in Joel Corey and Clinger. Teams that have structure, win flags. GAJ was a loose cannon and the 2011 flag proved that!

What did the '09 flag prove then, moron?

Overhang

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
4-1 and top of the ladder is a dream start to the year given we have played 4 of last years finalists and a pretty hard team to beat away. Top 4 is really up for grabs again this year now that we have this start and a softer draw on the back half of the year. I'm still not sure exactly where we are at, no doubt we will need to keep improving as the season evolves or we will get left behind like other years. We are still playing a lot of kids and they often tire later in the season, hopefully our softer 2nd half of the year can afford us the opportunity to rest some players.

Huge game for us against Essendon in 2 weeks, not taking the West Coast game for granted but we have met the Bombers at a very similar time of the year the last 2 seasons and lost. In 2017 we were 5-2 leading into the Essendon game who were 3-4, then last year we were 5-3 leading into the Essendon game who were 2-6. We lost both those games but it was more the way in which we lost them, Essendon in both games brought a finals like pressure and intensity and we failed to withstand and apply the pressure ourselves, the final scoreline flattered us in both games. Providing Essendon bring a similar intensity then I think this game will really give us an idea where we're at this year and how much or little we have improved.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
On the couch they had a stat on the bombers scoring chains starting from half back. In their wins they were scoring 50+ points a match from half back whereas in their losses only 20 odd. Big game for the new forward set up to curtail them. If we beat them and go 3/3 at the G then I'm a believer. Then if we can sort out the bye issue the lid will be well and truly off. Yes it doesn't matter unless we do it in finals but if we overcome our MCG and bye issues it would be a good indicator that we have made the right changes to be a finals contender.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
PREMIERSHIP INCOMING BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

53a636495ce1c0d735b4942898ac9a4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
'Greatest onballers ever' is a subjective term and obviously, I don't believe that is true about Ablett. At GCS Ablett could run free as a bird coz the umpires made him untouchable for their flagship in the rugby heartland.

That may have been the case at Geelong and eventually the Cats protected him but that was the umpires job at GCS!

Getting 30+ possessions every week doesn't make him the best of the best.

They were blessed with great endurance and they ran both ways with it for the sake of team accountability, which is what made the Cats such a solid team.

This is an assumption and I don't think that you will ever find the stats to back that up unless Ablett's opponent was purely a tagger. Ablett in his prime was a beast of a player but I believe that his ego outgrew the team and imo the best thing(obviously besides being a member of 2 flag winning teams) he did for the Cats was taking the money and going to GCS!

Curious that the umpires saw fit to penalise him 0.3 times per game more at the Gold Coast than when he was at Geelong as a form of helping him

Man0gwaR74

All Australian
Oct 6, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Haven't seen you in the I was wrong thread lately.
That's coz I haven't been wrong about anything.

I was right about Rohan being a good recruit for the Cats.

I was right about Dahlhaus being a good pickup also!

I was right about Henderson being s**t and not deserving of a spot in the Cats' 'best 22'.

I was right about Kolodjashnij deserving his spot in the 'best22'.

I was right about Stanley being able to hold down the ruck spot if he could keep injury free.

So what part are you struggling to understand?

Last edited:

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
That's coz I haven't been wrong about anything.

I was right about Rohan being a good recruit for the Cats.

I was right about Dahlhaus being a good pickup also!

I was right about Henderson being s**t and not deserving of a spot in the Cats' 'best 22'.

I was right about Kolodjashnij deserving his spot in the 'best22'.

I was right about Stanley being able to hold down the ruck spot if he could keep injury free.

So what part are you struggling to understand?
Ablett in his prime was a beast of a player but I believe that his ego outgrew the team and imo the best thing(obviously besides being a member of 2 flag winning teams) he did for the Cats was taking the money and going to GCS!

Man0gwaR74

All Australian
Oct 6, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Lemme explain to you Max Milburn about how opinions are subjective and that sometimes there isn't necessarily a right or wrong but I stand by what I said and maintain that belief about GAJ, so what your point? Ohh ...did you expect me to dignify this:
Curious that the umpires saw fit to penalise him 0.3 times per game more at the Gold Coast than when he was at Geelong as a form of helping him
with a response?!? OK, how was that?

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Lemme explain to you Max Milburn about how opinions are subjective and that sometimes there isn't necessarily a right or wrong but I stand by what I said and maintain that belief about GAJ, so what your point? Ohh ...did you expect me to dignify this:

You’ve certainly won me over

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong

Thanks for the explanation.
Was just interested to see if you still thought Gaz was an unaccountable accumulator.
Well done on your other predictions, except maybe Hendo. He's still a good player and we'll need him for depth.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
The Cats are great value for money - every season all the wins ( as Malcolm Blight said when previewing the 2017 PF between the 2clubs he coached - " If you look at Geelongs history over the past 35 years - they have had very good sides " thats a decent rap - and it is a long period of time ) - it would be great this year if they could go deep into Sept

However to win the Premiership or make the GF - i just think Geel are 1 lightning quick top notch midfielder short - if they had type of player i would be very confident - i just still worry about that midfield ( eg the GWS game ) Kelly isnt overly quick - Selwood is getting on- Dangerfield - excellent - but if they had 1 more explosive type player in their - it would be invaluable .

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
It would be a disaster to miss top 4 from here.

We don't play Collingwood, West Coast or GWS again.

We have 6x games to come against Bulldogs, North Melbourne and Sydney - all of whom look destined for bottom 6.

We are effectively two games clear of the pack thanks to our league-leading percentage.

Top 4 should be the pass mark from here and top 2 should be the aim.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs

As my favourite poster here (due to your keen insight and usually balanced viewpoint), I am genuinely shocked to see you writing this. You are clearly feeling supremely confident.

I am very bullish about our chances this year as well. We genuinely seem to be as good a shot as any other team going around. And there aren't actually that many clubs who I think are shaping to be real contenders anyway.

Having said that, though, we're only a couple of season-ending injuries to key players away from being back in the pack. And that's not even accounting for becoming 'the hunted' again. And also needing to maintain the rage throughout a long season.

And then there's the small matter of several 'David Pittman' style performances in recent finals to overcome as well.

All of which leaves me very comfortable with the trite sign-off that Gaz employed in his after-match interview on the weekend...'we're just going to take it one week at a time.'

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
The Cats are great value for money - every season all the wins ( as Malcolm Blight said when previewing the 2017 PF between the 2clubs he coached - " If you look at Geelongs history over the past 35 years - they have had very good sides " thats a decent rap - and it is a long period of time ) - it would be great this year if they could go deep into Sept

However to win the Premiership or make the GF - i just think Geel are 1 lightning quick top notch midfielder short - if they had type of player i would be very confident - i just still worry about that midfield ( eg the GWS game ) Kelly isnt overly quick - Selwood is getting on- Dangerfield - excellent - but if they had 1 more explosive type player in their - it would be invaluable .
Like Grand Final Sprint winner, Rhys Stanley? ;)

Man0gwaR74

All Australian
Oct 6, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
LOL WELL HEY I'LL COP ALL CRITICISM AND WOULD GLADLY GO DO A NUDIE RUN AROUND SIMMONDS STADIUM IF HE PROVES ME WRONG, WOULD THAT SATISFY YOU?!?
Just so you guys know am a man of my word, I haven't forgotten this statement of mine and I AM PREPARED TO GO NUUUDE!!!

Last edited:

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

We don't play Collingwood, West Coast or GWS again.

We have 6x games to come against Bulldogs, North Melbourne and Sydney - all of whom look destined for bottom 6.

We are effectively two games clear of the pack thanks to our league-leading percentage.

Top 4 should be the pass mark from here and top 2 should be the aim.

It's still too early to lock expectations in imo but if we maintain this form through to the bye we should be very focused on being minor premiers imo.

At this point of the season no team is playing better footy, and as you say our draw through the back end will open up considerably. Do we potentially end up concerned that it's too soft?

Back