Toast Where will Zorko be regarded among Lions greats?

Where will Zorko be regarded among Lions greats once he retires?

• Amongst the very best

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Club Champion

Votes: 37 53.6%
  • Loyal servant

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • Just another player

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Will depend on future finals performances

Votes: 6 8.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That said, he's almost given the club legend status just by the fact he is the only (off the top of my head) player that played for all of Fitzroy, the Bears and the Lions.
Scott McIvor is the only other, a very underrated player too. His stats at the the three clubs were:

1985–1987 Fitzroy 55 (15)
1988–1996 Brisbane Bears 138 (77)
1997 Brisbane Lions 7 (4)
Total 200 (96)

There were plenty that played for both Fitzroy and the Bears and one of those and the Brisbane Lions but only Lynch and McIvor represented all three clubs that are the Brisbane Lions.

Lynch had a year at Fitzroy where he was in the frame as the best player in the game . Roos said he was. He was certainly the best full back going around for a year or so I remember.

His overall career is incredible . And to recover from the crippling illness he had at the Bears and play for as long as he did exceptional.

Lynch had a year at Fitzroy where he was in the frame as the best player in the game . Roos said he was. He was certainly the best full back going around for a year or so I remember.

His overall career is incredible . And to recover from the crippling illness he had at the Bears and play for as long as he did exceptional.
Fwiiw Lockett said Lynch was the toughest full back he ever played on . He then went on to top the Lions goalkicking with 68 goals and win AA.

You'd rarely see anyone excel at that level at both ends of the field and then go to win 3 flags after being struck down with a debilitating virus for the best part of 3 years.

Absolute champ.

I always think it interesting when talking about current players you think last season.
2020 Zorko was a good player. Played injured had a good year. Was down on a lot of averages . Where 2021 Zorko is we will soon find out
2019 Zorko was a much better player.

For me he is a champ.. Bleed for the club when we needed blood
Yes he still does stupid things, he still plays for free way too much.
Although you look back through the 4 years previous his pressure and desire to tackle, to get to the ball and win for the team. first class.
2016-2019 avg 22+ disposals, 6 tackles a game, 5 inside 50's and over a goal per game.

The Daniher one if he plays 6-7 seasons with us uninjured
Could be like Mitch end up playing 100 games for each side.
I really hope the best for him.. Could be the change he needed..
2021 Lions side be a good fit if he can get up and fire. You have Charlie and Hippy to take the pressure off him.
So it not just Joe getting triple teamed as no one else in the bombers side.

Coleman wouldn't hurt!
All 185cm's of him. Would look interesting standing next to some current midfielders such as Cripps (195) and J Berry (193). But he could apparently leap a bit.

My idea of an all time great is someone you would consider nominating for a statue if the Gabba offered an option to immortalize a certain number of players. Its hard to rank Zorko amongst the likes of the 2001-03 premiership sides. You would definitely have the likes of Voss/Black/Brown ahead of Zorko for a statue but would he be above the likes of second tier contributors like Lappin/Power/Hart etc? I would say yes. Its hard to say who Zorko would displace in the threepeat team as they are in different eras. However, it is hard to argue against Zorko's off-field contributions for the club. He comes in as a older age Queenslander shunned in 4 drafts. He plays his absolute heart out. Wins 4 B and Fs, is an All Australian and takes over the clubs captaincy when there is all this turmoil with Beams, goes on to captain a side to their first preliminary final in 16 years. Whether he is more or less talented than the likes of Beams, Hanley, Rocky etc is irrelevant. I doubt there are many others in the AFL who have achieved what Zorko has achieved on-field whilst being an absolute warrior for their team off-field. If Zorko were a Sun he would already be immortalised as their greatest player. We really do under-appreciate his efforts.

My idea of an all time great is someone you would consider nominating for a statue if the Gabba offered an option to immortalize a certain number of players. Its hard to rank Zorko amongst the likes of the 2001-03 premiership sides. You would definitely have the likes of Voss/Black/Brown ahead of Zorko for a statue but would he be above the likes of second tier contributors like Lappin/Power/Hart etc? I would say yes. Its hard to say who Zorko would displace in the threepeat team as they are in different eras. However, it is hard to argue against Zorko's off-field contributions for the club. He comes in as a older age Queenslander shunned in 4 drafts. He plays his absolute heart out. Wins 4 B and Fs, is an All Australian and takes over the clubs captaincy when there is all this turmoil with Beams, goes on to captain a side to their first preliminary final in 16 years. Whether he is more or less talented than the likes of Beams, Hanley, Rocky etc is irrelevant. I doubt there are many others in the AFL who have achieved what Zorko has achieved on-field whilst being an absolute warrior for their team off-field. If Zorko were a Sun he would already be immortalised as their greatest player. We really do under-appreciate his efforts.
Well said.

I think when you look at Zorko and compare him to other players, you also have to look at the circumstances.

Back in 2012, did ANYONE think Zorko would be our Captain, and be the one to Captain us to finals? Who else was firmly on the Rockliff as our great and powerful saviour bandwagon? Zorko took on the Captaincy when there was simply no other choice, and instead of letting the power get to his head or being a weak leader he stood up when we needed him and IMO has been a decent part of why Fagan has been able to turn this ship around. Yes, his stats might not match up to what others have, but what he brings as a leader can't be understated. If I were to compare him to Voss, I'd say that Voss (while still an absolute legend don't get me wrong) was lucky enough to have a few peers around him who had great leadership qualities as well. Who does Zorks have really, besides Harris Andrews, who could step up to that Captaincy role if something happened? We have a lot of great players, but none of them scream "LEADER" like Lynch, the Scotts, Power, Brown etc.

Just my two cents though.

(BTW hi again, did anyone miss me?)

Was going to post just to say welcome back as soon as I recognised the avatar, but since you asked I'll even quote some of the post. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was going to post just to say welcome back as soon as I recognised the avatar, but since you asked I'll even quote some of the post. ;)

Good to see you too mate :)

Everyone knows I can't resist defending an underdog. Champion of the underrated me!

I think when you look at Zorko and compare him to other players, you also have to look at the circumstances.

Back in 2012, did ANYONE think Zorko would be our Captain, and be the one to Captain us to finals? Who else was firmly on the Rockliff as our great and powerful saviour bandwagon? Zorko took on the Captaincy when there was simply no other choice, and instead of letting the power get to his head or being a weak leader he stood up when we needed him and IMO has been a decent part of why Fagan has been able to turn this ship around. Yes, his stats might not match up to what others have, but what he brings as a leader can't be understated. If I were to compare him to Voss, I'd say that Voss (while still an absolute legend don't get me wrong) was lucky enough to have a few peers around him who had great leadership qualities as well. Who does Zorks have really, besides Harris Andrews, who could step up to that Captaincy role if something happened? We have a lot of great players, but none of them scream "LEADER" like Lynch, the Scotts, Power, Brown etc.

Just my two cents though.

Yes. Was actually thinking of you yesterday, hoping you are ok and that you are missed on here.

The Daniher one if he plays 6-7 seasons with us uninjured
Could be like Mitch end up playing 100 games for each side.
I really hope the best for him.. Could be the change he needed..
2021 Lions side be a good fit if he can get up and fire. You have Charlie and Hippy to take the pressure off him.
So it not just Joe getting triple teamed as no one else in the bombers side.

That is an interesting point ... I really don't think of Mitch as a Carlton player and I am not sure that they do either (does he get invited to Carlton stuff or expect to when he retires?) - it is almost as though they were two different people. Fev on the other hand played for the Lions and would have loved for him to do well here but he is far more Blue than Lion.

I suppose time and circumstances will tell re Mr Joe as a Lion and he isn't coming from as far back in the character stakes as Mitch was when he arrived!

That is an interesting point ... I really don't think of Mitch as a Carlton player and I am not sure that they do either (does he get invited to Carlton stuff or expect to when he retires?) - it is almost as though they were two different people. Fev on the other hand played for the Lions and would have loved for him to do well here but he is far more Blue than Lion.

I suppose time and circumstances will tell re Mr Joe as a Lion and he isn't coming from as far back in the character stakes as Mitch was when he arrived!
Joe also obviously has that huge family connection to Essendon but time will tell as to how long he stays at the Lions and what he achieves.

I'd have him in the side for all 3 GF wins.

Dayne Zorko in.

2001- Tim Notting out.
2002- Aaron Shattock out.
2003- Richard Hadley out.

Too much emphasis should not be placed on grand final wins when determining the greatness of a player IMO, plenty of great players never played in a flag side eg. Tony Lockett, Gary Ablett Snr, Nick Reiwoldt, Robert Harvey, Kevin Murray, Bernie Quinlan.
Zorko would have been a devastating player back in the flag era as all the attention was on Voss, Black, Akermanis.

No way I'm tossing Poss out of the 2001 team, by the way. May not have won that game without him!

Scott McIvor is the only other, a very underrated player too. His stats at the the three clubs were:

1985–1987 Fitzroy 55 (15)
1988–1996 Brisbane Bears 138 (77)
1997 Brisbane Lions 7 (4)
Total 200 (96)

There were plenty that played for both Fitzroy and the Bears and one of those and the Brisbane Lions but only Lynch and McIvor represented all three clubs that are the Brisbane Lions.
McIvor was a champion at Fitzroy at the ages of 19 and 20; one of the best handballers I saw in the colours. Never really recaptured that form at the Bears.

McIvor was a champion at Fitzroy at the ages of 19 and 20; one of the best handballers I saw in the colours. Never really recaptured that form at the Bears.
Scotty was amazing when he was younger and yeah you are right, was an amazing handballer and distributor of the ball and one of the first taller mids when guys seemed shorter back then.

Brad was a gun, such a shame injuries crippled hiim.

The best of the Roys players we got , easily - and just coming into his prime. Had he stayed fit, we would have 3 minor premierships to go along with the cups.

Back