Which 00s key forward would you build a modern team around?

Which 00s key forward would you build a modern team around?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 28, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
After watching On The Couch, I got into a debate about who was a better player, Nick Riewoldt or Jonathan Brown.

This got me thinking, how does the footy public rate the key forwards of the 00s era? So imagine, if you were starting a team from scratch in 2022, which key forward would you pick to build it around?

Some talking points:
  • Which key forward would suit the modern game the most?
  • Are you going for peak performance at their prime, or longevity?
  • Would an ageing Wayne Carey, or a young Lance Franklin make this list?
  • Are there any underrated forwards that would be better to build a full team around, such as a David Neitz, Chris Tarrant, or Cam Mooney?
  • Is there a player that didn't play forward back then, but would suit it now like a James Hird?
  • Do you take a player with behaviour issues to build your team around?

Eric Hipwood.

All the listed players were fantastic, but there is one who was more than just head and shoulders above the rest, and that's Buddy. The most likely to be elevated to Legend status is the person you'd pick first.

All the listed players were fantastic, but there is one who was more than just head and shoulders above the rest, and that's Buddy. The most likely to be elevated to Legend status is the person you'd pick first.
Abilitywise yes he is the best on the list however modern football is about working up the ground and sprinting hard back and playing a defensive role

With the Buddy Franklin picks, I would say that you would be getting him as a string bean in his first few years in the comp. I would pick one of the established forwards from the 00s era specifically.

At his peak, I would say Jonathan Brown was the best on this list, but was injured a lot, suspended a lot, and slowed them massively in his last few years in the comp. Nick Riewoldt was a very different player to Brown, but just as good and had better longevity.

If we're picking a pure full-forward, I don't think you can go past Matthew Lloyd, who is the dictionary definition of that position.

With the Buddy Franklin picks, I would say that you would be getting him as a string bean in his first few years in the comp. I would pick one of the established forwards from the 00s era specifically.

At his peak, I would say Jonathan Brown was the best on this list, but was injured a lot, suspended a lot, and slowed them massively in his last few years in the comp. Nick Riewoldt was a very different player to Brown, but just as good and had better longevity.

If we're picking a pure full-forward, I don't think you can go past Matthew Lloyd, who is the dictionary definition of that position.
He kicked 73 in 07, 113 in 08 and 67 in 09. Even in 06 he kicked 31 in 14 games. String bean Franklin was still good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eric Hipwood.
Lol

Richo’s running capacity was huge and would be very valuable in todays game. Not to mention he was a contested marking beast so also good for the 50/50 contest down the line.

Richo’s running capacity was huge and would be very valuable in todays game. Not to mention he was a contested marking beast so also good for the 50/50 contest down the line.
For a key forward second only to Nick Riewoldt in that regard. Going to games I used marvel at him leading his man for literal repeat 50-80m sprints to the wing and back all day long. Not many key backs could go with him after about a quarter.

Always had a theory that played a part in why his kicking was so erratic being that gassed all the time. Then again wouldn't have got as many looks due to his direct opponent being out on his feet if he didn't do the running.

Back