Which 2 teams should play the season opener?

Remove this Banner Ad

Should be two teams on the up that people want to watch.

GF rematch should happen later than round one. Anzac Day would be good.

Agreed - have always hated the idea - you don't need the runner-up around when the premiers are unfurling the flag etc. For this reason though, round 1 for the premier should always be at home. They deserve that!

Round 1 doesn't need to be special in terms of rivalries, etc - the plain fact it's round 1 is it's feature.

Some teams with relevance. Why stick with 2 rubbish teams for it. Stupid.
Because these two clubs draw big crowds whether they are successful or not, something that most clubs can't do, ensuring a big crowd at the opening game, the AFL dont do anything unless its making them some good coin.

I'm not sure you understand the type of relevance that the AFL favours?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because these two clubs draw big crowds whether they are successful or not, something that most clubs can't do, ensuring a big crowd at the opening game, the AFL dont do anything unless its making them some good coin.

I'm not sure you understand the type of relevance that the AFL favours?

Oh so if two other Vic clubs were scheduled for the season opener they wouldn't draw a big crowd?

The season opener is usually played at the G
To get the season off to a flying start (yes I know it's a stretch ) the AFL want a big big crowd
Richmond vs Carlton
Collingwood vs Essendon
Or any combination of the above will achieve that
Hawthorn vs Geelong would do the same
And it's all but assured that the crowds will turn out for those games and the AFL know it
As for the rest of the teams in the comp I doubt the AFL could trust that there fans would turn out in force
The interstate teams because of travel and it only being round 1
And the remaining Melbourne teams because to be honest they don't even half fill Etihad stadium half the time
So I guess the AFL would probably like to share it around but feel they can't trust the fans of certain clubs to turn up
And on the evidence who can blame them

How can you say you guys deserve a season opener. It would be like me saying the Lions deserve it.
There is an obvious reason they deserve it, they draw big crowds.

2012 - 78,285
2013 - 80,971
2014 - 62,037
2015 - 83,493
2016 - 75,706

Of the top ten crowds in the history of the game Carlton was involved 6 times, Richmond 4 times and Collingwood 5, so really tell me who else deserves it more than one of these three clubs?

Its time to give "the big 4" some coverage its been a lean 36 years for most of them.

There is an obvious reason they deserve it, they draw big crowds.

2012 - 78,285
2013 - 80,971
2014 - 62,037
2015 - 83,493
2016 - 75,706

Of the top ten crowds in the history of the game Carlton was involved 6 times, Richmond 4 times and Collingwood 5, so really tell me who else deserves it more than one of these three clubs?
Plenty of other games that can draw big crowds.

Geelong vs Hawthorn.

* knows why that isn't already the case.

Or do the 2 grand finalists

Remove this Banner Ad

Back