Which 2 teams should play the season opener?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can see the AFL replacing North with the Dogs now that they are minor premier and North are expected to be s**t house next year.
Haven't the Dogs been asking for GF footy too?

Not for as long.

I'd like the premiers to choose. Let them have a home game against any team of their choice from the finals and open the season with them unfurling the flag and defending their turf.

Kony Abbott

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You can say many things about Richmond but I don't think you can say they're boring, its always an emotional rollercoaster.
Think it should stay as is.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
5 pages in and no-one has brought up Port v Gold Coast in China? Coz its gonna happen. Every Port supporter has been telling me it WILL happen in 2017. Having it opening round Thursday night gives both teams time to get back for a Saturday/Sunday game the following week.

Feb 15, 2002
Jackson-Steinem
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bluestar Airlines, Anacott Steel
I've always wondered why clubs fixture requests are based on generating revenue as opposed to maximising the opportunity for 4 points.

e.g the Saints requests of a home game v Collingwood at the MCG versus a home game vs Brisbane at Etihad.

Carlton in round 2 would be one of those requests, 4 wins from 17 in the 2000's

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
EJ Whitten game?:)

dcutter

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I reckon the grand final replay should be the Good Friday match. We have had step Anzac, Queens birthday and dreamtime at the G games recently. If we are going to have a single match on Good Friday it shouldn't be a monopoly for 2 teams in perpetuity.

Opening match should be Freo vs Doggies in Perth. We were threat team to beat them and need a ego boost going into the new season.

No. If Freo play the opener then do it with the lights out.

The first game should ultimately be cause for great optimism amongst the footballing public that our beloved game is back. Watching Freo reminds me of everything bad our game can be at times.

They play the worst brand of football there is. Unwatchable at times.

They should be banished from nearly all prime time slots like Carlton were this year until they can find a coach who can execute a game plan that is somewhere remotely relevant to the modern game.

Dogs v anyone but Freo

NathanMX

Premiership Player
Dec 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Given the Swans habit of not turning up on the last game of the year it should be

1st vs 18th

start the season with a bloodbath end with one ;)

TeeJay Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Richmond v Essendon (Dreamtime at the G)
Collingwood v Essendon (ANZAC)
Collingwood v Melbourne (Queen's Birthday)
Geelong v Hawthorn (Easter Monday)
Melbourne v Western Bulldogs (Women's Match)
Geelong v Essendon (Potentially long-lasting Rural Match)
North, St. Kilda and Bulldogs fighting for Good Friday match.

Carlton have only one significantly big match which draws large crowds and people are whinging. Teams don't stay s**t forever.
All of our teams play round 1 and all have a big game during the year, so quit complaining.

Besides, we only had the one Thursday night match this year after rightly being removed from Friday nights due to the AFL making us a laughing stock for two years with Sunday night matches (2014) and several disastrous Friday night matches with tough teams (one being the reigning premiers which for no apparent reason, the blues had to face twice last year).

And this years opener wasn't as bad as what people were initially thinking. All I was hearing is how much were the blues going to get pumped by when it ended up only being a 9 point win to the tigers.

If it is bringing the AFL money, they are not going to stop it. This thread is a waste of time, people are crying over spilt milk and making mountains out of molehills.

End the thread already.

Last edited:

BattlerGM

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Relevant to what, sucking?

The first game of the season should be a showcase, not two crap teams who are near the bottom of the ladder fighting it out to show which team has the worse skills.

Don't think for one second there's a link between being good at footy and being relevant. People always give a s**t about Carlton and Richmond, even if they're 17th and 18th. They're of a great deal of public interest - that's what makes them relevant.

Back