Which 2 teams should play the season opener?

Remove this Banner Ad

5 pages in and no-one has brought up Port v Gold Coast in China? Coz its gonna happen. Every Port supporter has been telling me it WILL happen in 2017. Having it opening round Thursday night gives both teams time to get back for a Saturday/Sunday game the following week.
Hmm, only if both teams get left in China.

Grand Final replay at the home ground of the winner to give them a chance to unfurl the premiership flag in the opening match
I agree that the premiership team should have the opportunity to unfurl the flag as the opening match but maybe against the 9th team?

I always feel like a grand final rematch always cheapens the grand final if held in round 1.

I don't think it's broken so why fix it ?
Carlton v Richmond always pulls a crowd, has a good atmosphere & gets ratings. Let it be.
And at the end of the day, if it's not your own team, who really gives a s**t which of the other 17 tees off first ?

Don't care. I'm so starved for footy by then, it doesn't matter.

But it will come down to what date the season starts and what grounds are available, given that the MCG, SCG, Gabba and AO are shared with cricket. Can't always have a big opening game if the AFL want to start a week early before the cricket season ends.

Last edited:
Dogs Swans. Last game was great so will next one.
Or giants dogs. Thatd be very nice.

5 pages in and no-one has brought up Port v Gold Coast in China? Coz its gonna happen. Every Port supporter has been telling me it WILL happen in 2017. Having it opening round Thursday night gives both teams time to get back for a Saturday/Sunday game the following week.

Mack Horton tried his best to ensure it wouldn't happen. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't care. I'm so starved for booty by then, it doesn't matter.

But it will come down to what date the season starts and what grounds are available, given that the MCG, SCG, Gabba and AO are shared with cricket. Can't always have a big opening game if the AFL want to start a week early before the cricket season ends.
Don't get much in the off season hey?

Round 1 should always be between 2 teams of the big 4 and seeing as Collingwood v Essendon have Anzac Day then opening round should be between Carlton and Richmond. Deal with it minnows

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
In that case it should be West Coast and Adelaide. Is Carlton even Victorian "big 4" any more? Surely Hawthorn have overtaken them.

I always say it should be the premiers vs the team they beat in the Preliminary Final. The team that would of won the flag if they just bet one opponent.

Crows v Giants or Swans On Thursday followed by a big Victorian game on Friday.You know u would get a sold out Adelaide oval which is as good if not better tv atmosphere than 70,000 at the G.Ratings wise it makes more sense than two Victorian teams as Victorians would watch anyway. Crows with Rockcliff playing his first game :)/Swans Giants should all be contenders.Problem with Swans or Giants versus Bulldogs is u would get15,000 less than Tigers v Blues at the G

Remove this Banner Ad

Back