Which 2 teams were the closest rivals for Test supremacy in a single era?

Remove this Banner Ad

Heisenberg111

Senior List
Feb 11, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Here I am listing in order the list of two teams who were closest together in strength contesting for no.1 spot in Test Cricket.

1. West Indies-Pakistan ( From 1986-1988)

Pakistan had the better batting line up and more diverse bowling attack. The Calypsos averted defeat by the very skin of their teeth in their backyard in 1988. The series should have been won 2-0 by Pakistan instead of being 1-1,but for bad umpiring in the 3rd test which denied Pakistan a spectacular victory and thereby the title of Unofficial World Test Champions.

2. South Africa-Australia (From 1997-1998)

Australia won 2 series by margin of one test in this period but it could well have gone the other way in South Africa and should have been 1-1 in Australia. The Proteas had more allrounder and batting depth but the Kangaroos had more match winners. A spectacle witnessing players like Cronje, Donald, Kirsten, Pollock and Cullinan against the likes of Waugh brothers, Ponting, Mcgrath and Warne.

3. South Africa-Australia (2008-09)

The results of successive series testified the evaluation. South Africa winning 2-1 in Australia and Australia winning 2-1 in South Africa .Morally a 3-3 result was great for a weakened Australia without Mcgrath, Warne, Langer and Gilly. South Africa had a deadly attack with Steyn and Morkel and a great allrounder in Kallis. Mitchell Johnson was a trumpcard for Australia and also the late Phil Hughes.

4. India in South Africa 2010-11

Two top evenly matched sides fought a war of attrition in the deciding test which was drawn. The ebbs and flows reminded you of the waters of the river Ganges .India had stronger batting while the Proteas had more deadly bowling.

So which among these 4 was the greatest rivalry for the no.1 spot ? Discuss

None really stand out to me.
Not convinced Pakistan was ever that close to West Indies in the 80's. They had a good team but Windies were still clearly number one side in world. Second best was some distance in my opinion. Although that does not mean that a single series was lopsided but in the era itself I never felt any side close to West Indies then.

I think the closest rivalry I enjoyed as in teams quite evenly matched and probably top two in world at the time was after the mid 90's with Australia and South Africa.

The highest standard era for me was the late 70's which was my first introduction to cricket , which was World Series Cricket.
Watching West Indies, Australia and World Xi go at it for two seasons in a row was gold standard.

After that was over Australia probably had some good Tests versus West Indies in Australia but we could never beat them in a series as our batting just was too shallow. But Lillee was such a brilliant bowler you always felt you had a chance. Our openers were not great though so our batting was too vulnerable and our tail virtually started at 8. Against West Indies back then, that meant you were going to lose most times.

But if talking an era where clearly number one side felt like playing number two and not much difference, the closest for me in my time felt the late 90's with Australia and South Africa. It was fun when they had Allan Donald.

None really stand out to me.
Not convinced Pakistan was ever that close to West Indies in the 80's. They had a good team but Windies were still clearly number one side in world. Second best was some distance in my opinion. Although that does not mean that a single series was lopsided but in the era itself I never felt any side close to West Indies then.

I think the closest rivalry I enjoyed as in teams quite evenly matched and probably top two in world at the time was after the mid 90's with Australia and South Africa.

The highest standard era for me was the late 70's which was my first introduction to cricket , which was World Series Cricket.
Watching West Indies, Australia and World Xi go at it for two seasons in a row was gold standard.

After that was over Australia probably had some good Tests versus West Indies in Australia but we could never beat them in a series as our batting just was too shallow. But Lillee was such a brilliant bowler you always felt you had a chance. Our openers were not great though so our batting was too vulnerable and our tail virtually started at 8. Against West Indies back then, that meant you were going to lose most times.

But if talking an era where clearly number one side felt like playing number two and not much difference, the closest for me in my time felt the late 90's with Australia and South Africa. It was fun when they had Allan Donald.
I agree that OZ/SA were probably the most closely matched rivalry in the late 90's but Pak/WI were competing for the Unofficial World Test Championship in the late 80's, and they were easily the top 2 teams of the 80's. Pakistan came close to beating WI in their backyard in 1988, but some dodgy decisions robbed them of the Unofficial World Test Champion title.

Here I am listing in order the list of two teams who were closest together in strength contesting for no.1 spot in Test Cricket.

1. West Indies-Pakistan ( From 1986-1988)

Pakistan had the better batting line up and more diverse bowling attack. The Calypsos averted defeat by the very skin of their teeth in their backyard in 1988. The series should have been won 2-0 by Pakistan instead of being 1-1,but for bad umpiring in the 3rd test which denied Pakistan a spectacular victory and thereby the title of Unofficial World Test Champions.

2. South Africa-Australia (From 1997-1998)

Australia won 2 series by margin of one test in this period but it could well have gone the other way in South Africa and should have been 1-1 in Australia. The Proteas had more allrounder and batting depth but the Kangaroos had more match winners. A spectacle witnessing players like Cronje, Donald, Kirsten, Pollock and Cullinan against the likes of Waugh brothers, Ponting, Mcgrath and Warne.

3. South Africa-Australia (2008-09)

The results of successive series testified the evaluation. South Africa winning 2-1 in Australia and Australia winning 2-1 in South Africa .Morally a 3-3 result was great for a weakened Australia without Mcgrath, Warne, Langer and Gilly. South Africa had a deadly attack with Steyn and Morkel and a great allrounder in Kallis. Mitchell Johnson was a trumpcard for Australia and also the late Phil Hughes.

4. India in South Africa 2010-11

Two top evenly matched sides fought a war of attrition in the deciding test which was drawn. The ebbs and flows reminded you of the waters of the river Ganges .India had stronger batting while the Proteas had more deadly bowling.

So which among these 4 was the greatest rivalry for the no.1 spot ? Discuss

All were fairly decent rivalries at the time but it’s hard to give a definitive ranking or evaluation of a rivalry if it was only ever active or top-shelf for a series or two

I’d have thought West Indies and Australia between 1991 and 1995 was pretty good.

I think what has made the best teams is longevity - that’s why they were so highly regarded, and the logistics of that dictates that their nearest rivals were rarely close to them for long.

You’d be hard pressed to say they were the second best team in the world at any stage of this but India were the one team who, the 99-00 series aside, didn’t appear ‘scared’ of Australia for a lot of their run at the top.

Obviously their home conditions helped this and the absence of McGrath in 03-04 in Australia (I doubt Warne would have made much difference) but India in 98, 01, 03-04 and 2004 were never short on balls against Australia and it made for some great cricket.

West Indies vs Australia from 92-93 through to 99 was good.

Classic series in Australia, followed by an attritional series in 95 that saw the balance tip, West Indies lost 3-2 in 96-97 and then Lara Walsh and Ambrose basically carried them to 2-2 in 1999.

All were fairly decent rivalries at the time but it’s hard to give a definitive ranking or evaluation of a rivalry if it was only ever active or top-shelf for a series or two

I’d have thought West Indies and Australia between 1991 and 1995 was pretty good.

I think what has made the best teams is longevity - that’s why they were so highly regarded, and the logistics of that dictates that their nearest rivals were rarely close to them for long.

You’d be hard pressed to say they were the second best team in the world at any stage of this but India were the one team who, the 99-00 series aside, didn’t appear ‘scared’ of Australia for a lot of their run at the top.

Obviously their home conditions helped this and the absence of McGrath in 03-04 in Australia (I doubt Warne would have made much difference) but India in 98, 01, 03-04 and 2004 were never short on balls against Australia and it made for some great cricket.

Classic series in Australia, followed by an attritional series in 95 that saw the balance tip, West Indies lost 3-2 in 96-97 and then Lara Walsh and Ambrose basically carried them to 2-2 in 1999.
Good post, India Australia rivalry was great, but here I am talking between the no.1 and no.2 sides battling for the Test crown. Australia was always the no.1 team from late 90's to mid 2000's but I am not sure if India were no.2 in that period.

Good post, India Australia rivalry was great, but here I am talking between the no.1 and no.2 sides battling for the Test crown. Australia was always the no.1 team from late 90's to mid 2000's but I am not sure if India were no.2 in that period.

100 per cent and for a big part of Australia’s time at the top the obvious second best team was South Africa but their close series with Australia probably weren’t regular enough to constitute a head to head rivalry whereas India who still struggled everywhere they went and were still occasionally vulnerable at home but seemed to really lift against Australia

The West Indies in early 90's were well past their best but still number one.
It is why we started to get closer to them.
1991 in West Indies , I cannot remember the scores but I remember it being great cricket and first time I felt West Indies were *almost" gettable.
Viv Richards and Greenidge all on their last legs and Australia batting was starting to become good with Waugh brothers starting to play in same team from time to time. Craig McDermott bowled out of his skin at times and really had Windes bats rattled but this series not seen much in Australia as it really on when most people asleep.
There were some real sliding door moments in this series and it had a lot of fire too. A classic moment was Dean Jones given out run out when he should never have been out. What happened was he got bowled, it was a no ball, for some reason he never heard the no ball call and was heading towards dressing with Border trying to yell at him, it was a no ball. Someone from Windies took bails off and appealed for run out, then that was given out. Probably a couple of minutes later some cooler heads would have reversed the decision but by that time Dean Jones was in the dressing room and you cannot call someone back then. Cannot remember whom the umpire was, but you cannot be given run out in those circumstances, but he was...
I think the noise from crowd is part of reason Jones never heard the no ball call, but he also did not hear Border screaming at him, so he was in his own world at the moment, seemingly pissed with himself getting bowled, but not aware enough to hear the no ball call.

100 per cent and for a big part of Australia’s time at the top the obvious second best team was South Africa but their close series with Australia probably weren’t regular enough to constitute a head to head rivalry whereas India who still struggled everywhere they went and were still occasionally vulnerable at home but seemed to really lift against Australia
Yeah, South Africa really struggled against OZ in early to mid 2000's. Lost 1-5 to OZ home and away in 2001/02 and lost 0-5 to OZ in 2005/06. So they won only one test against OZ and lost 10 in those 4 series, which also included being whitewashed by OZ 3-0 at home in 2006.

India in comparison always punched above their weight against OZ, like Pakistan did against the West Indies in late 80's and early 90's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely, would have been a great contest between Ali Bacher's and Ian Chappell's great sides. A shame we missed that.
I was only noticing the World Xi line up scorecard v Australia in last Supertest of 78-79 summer and it really makes you think how good South Africa could have been throughout most of the 1970's.
Barry Richards and Eddie Barlow opened
Clive Rice and Mike Proctor allrounders
Garth Le Roux bowling

Then there was a certain stunning player called Graham Pollock that was not part of Test or World Series Cricket but was clearly a true great.

Probably other South Africans I did not know off. They would have been some side in 70's I suspect and at certain times they surely would have been number one.

I was only noticing the World Xi line up scorecard v Australia in last Supertest of 78-79 summer and it really makes you think how good South Africa could have been throughout most of the 1970's.
Barry Richards and Eddie Barlow opened
Clive Rice and Mike Proctor allrounders
Garth Le Roux bowling

Then there was a certain stunning player called Graham Pollock that was not part of Test or World Series Cricket but was clearly a true great.

Probably other South Africans I did not know off. They would have been some side in 70's I suspect and at certain times they surely would have been number one.
South Africa had insane level of talent in the 70's and I am sure Tony Greig, Kepler Wessels, Allen Lamb, Peter Kristen, Henry Fotheringham, Jimmy Cook would have stayed in South Africa, had they not been banned - that’s tremendous level of talent, could have been as good as the Aussies of 2000s.

Ian Chappell's side was no.1 but they didn’t face Ali Bacher’s South Africa between 1971-1976, which would have been their true test.

1991 in West Indies , I cannot remember the scores but I remember it being great cricket and first time I felt West Indies were *almost" gettable.
Viv Richards and Greenidge all on their last legs and Australia batting was starting to become good with Waugh brothers starting to play in same team from time to time. Craig McDermott bowled out of his skin at times and really had Windes bats rattled but this series not seen much in Australia as it really on when most people asleep.
There were some real sliding door moments in this series and it had a lot of fire too. A classic moment was Dean Jones given out run out when he should never have been out. What happened was he got bowled, it was a no ball, for some reason he never heard the no ball call and was heading towards dressing with Border trying to yell at him, it was a no ball. Someone from Windies took bails off and appealed for run out, then that was given out. Probably a couple of minutes later some cooler heads would have reversed the decision but by that time Dean Jones was in the dressing room and you cannot call someone back then. Cannot remember whom the umpire was, but you cannot be given run out in those circumstances, but he was...
I think the noise from crowd is part of reason Jones never heard the no ball call, but he also did not hear Border screaming at him, so he was in his own world at the moment, seemingly pissed with himself getting bowled, but not aware enough to hear the no ball call.

I think the umpire was Bailache but I’m
Not certain

For now even disregarding the guys to play test cricket elsewhere, the South African 70's and early 80's team would have been phenomenal (7 of which played in the 4-0 drubbing of Australia in 69-70). Would have gone along the lines of:

1. Ed Barlow (B: 1940, Test ave 45)
2. Barry Richards (B: 1945, Test ave 72 from 4 tests, FC ave 54)
3. Ali Bacher captain (B: 1942, Test ave 32, FC ave 39)
----- Jimmy Cook would have replaced either Barlow or Bacher as they aged in the mid 70's (B: 1953, FC ave 50)
----- Peter Kirsten would have replaced the other, or maybe Irvine (B: 1955, FC ave: 44, Test ave was 31 but he was 37yo when he debuted)
4. Graham Pollock (B: 1944, Test ave 60 from 23 tests, FC ave 54)
5. Lee Irvine (B: 1944, Test ave 50 from 4 tests, FC ave 40)
----- Ken McKewan another candidate to replace Irvine (B: 1952, FC ave: 41)
6. Clive Rice (B: 1949, no tests, FC ave 40 / 22)
7. Mike Proctor (B: 1946, Test ave 25 / 15 from 7 tests, FC ave 36 / 19)
8. Alan Kourie (B: 1951 FC ave 34 / 23)
9. Ray Jennings (B: 1954, FC ave 23, 621 dismissals @ 4/match)
10. Peter Pollock (B: 1941, Test ave 21 / 24 from 28 tests, FC ave 22 / 21)
---- Vince Van Der Bijl to take over from Pollock who retired from FC cricket in 1971* (B: 1948, FC ave 16)
---- Stephen Jeffries to take over from Van Der Bijl (B: 1959, FC ave: 25 / 27)
11. Garth Le Roux (B: 1955, no tests, FC ave 21)

In reserve as a quick bowler you've also got Rupert Hanley (B: 1952, FC ave: 20)

* Pollock may have stayed longer if test cricket was available to him.

The sweet spot would have been just as Le Roux arrived, whilst Graham Pollock, Barry Richards and Mike Proctor were still at their peak and before they would have started declining, so you're looking at ~1976 to 1979. Clive Rice would have still been well in his prime at this stage. As said if test cricket was still available Peter Pollock may have still be around, but looking at Van Der Bijl, Jeffries and Hanley's records and the way they are talked about I don't think the team is losing much in that role even if P Pollock was retired.

Then you factor in the guys that left to play test cricket elsewhere that likely would have stayed - Tony Greig, Allen Lamb, Kepler Wessels.

I also remember reading an article from Peter Kirsten who said through this period there were a number of high quality black cricketers who played in their own leagues that were completely disregarding from selection in FC cricket, and certainly disregarded from test cricket selection before the ban.

I've probably even overlooked one or two as well.

Last edited:
For now even disregarding the guys to play test cricket elsewhere, the South African 70's and early 80's team would have been phenomenal (7 of which played in the 4-0 drubbing of Australia in 69-70). Would have gone along the lines of:

----- Jimmy Cook would have replaced either Barlow or Bacher as they aged in the mid 70's (B: 1953, FC ave 50)
----- Peter Kirsten would have replaced the other, or maybe Irvine (B: 1955, FC ave: 44, Test ave was 31 but he was 37yo when he debuted)
---- Vince Van Der Bijl to take over from Pollock who retired from FC cricket in 1971* (B: 1948, FC ave 16)

In reserve as a quick bowler you've also got Rupert Hanley (B: 1952, FC ave: 20)

The sweet spot would have been just as Le Roux arrived, whilst Graham Pollock, Barry Richards and Mike Proctor were still at their peak and before they would have started declining, so you're looking at ~1976 to 1979. Clive Rice would have still been well in his prime at this stage. As said if test cricket was still available Peter Pollock may have still be around, but looking at Van Der Bijl, Jeffries and Hanley's records and the way they are talked about I don't think the team is losing much in that role even if P Pollock was retired.

Then you factor in the guys that left to play test cricket elsewhere that likely would have stayed - Tony Greig, Allen Lamb, Kepler Wessels.

I also remember reading an article from Peter Kirsten who said through this period there were a number of high quality black cricketers who played in their own leagues that were completely disregarding from selection in FC cricket, and certainly disregarded from test cricket selection before the ban.
That side would have beaten Ian Chappell's team, I reckon, but sadly we will never get to know:frowning:

Robin Smith also South African that played for England in the 80's in similar time to Allan Lamb

That side would have beaten Ian Chappell's team, I reckon, but sadly we will never get to know:frowning:
Yeah I think they probably just edged our team, but I wouldn't say 100%. Any team with Lillee, Thomson and G Chappell (not forgetting Marsh, Walters, I Chappell, Redpath, Mallett, Walker) in it is going to have a chance in any contest.

Then moving on to contests with the West Indies in the late 70's and early 80's.

The world really did miss out as a consequence of the most heinous of actions.

Whiter than most afl fanbases

Australia were much better team by 96/97. Poor wickets at MCG & Perth gave west indies result there. But series was 3-1 before final test.
In 1999 Lara's brilliant performance carried them to draw but aside from Ambrose & Walsh there wasn't much support.

We should have won that series.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back