macca23

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
One of the big contributors to the Crows improvement in 2002 was the stepping up of 2nd tier players such as Bode, Doughty, Ladhams, John****, Welsh etc.

Players who are not likely to be in our opening side for 2003 if all players are available are

Massie
Mattner
Crowell
Gallagher
Perrie
Marsh
Nelson
Schell
Smith
Riley
Schuback
Hentschel
Bock
Ruttner

Do you think any of these will step up in 2003 and if so, who do you think is the most likely? Also possible surprises?

Mine are:

Most likely: Mattner, Massie, Hentschel

Surprises: Smith, Schuback, Rutten

Originally posted by macca23
One of the big contributors to the Crows improvement in 2002 was the stepping up of 2nd tier players such as Bode, Doughty, Ladhams, John****, Welsh etc.

Players who are not likely to be in our opening side for 2003 if all players are available are

Massie - Reckon he may well just step up this year with some confidence. Where is he best suited - wing or across HB?
Mattner - Should be groomed as a run-with player as he has an awesome tackle. Likely to play half the games.
Crowell - Suprised with his improvement in 2002, but can he keep it up in 2003, or will opportunities be limited with the recruitment of Torney?
Gallagher - Very damaging player on his day, with superb skill on both feet. If stays injury free, will put good pressure on Doughty, Ladhams & Bode for spots in out midfield.
Perrie - Needs to take the next step or will be delisted next year. More suited as the 3rd tall forward rather than a backman.
Marsh - No coment, bloody contracts!
Nelson - Can only see him playing if we have injuries. Can't improve further IMO.
Schell - Didn't like the recruitment of him & nothing I have seen has changed my mind.
Smith - Haven't seen enough of him to comment.
Riley - Going to be a gun, but Sturt need to play him in the seniors more for him to step up.
Schuback - as per Smith.
Hentschel - as per Smith
Bock - Thought he was a little lucky to come of the Rookie list, longer term prospect as he puts on weight.
Ruttner - Talented prospect who should be developed as tall backman, who can go forward if need be.

Most likely: Mattner, Massie, Gallagher, Rutten, Riley

Surprises: Any of the others, particularly those I haven't seen much of yet. Marsh would be a shock!

I thought Massie, Crowell and Mattner all showed a bit this year in various roles, enough to suggest that they could improve further and take another step in 2003. I think Gags is another with the class to be in the 22 and he'll be extra keen (after probably taking a backwards step this season) to find a spot in the side. Injuries will not doubt surface along the way and these are the players that will ensure we don't fall down ladder when they occur.

I've got a feeling in my bones Kris Massie will be a revelation next season. Last year too often when he got the footy his instincts were all Carlton - sideways or backwards, or a little chip kick (possession at all costs). With a year in the Adelaide system under his belt (and a couple of decent finals), I reckon he'll have a lot more confidence and play a lot more directly.

I've also got high hopes for James Gallagher to put 2002 behind him.

My choice as a player to take the next step is the same as marvins in Kris Massie who after an early setback due to an injury played well for most of the games he played in last year, just has to improve his speed in the first 5 mtrs & will become a regular,

Ben Rutten is the one i am looking forward to especially as Zombie has a bit of a wrap for him [is this good or bad??]
but he has the size for a key position & i think he finished 2nd or 3rd in the West Adelaide medal count which is not bad for an 18yr old so the lad should have some ability,

Of the others Mattner will take the next step & by all reports Hentschel has pretty big wraps on him from people that are in the know,

Based on the "form" of last season, the top three you have named should be capable of stepping up to the next level.

Massie - In fact I believe Massie is already there; he just needs continuity in the team and he could cement a place as a regular

Mattner - Experience seems to be what is lacking; he has the rest. (What was it? 13 tackles against /at Geelong- Thats amazing for such a young lad who obviously has the pace of the game . He could have won the Jack Oatey Medal too IMHO.

Crowell - I thought he may have moved up a notch this year but didnt.

I cant wait to see Ruttner some more; who showed a bit o class in the Wizardwok.

I think if Ben Marsh has a backbone he will step up to the next level but opportunities will rob him (hopefully)- Maybe as a reworked CHB:D

Same boat for Perrie and Gallagher- opportunities will rob them also

I see Massie taking on the Johnson role .. and hopefully succeeding!! - I think he can.

Rutten will be good and I'd say he could get a few games next year.

Mattner got enough games as a rookie [ahead of Rutten too] off the rookie list, so I'd expect him to get the nod over a few others -and he seems to have what it takes!

If ever Ben Marsh needs a rocket he should read these boards - i'd say the match committee must say nicer things to him that what is said here. Did someone say he is under contract? I thought contracts were made to be broken - especially in the AFL.

Originally posted by dezzmo
I see Massie taking on the Johnson role .. and hopefully succeeding!! - I think he can.
I don't think Massie quite has the pace of Johnson? (or am I wrong?) Gallagher could be the one to replace Johnson.

If ever Ben Marsh needs a rocket he should read these boards - i'd say the match committee must say nicer things to him that what is said here. Did someone say he is under contract? I thought contracts were made to be broken - especially in the AFL.
Tell that to the MCC!

Originally posted by topjars
Mattner - Experience seems to be what is lacking; he has the rest. (What was it? 13 tackles against /at Geelong- Thats amazing for such a young lad who obviously has the pace of the game . He could have won the Jack Oatey Medal too IMHO.
Season high for one match those 13 tackles.

Originally posted by DaveW

I don't think Massie quite has the pace of Johnson? (or am I wrong?) Gallagher could be the one to replace Johnson.

Massie has enough football ability to replace Johnson but definitely not his pace nor the penetration of his kick. He showed his ability in the Collingwood final where he was used as a mid-fielder and played excellently.

Can a player like Massie be taught how to gain pace, because IMO this is the one thing that holds him back from being a real top-liner??

A fit Gallagher would make a definite contribution and add variety to the mid-field. Great pace and foot skills.

Yep, I have a feeling Mattner wil step up, and gut feeling says that Rutten will too.

I reckon, we might even see a greater improvement from Bode, Massie and Welsh.

the role left by kane johnson will be filled by Tyson Stengline ...and his tagging role will go to marty Mattner ......

the 3 players to step up will be

1...........matty bode .......will take another step forward
2...........big benny rutten.....where we fell down last season...against brisband we didnt have that extra big defender........and if he not good on the night....it will allow Mark Stevens or Wayne Carey to go back there......and we will still have a tall forward line
3...........Tyson Stengline.....will go from a good run with player ....to a qulaity midfielder

thanks for your time...........and keep Ryan Fitgerald involved at the club in some way or another........everyone lets help the big fella out.....he a champion.....on fox footy or 5AA......in some way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back