Opinion Which 3 newbies are you most excited about?

Which 3 newbies are you most excited about?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I picked Kerr as one of my top 3 and although he is not playing AFL yet, he is starting to show his potential in the VFL. If he comes in for SOS I think he gives us a bit more potency inside forward 50 this week (possibly a better set shot at Goal than SOS).
Could he be our own home grown version of Cam McCarthy? (Only Bigger, Younger and hopefully Better)
Kerr is taller than Fev already and hopefully still growing.

That's not really saying much about his height as Fevola was around the 190cm mark.

Is it possible we could get ourselves 5 players from this draft? If this one 'really' works, it will set us up beautifully for the 2018 trade/draft period.

Unfair limiting to only 3. Sticking to the kids:
SPS is all class
Williamson the bolter - someone opened the door and he ain't going back in
Marchbank a Harry Taylor in the making
Fisher is quick, fearless, finds the ball and great delivery
Macreadie will be a strong reliable swingman
Kerr has the Fevola instinct of knowing when to lead, where, can clunk a mark and good kick for goal. Good size too.

Haven't seen enough of Polson to comment, apart from the Port game so best say nothing.
Pickett may need some more time on the park having missed through injury.

How does someone like Williamson slip through to the 60s??

Fair enough there can always be diamonds in the rough, but someone who was ready enough to now play well at the highest level in their first year?

Not complaining, just interested how this happens.

Is it a case of Dustin Martin-syndrome? Scouts (mistakenly) thinking he's peaked too early and has a lower ceiling?

Pickett, Marchbank and Petrevski-Seton for me of the guys new to list.
Not new to list but still new to our structure I am even more excited to see how Charlie Curnow, Jack Silvagni and Harry McKay go in 2016.
Have not been this excited for our youth since 1979.
Everywhere I look there is new talent to be excited about for the long term.
Just a follow up of my post from late last year I think my initial impression of "everywhere I look" is how I feel about the youth on the list rather than picking out 3 in particular that excite me.
Could not be happier with so many signs from so many youngsters that they bring something to the mix for the future.
Geez, give SOS a pay rise and allow him to get as many people he wants on his recruiting team. Seems like he has hit these first two off-seasons in the job out of the park. Full Back of the last century and List Strategist of this century.

the most impressive thing about Williamson might be those hands. They just seem to be quicker and stronger... there was contested possession he got off CHB last week and from the top of the southern stand I thought, that could only have been williamson... we need a highlight package of this boys work this year...

there must be some weakness that has not emerged yet?!? if you told me he was a top 10 pick i would believe you...

...i look forward to him backing himself and going for a run, got the ball at chb last week and could have gone full yarren through the square but passed it off...

the most impressive thing about Williamson might be those hands. They just seem to be quicker and stronger... there was contested possession he got off CHB last week and from the top of the southern stand I thought, that could only have been williamson... we need a highlight package of this boys work this year...

there must be some weakness that has not emerged yet?!? if you told me he was a top 10 pick i would believe you...

...i look forward to him backing himself and going for a run, got the ball at chb last week and could have gone full yarren through the square but passed it off...

Lots of impressive things about Williamson to date, but that lateral movement slicing through traffic is seriously impressive.
Already has a strong body that can pave its way through traffic.

Maybe someone......Wookie :) .....can muster up a small highlights package from Williamsons first 4 games.
It wouldn't stand out in a Yarran sort of way, but his thinking on the run is already of a high standard.

After the draft I ranked SPS as No.1 for talent and potential & Williamson 3rd.

There was a kid I had at No.2 that has yet to debut who some might say is "delicious". Best may well be yet to come. :cool:

I've changed my vote
Apologies to whoever I picked previously, but Williamson seriously moves like Pendlebury!
That is exactly who I think of when I see him move too itch. Dunno if it's the left slipper or that " time" he seems to have but to me he is a clone. May be no coincidence that Willa was also an elite basketballer and had options there too. Guys coming from that background just seem to have an awareness that natural footballers or athletes don't have quite so much of. Explains his knack of getting the " tap on" into space , lateral movement and exceptional vision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is exactly who I think of when I see him move too itch. Dunno if it's the left slipper or that " time" he seems to have but to me he is a clone. May be no coincidence that Willa was also an elite basketballer and had options there too. Guys coming from that background just seem to have an awareness that natural footballers or athletes don't have quite so much of. Explains his knack of getting the " tap on" into space , lateral movement and exceptional vision.

My thought all along is he will become a gun midfielder. Nothing I have seen so far changes that

I like the way that Fish seems to have time to measure a kick when he gets the ball. Oh and the way he cracks in at stoppages.

Yeah, he's a beauty.
Not clocking up the bigger numbers just yet, but that will come.

Love the way he dishes the ball off. No need to think things through, just instinct.
Just have a look at the speed he disposes of the ball to advantage. Weapon.

Fish, Macreadie, Williamson and SPS. definitely happy with the way they are playing.
I have them in our regular 22 each game now although would not be surprised if they are given rests during the season.
WOW - good call.

It makes that 2016 draft possibly our most successful ever in terms of immediate results.
4 teenage kids we selected are best 22 within 6 months of the draft.
And best of all they were not all first round draft picks:cool:

My three at the moment:

SPS - Seems to be growing in confidence week by week, and looks the kind of player who will improve the standard of those around him as well.
Williamson - Has hit the ground at a dead sprint and doesn't look like going back. Reckon he'll push into the midfield by next year and become the player we hoped Boeky would be.
Kerr - Probably still a while off, but I'm getting the impression that this is a kid who will absolutely thrive in an AFL environment. Very confident that he'll be a regular contributor for the club.

Just a top explanatory post right there.

I like the way that Fish seems to have time to measure a kick when he gets the ball. Oh and the way he cracks in at stoppages.
Go have a look at the pass to Wright for his second goal - under pressure off one step through traffic. Can't teach that.

Unfair limiting to only 3. Sticking to the kids:
SPS is all class
Williamson the bolter - someone opened the door and he ain't going back in
Marchbank a Harry Taylor in the making
Fisher is quick, fearless, finds the ball and great delivery
Macreadie will be a strong reliable swingman
Kerr has the Fevola instinct of knowing when to lead, where, can clunk a mark and good kick for goal. Good size too.

Haven't seen enough of Polson to comment, apart from the Port game so best say nothing.
Pickett may need some more time on the park having missed through injury.

Kerr will never be as brilliant as Fev, but he is mature (mature doesn't mean boring though, enjoys a laugh and has a good sense of humour) and level-headed and therefore likely to be a fairly consistent performer; he is also a reliable kick for goal and will likely grow a few more centimetres.

Back