Opinion Which 5 of our young players are you most excited about?

Which 5 young players?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There is great potential for every player on that list.
I'm a little surprised people dont seem that exited about Stocker, is he not training well? I dont seem to be hearing much about him.

Personally I think Paddy Dow holds the most exitement for me, we saw glimpses of what he can do, he played almost a full season last year, full preseason this summer and looks in ripping condition. He reminds me of a young and raw Dangerfield.:fire:

There is great potential for every player on that list.
I'm a little surprised people dont seem that exited about Stocker, is he not training well? I dont seem to be hearing much about him.

Personally I think Paddy Dow holds the most exitement for me, we saw glimpses of what he can do, he played almost a full season last year, full preseason this summer and looks in ripping condition. He reminds me of a young and raw Dangerfield.:fire:
Reckon because of two things..one we are meant to pick 5...and two he hasnt played yet
I left Walsh and Setters out for that reason...very hard to write about an unknown despite the hype

Reckon because of two things..one we are meant to pick 5...and two he hasnt played yet
I left Walsh and Setters out for that reason...very hard to write about an unknown despite the hype

It's hard not to be just a little excited about their prospects though.

On an individual level, he's the player I've been most thrilled for us drafting.
Thinking a little harder now, I think it was Menzel I was doing back-flips about.....such a shame.

This poll shows up Stocker to be relatively popular.
Not that he shouldn't be, but just thought a couple of other names may have been in front of him.

I picked all three of Walsh, Setters and Stocker largely because I dont know what to expect but am excited about their prospects.

I chose Willo because from the small glimpses we've seen he could be special - and we need a late pick to come good. I chose Fish because he's shown a lot in the games he's had.

Really tough Harker, I had to not select a few i wanted to.

I went for some that I think can make a difference if they fire (Fisher, Marchbank, Mackay, Setterfield. Then i checked myself and said i couldnt not select C curnow. So he rounded out the 5.

Walsh, Dow, SPS, Weitering....i just expect to make it as an A grader.

I went Curnow and Fisher because they have already shown they are at the level and both have huge upside.
McKay because he has the most upside and plays structurally the most important role imo.
I than went Walsh and Setters because I think they were the best juniors so extremely excited to see them.

I love how hard it is to just pick 5 but also that there are nearly 10 player you could add to the list.

Here are my 5 not in order.

Setterfield- I'm excited about what this guy can become if he can get his body right.

SPS- I'm excited about the pure class of this guy mixed in with toughness and flare. Add to that an uninterrupted preseason.

O'Brien- I'm excited about how he got better and better as the season when on and how good he could become.

Stocker- I'm excited because of how excited SOS and his team was on draft night and can't wait to see why.

Other (JSOS)- I'm excited because I see this as the year JSOS becomes a star for Carlton like his father and grandfather. 2019 year of the JSOS

I get why so many are excited by Curnow and Walsh but I'm surprised about Fisher he was good last year and improved from the year before but I don't think he has the upside that a lot of other players on our list have. It's been interesting to read everyone comments about him and I hope he becomes that player.

I went Curnow and Fisher because they have already shown they are at the level and both have huge upside.
McKay because he has the most upside and plays structurally the most important role imo.
I than went Walsh and Setters because I think they were the best juniors so extremely excited to see them.
Agree with you, but I think that we’ll be adding:- Stocker, Dow and SPS very soon.

Great positive thread.

Went with Curnow, could be absolutely anything, feel he's got that thing star players have where you can't compare them to past players.

Sammo, match winner on his day, that game he played against Collingwood really stood out, if he can produce that level consistently he'll be a seriously dangerous and polished player.

Harry, love a big imposing forward who's willing to throw his weight around and make his mark on the contest.

Walsh, training reports and player perceptions lead me to believe we have a really special player on our hands, supremely talented coupled with the work ethic to extract the best out of himself

Setterfield, reminds me of the bont, massive ceiling

Dow was unlucky to miss out on my top 5, am going to enjoy him bursting out of the packs for the next decade. The defenders were harder to get excited about, but think there's a bright future there with Weiters and Marchbank in particular. Really hope Willow can get his body right and back on the park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SPS since day-dot has been the man and nothing has changed that.

Marchbank - wasn't sure about him in his draft year, but I love him now. With confidence, I can see him being a dominant force down back. He's a pleasure to watch when on-song. (Had Setters here, but traded him out for Marchy - sorry Setters!)

CC - all been covered. Seems a fairly down-to-earth guy and I hope he stays that way.

Dow - late change (Sorry Walshy!) .. had Dow as my numero uno in his draft year - just ahead of Stephenson. Stephenson has made a cracking start to his career and I still reckon Dow is going to become that explosive Patty Dangerfield-like inside/outside bull. He’s got a good set of hands on him so I reckon he’ll rest forward a bit, as well. Going to be a jet, imho!

My 'other' vote is for Pickett. I still have huge wraps on Pickett. Feel sorry for the guy. Just hope he gets a full preseason under his belt next year and/or enough time to hit his straps this year. Reckon as the team progresses, he will explode. Feel like we have a lot of players like that actually - not willing to take the game by the scruff of the neck out of fear of screwing up or something, it seems. Probably comes with the losing culture, unfortunately.

Last edited:
After watching Walsh live yesterday he's rocketed up into my top5 list... Great thread Harks nearly impossible with all the upcoming talent coming through. Not impossible by the end of the year if most of your list can have good years improve their game a top10 will be a hard task...

In no particular order:

Charlie Curnow - well the hype says he could be the best player in the game going forward. The leap is breathtaking and the athleticism a thing of beauty. Still got a long way to go to be the best in the game for mine, but geez he is exciting.

Harry McKay - that height and that athleticism ... I can't wait until he breaks out for real.

Zac Fisher - Just so poised with the ball and that ability to evade and zip zip gone.

Sam Walsh - Already looks like the consummate professional footballer with an incredible football brain.

Samo Petrevski-Seton - This is our silk. Sublime skills and awareness.

I could add several more. They all excite me to be honest.

Last edited:
Back