Which AFL Players Went To Your School?

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't go to school with them. Played junior football with them in a small country town. Pomona Demons Football club. Alik Magin (Gold coast), Rhys Magin (Essendon) Jake Crawford (Gold coast), Billy Mahony (VFL, Werribee, North Ballarat), Dom Waterman (VFL, Sandringham).

From my time, Warwick Angus, Ian Herman, Sean Ralphsmith. They've had some higher profile ones since.

I played at the same junior club that Warwick Angus played at, he was a few years older than me.

The only AFL player that I know of who went to my high school was Adam White, he played about 40 games for Carlton in the late 90's. He was the year below me but I played footy and cricket with him (good basketballer too), nice bloke too :thumbsu:

Yes an impressive list. Actually 2 Brownlows with Cotchin and Bedford.

Some names ex St Pats below:

Reg Hickey
John James (1961 Brownlow)
Brian Gleeson (1957 Brownlow)
John Devine
Danny Frawley
Mick McGuane
Drew Petrie

On lists now:

Crouch brothers
Daniel Rioli
Jacob Hopper
Dan Butler
Tom Williamson

Some greats of the game.

Yes an impressive list. Actually 2 Brownlows with Cotchin and Bedford.

Some names ex St Pats below:

Reg Hickey
John James (1961 Brownlow)
Brian Gleeson (1957 Brownlow)
John Devine
Danny Frawley
Mick McGuane
Drew Petrie

On lists now:

Crouch brothers
Daniel Rioli
Jacob Hopper
Dan Butler
Tom Williamson

Parades best include Jock McHale, Phonse Kyne, Peter Bedford, Sergio Silvagni, Alan La Fontaine, Bob Rush, Owen Abraham, Peter McKenna and Paddy Guinane. More recently players such as Trent Cotchin, Brad Boyd, Caracalla, Molloy, Hartford, Caven and Ben. Johnson.

Parades best include Jock McHale, Phonse Kyne, Peter Bedford, Sergio Silvagni, Alan La Fontaine, Bob Rush, Owen Abraham, Peter McKenna and Paddy Guinane. More recently players such as Trent Cotchin, Brad Boyd, Caracalla, Molloy, Hartford, Caven and Ben. Johnson.
Impressive

Massive school Parade with almost 2000 kids a year.

My nephew went there and told me in yr7 there was something like 15 year yr7 class groups

Impressive

Massive school Parade with almost 2000 kids a year.

My nephew went there and told me in yr7 there was something like 15 year yr7 class groups

Getting even bigger with a second campus in Preston now. As we said though, it is losing its footy aura which is sad.

I was looking at Herald Sun Shields since it started in 1977.

Assumption leads titles with 11 from St Pats 8 and Parade 6.

What is interesting is that the 3 schools had periods of dominance with Assumption leading in 80s, Parade dominant in the 90s and St Patrick's the leading school from 2010.

I understand Assumption has more of an academic focus now and its team is no longer a football powerhouse

Is Parade similar?

Interesting how they are all catholic schools. When did Assumption go co-ed? That could have been its downfall. An ‘academic’ focus? Must be starting from a very low base from what I hear.

St Bernard’s Essendon and De La Salle also strong footballing schools. I’m sure any paradian could attest to that!

Kyle Langford is from Viewbank I think, definitrly went to primary school in Viewbank but he went to Ivanhoe Gramma after.

Pre sure Hurley and Stanton are Viewbank College alumni, not sure if they went to the primary tho, might have just gone to Banyule Primary
Hurls did go to Viewbank College but he didn’t go to Banyule Primary. He went to St. John’s Primary. Stanton did go to Viewbank College too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I grew up in the Great Southern of W.A., and went to Primary School at Kendenup with Aaron Sandilands.
My brother was good mates with him, he came to our place for birthday parties n stuff, had a huge head (literally), but grew into it :tearsofjoy:

In 1989 I was sent up to Perth to attend Scotch College, and was in the same year as James Clement & Mark Gale.
I was in the same boarding house as Drew Banfield, who was 2 years older, and an absolute champ of a bloke. He was very modest & looked after us younger blokes. He had a brother 2 years older than him who was a beast.

As a year 8 I was terrorised by Ashley McIntosh throughout their last week at school as Year 12's, he's got a few of my top pockets in his collection :grimacing:

We had regular visits from another ex-student, Luc Longley, (not AFL i know, but geez, first Aussie to win a NBA title, and he won 3 in a row!)

I moved to Bunbury in 1991, and went to the Bunbury Cathedral Grammar School with Jaxon Crabb, who only managed 15 games for West Coast & 4 for Port Adelaide, but dominated in the WAFL, winning the Sandover in 2005. Another really down to earth, good bloke :thumbsupemoji:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back