Which AFL team is the most hated by us the fans??

Which AFL team is the most hated by us the fans??

• Total voters

SuperSteele22

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was talking to a Essendon supporter mate the other day who was annoyed at how much of a ‘likeable team’ he finds us these days considering how much he’s supposed to despise our club

Apr 25, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
stirling senators
:eek:
I was in the stands when it happened, someone read it off their phone that Gaff had broken Brayshaw's jaw, news started spreading and people were laughing and cheering. Have also attended derbies where Fremantle players have come off injured, with Eagles fans jeering and laughing at the player (has happened multiple times).

You won't be noticing the terrible behaviour towards opposition supporters before and after because you won't have been the target, so that's an easy explanation.

In terms of the treatment towards umpires, I find it hard to believe you have never witnessed this unless you wear ear plugs and don't look away from the field. It probably happens in General Admission more than members seating, but I have been seated in the members area multiple times, and witnessed this behaviour every single time.

My point is that this behaviour happens in literally every crowd at any major sporting event in the world. When you gather this many people, there are bound to be *******s galore.

Thats a good story.n reality though almost all the Eagles crowd are Eagles members.The Eagles in waiting wait list is about ten years long so I dont see Fans behaving anti socially and riskng getting turfed out at Eagles games.If anything its a very controlled crowd with many a member saying pull your head in or ease up to other members if they get a bit over enthusiastic.Has happened to me once or twice.-just a bit of Eagles reality for you to ponder.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Carlton because it comes with being a Collingwood supporter
Essendon because of their unethical behaviour
And bulldogs because they have a high amount of flogs in the team

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I personally used to dislike GWS and Sydney the most.

Have no issues with Collingwood. Essendon used to be my 2nd team but now I despise them for obvious reasons.

Also find it difficult to like anything about North.

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Are Essendon considered relevant though? Even Carlton have won more finals in the last decade. The only thing of note Essendon have done in the last 15 years is get caught treating their players like guinea pigs. I wouldn't accuse Essendon of being anywhere near successful in the last decade.
Id take our last 2 decades over yours any day, even with our supplement saga

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
:eek:

Thats a good story.n reality though almost all the Eagles crowd are Eagles members.The Eagles in waiting wait list is about ten years long so I dont see Fans behaving anti socially and riskng getting turfed out at Eagles games.If anything its a very controlled crowd with many a member saying pull your head in or ease up to other members if they get a bit over enthusiastic.Has happened to me once or twice.-just a bit of Eagles reality for you to ponder.
I'm mostly talking about experiences in the General Admission section, where non-members sit (and easily more than half are Eagles fans). This is where the worst behaviour is. I used to be an Eagles member myself (attended with my dad as a kid) and I still saw a lot of poor behaviour in the crowd, but it is definitely far worse in general admission where there's really nothing to lose other than getting kicked out of the game.

I am not arguing that Eagles fans are ferals (unlike what some of the other posters are laughably trying to argue about Dogs fans) just that in big crowds, you are going to find poor behaviour. It's a bit like how at environment rallies, some people will litter. You are guaranteed to have poor behaviour when there is tens of thousands of people. When you sit in GA, you are surrounded by hundreds within earshot, so it takes just 1 out of 200 to be an idiot for one of these experiences to occur

This is the key for much of the "hatred" towards other clubs, particularly in melbourne. Supporter of club x hates club y because everyone else does or their parents did/do. Some of it is childish.
Historic, not childish.

John Wren's illegal pokies were the source of the traditional Collingwood hatred in the VFL (and his connection tot he 4-peat which cast doubts on the fairness of the zoning at the time).

A homeless Essendon, based temporarily in East Melbourne, tried to take over Hotham which is the source of the original North-Essendon hatred.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
There is a comparison, and in that comparison West Coast fans turned out to be better.
Funny I find it all a bit boring this year, at least with Richmond winning or had Collingwood won this year you would have our clubs in built, although not necessarily deserved, arrogance to deal with, thats what makes footy fun Imo.
Again though there is a big difference in the level of abuse we Tigers went through in comparison to the Eagles and we made sure we paid that back in spades, thats how it was when the old big 4 used to win everything, constant banter and rivalry with your mates, all in fun of course, we don't need the dh's who like to get violent about it.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Who would this even be about? I could see argument for guys like Stringer but we kicked him out

Hunter & Macrae are up there with some of the biggest campaigners. Not a big fan of McLean either, drops his head in EVERY contest. And I know he is widely loved but something about Picken annoys me. Yes Stringer is probably the biggest flog of them all

Hunter & Macrae are up there with some of the biggest campaigners. Not a big fan of McLean either, drops his head in EVERY contest. And I know he is widely loved but something about Picken annoys me. Yes Stringer is probably the biggest flog of them all

You are the first person other than jilted lover silent alarm to paint macrae in that light.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Premiership windows are a myth.
Why do you think this is so, after all its just a term to define a period where your club is at a stage most likely to win a flag, there are always teams that get lucky and win a flag out of cycle but most follow the format of building to a point where they are likely to be in the running for a period of time, you dont always win but you will be thereabouts...the Premiership window.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Why do you think this is so, after all its just a term to define a period where your club is at a stage most likely to win a flag, there are always teams that get lucky and win a flag out of cycle but most follow the format of building to a point where they are likely to be in the running for a period of time, you dont always win but you will be thereabouts...the Premiership window.

They exist in a certain sense but their proponents ignore the reality other teams aren't standing still.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
  • Macrae is probably the quietest player we have on our list, are you sure you're thinking of Macrae?
  • McLean dropped the ducking thing from his game over a year ago, so I'm guessing that's a reputational thing.
  • I also don't see how you got that impression from Hunter, but opinions are subjective so can't really argue I guess.
  • Picken is rough as guts on field and adds real grunt to the side. A bit like Ziebell, I can see why he'd be unliked by opposition fans but loved by his own team. I would say he's not dirty though.
Not really sure how we have a high amount of flogs on the team based on that, but to each their own

Apr 25, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
stirling senators
I'm mostly talking about experiences in the General Admission section, where non-members sit (and easily more than half are Eagles fans). This is where the worst behaviour is. I used to be an Eagles member myself (attended with my dad as a kid) and I still saw a lot of poor behaviour in the crowd, but it is definitely far worse in general admission where there's really nothing to lose other than getting kicked out of the game.

I am not arguing that Eagles fans are ferals (unlike what some of the other posters are laughably trying to argue about Dogs fans) just that in big crowds, you are going to find poor behaviour. It's a bit like how at environment rallies, some people will litter. You are guaranteed to have poor behaviour when there is tens of thousands of people. When you sit in GA, you are surrounded by hundreds within earshot, so it takes just 1 out of 200 to be an idiot for one of these experiences to occur

Lel do think you will get over it !
Anyway Ive explained myself once and moved on

Hallstrom

Senior List
Jul 10, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Id take our last 2 decades over yours any day, even with our supplement saga
How convenient of you to extend the time period to include your last premiership but not ours. If we are talking the last 2 decades I'd rather take Norths than either of ours. Haha.

This is the key for much of the "hatred" towards other clubs, particularly in melbourne. Supporter of club x hates club y because everyone else does or their parents did/do. Some of it is childish.
This is not some pathetic, petty, childish hatred, this is about history and the survival of the North Melbourne Football Club.

Essendon played a part in stopping North Melbourne's inclusion to the VFL in 1896 (Collingwood and Carlton (how these morons had any influence is beyond me, they were a joke in 1896/7/8/9) also played a part), almost caused our extinction in 1922 (admittedly they can't take all the blame, we should take a small portion ourselves) and demanded extra restrictions (mainly to our recruitment zones) when we were admitted to the VFL in 1925.

These guys are bottom of the barrel scum.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I haven’t hated the Pies for years, only ever hated Didak and Swan. Buckley is just a super likeable dude as is Grundy and Dunn was always one of my favourites.

My dream bottom 4 is geelong/Carlton/Hawthorn, don’t care about the 3rd team.

Bit disappointed and surprised we're only in 3rd place and with just under 10% of the votes. With our recent successes, and the outcry over stupid s**t like free kick Hawthorn, Free Agency Hawthorn, and can't they draft and develop any of their own players Hawthorn, I honestly thought we'd have a much bigger chunk of the hatred vote.

Back