Which are your teams of the decade - 90's vs 00's vs 10's?

(Opinion) Which is the best team from the list?

• 1990 to 1999

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • 2000 to 2009

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • 2010 to 2017

Votes: 15 16.9%

• Total voters

Monkey King

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
You seem to be personally offended by my opinion which I find to be slightly odd. My opinion is only my opinion. I am not saying it is right or wrong, just that it is what I believe.
You named players whose careers spread over 35 years (in which case, omit Matera for Jezza and Bartlett). Matthews was in his 30’s by the time Ablett laced his boots up. Ablett was in his 30’s by the time Carey burst on the scene. That 50 year period from then to now accounts for pretty much every era any BigFooty member would have seen.

Is it really a surprise that the fully completed 35 year period would have more of the best players people have seen than the 15 year incomplete period? You do realise that many players in the 15 year period haven’t even finished playing yet right?

This isn’t a matter of “right” vs “wrong”. Or your right to believe in something. When you break it down, what you’re saying just doesn’t make any sense. I mean how old are you? You probably don’t even have 35 years of existence and yet call that a “short span of time”? What you’re missing is perspective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeds

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
Why? Do you acknowledge that if Lockett started his career in 2007 that right now he probably would not have kicked anywhere near as many goals per game as he did playing in the 80's and 90's?
Why? Playing at docklands rather then the wind swept mud bog of Moorabbin would of helped him kick more goals. Couldnt bear hug him and push him in the back today like you could back then.

Hawkins and kennedy do just fine being one dimensional forwards.

AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Syd FC, Pelicans, Saints
It is interesting. I would back Rance to be able to not only neutralise Carey, but also run off him and I would put Lake on Dunstall and I think he would go quite well as well. Both are attacking defenders, so when they get the ball, they can run off their opponents and turn it into an attacking opportunity.

Ablett is a bit tougher, as I am not sure who would go on him as he is a bit too small for a tall defender. Nick Smith might have to go on him and I don't know how that would work, though Smith, a few years ago, he was second to none when it came to shutting down small or medium forwards. Perhaps someone can think of a better defender though than Smith to go on Ablett, as he would have to be a small to medium defender.
If Smith played on Ablett Fannings record would be broken by half time.

Top Bottom