Which are your teams of the decade - 90's vs 00's vs 10's?

(Opinion) Which is the best team from the list?

• 1990 to 1999

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • 2000 to 2009

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • 2010 to 2017

Votes: 15 16.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jako and SOS would have won more duels than lost against those two as brilliant as they were. FFS, Carey and Ablett could only get a goal between them on SOS in 1995 finals series from memory.

At night in the wet against one of the most dominant sides of all time? Ease up there.

If they broke even on him overall good effort. You added a bit of mayo to make your point in wrong way for players from this era trying to go back and play on those guys.

You're a fairly good judge for these parts, but not without a mayo jar yourself when it comes to this topic.

I saw a 19 year old John Longmire take 9 marks and kick 6.4 on the way to dismantling a 23 year old Silvagni, back in 1990, and Carlton won that match by 5 goals.

Silvagni had his off days just like anyone else.

He wouldn't. Astbury would take Carey. And get dismantled.
Lol, Astbury would get smashed by Carey... but imo he would comfortably handle Rance too... but he was one of the best ever.

Not everyone can play like Peter Caven. ;)

Not everyone can play like Peter Caven. ;)

AAARRGGHH!

1.4 and a couple of OOF's. Duck was a major culprit in that cup not being sewn up at half time.

A month earlier Duck has 28 disposals, 9 marks and kicks 5.3 on him. :rolleyes:

That's footy.

At night in the wet against one of the most dominant sides of all time? Ease up there.
Ease up indeed. That was my whole point. Making out like Carey won ever deal needing easing up to reality because if anything Jako and SOS probably won more than they lost on the great key forward. It was most of the others he dominated nearly every time. These guys were all amazing key position players. We were blessed to see them against each other.

AAARRGGHH!

1.4 and a couple of OOF's. Duck was a major culprit in that cup not being sewn up at half time.

A month earlier Duck has 28 disposals, 9 marks and kicks 5.3 on him. :rolleyes:

That's footy.

I thought it was ex-Roo Stevens that played on Carey in 98 grand final. Could be wrong but vaguely remember thinking that.

Carey also did not put on defensive pressure. I looked at his most sucessful year in terms of goals (1996) and there were 2 separate three-week stints where he laid no tackles at all, not one, so basically as soon as Rance got the ball he could do whatever he felt like as Carey would not have stopped him.

Poor understanding of 90’s footy. You should grab a few dozen Carey games and actually watch them.

So Rance easily beats Carey when Rance isn't even Richmond's #1 defender for the oppositions best key forward? and then Lake smashes one of the best and most productive 2-way running powerhouse forwards in Dunstall, an if that's not enough Nick Smith accounts for the most talented, freakiest player ever in Ablett Snr?

Wow

When North played the Cats in the 90's we put a 100 kg fullback who could bench 150 kg on Ablett. Put Nick Smith on Ablett and Fred Fannings 18 goal game goes bye bye.

When North played the Cats in the 90's we put a 100 kg fullback who could bench 150 kg on Ablett. Put Nick Smith on Ablett and Fred Fannings 18 goal game goes bye bye.

By half time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah. Ablett was a very strong lad. The idea that you would stick a player on him who’d give away 15kg’s, just because he was 185cm, is kinda weird when you consider he also had the ability to spring higher off a few steps than most tall KPD’s could reach to spoil. Ablett would have a field day with this match up.

Didn't see Carey as much as north fans but
Suggesting he wasn't defensive is fanciful. Defensive isn't all about tackles

Apparently it is for arm chair experts who rely on looking up stats to form an opinion.
It was amusing to read that opinion offered for those of us that seen Carey actually play live.

I thought it was ex-Roo Stevens that played on Carey in 98 grand final. Could be wrong but vaguely remember thinking that.

Had a 15 minute look at last quarter of 98 grand final. I saw Stevens out mark Carey 12 minutes into last quarter and run off rebounding but that probably stuck in my memory but I think it was Caven normally contesting with him.

Team of the Decade 2010 to 2017 (not done yet but fun to think about)
FB: Corey Enright; Brian Lake; Nick Smith
HB: Luke Hodge; Alex Rance; Shaun Burgoyne
C: Scott Pendlebury; Sam Mitchell; Joel Selwood
HF: Cyril Rioli; Lance Franklin; Steve Johnson
FF: Jack Riewoldt; Josh J. Kennedy; Eddie Betts
FOLL: Todd Goldstein; Gary Ablett Jnr; Patrick Dangerfield
INT: Nate Fyfe; Josh P. Kennedy; Dustin Martin; Heath Shaw
Coach: Alastair Clarkson
J.Roughead >> J.Reiwoldt

There seems to be this view that all the old forwards would take 20 marks and kick 16 goals on current defenders.
These arent scrubs, even the guns of old had average and beaten days but it seems we forget or choose to ignore this 20 years on.
FWIW I think the 90s team but it wouldn't be an embarrassment for any of these sides.

This thread could go on forever. Regardless of tweaking the fringes, the 90’s team would be so far ahead it’s not funny. Sure, it’s a different game these days, but that decade was when all the greatest played.

All those greats played In the 80s too even Carey had a couple of years

Port were minor premiers for at least 3 if not 4 years of the 2000’s and although we only won the 1 premiership we were one of the best teams for the decade
Players like treadrea, Wanganeen, Lade, James, Wakelin, Pickett, both Burgoynes and Cornes could all be in that team without any argument

I had Roughy in my 'best of the rest' along with Pavlich who are not only top line but Versatile as well

Should be on the bench instead of a mug rukman
Should be in the team instead of Jack.

Back