Which are your teams of the decade - 90's vs 00's vs 10's?

(Opinion) Which is the best team from the list?

• 1990 to 1999

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • 2000 to 2009

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • 2010 to 2017

Votes: 15 16.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Just did this decade:

B: Dustin Fletcher, Matthew Scarlett, Tom Lonergan
HB: Corey Enright, Harry Taylor, David Wojcinski
C: Jimmy Bartel, Andrew Mackie, Joel Selwood
HF: Steve Johnson, Tom Hawkins, Patrick Dangerfield
F: Paul Chapman, Nick Riewoldt, Aaron Sandilands
Foll: Brad Ottens, Cameron Ling, Joel Corey,
I/C: James Kelly, Dane Swan, Mitch Duncan, Gary Ablett

Where the * is Josh Hunt FFS?

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
From a St.kilda point of view;

Robert Harvey over Paul Kelly.

Riewoldt over Tredrea, Richo & Pavlich. Not sure how Brown isn’t in there over those 3 too.

from just a football fan pov...this.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I completely forgot about this thread.

Looking at the poll though I think there is an argument for nostalgia and how it affects people's perceptions. Either AFL players are getting worse, or people look back and their perceptions and memories become more and more rose coloured with the 2000's period not as rose coloured as the 90's, but only because the 2000's was more recent.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
This bloke thinks Carey, Lockett and Ablett snr were overrated

I acknowledge they were amazing players, but I think if you put them in a modern 2019 context, put them in their prime in AFL in 2019 they would be AA players but they would not be "wow these are the greatest players of all time" sort of thing. All three of them would kick a lot fewer goals in 2019 than they did in the 1990's.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I acknowledge they were amazing players, but I think if you put them in a modern 2019 context, put them in their prime in AFL in 2019 they would be AA players but they would not be "wow these are the greatest players of all time" sort of thing. All three of them would kick a lot fewer goals in 2019 than they did in the 1990's.

That's a stupid argument

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Why? Do you acknowledge that if Lockett started his career in 2007 that right now he probably would not have kicked anywhere near as many goals per game as he did playing in the 80's and 90's?

It's a stupid ******* question. Lockett played in his era and he finished the greatest goal kicker of all time. How the * do I know what he would do now?

Does that mean you think the AFL team of the century should always be updated with 22 current players because they are scientifically better athletes now?

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It's a stupid ******* question. Lockett played in his era and he finished the greatest goal kicker of all time. How the **** do I know what he would do now?

Does that mean you think the AFL team of the century should always be updated with 22 current players because they are scientifically better athletes now?

I think placing a player in a modern context is important, especially if we are comparing them to modern players and saying things like "player X is better or worse than Lockett".

My general thought process behind all these sort of discussions is "how would that player go in 2019"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think placing a player in a modern context is important, especially if we are comparing them to modern players and saying things like "player X is better or worse than Lockett".

My general thought process behind all these sort of discussions is "how would that player go in 2019"

So Ron Barassi should be removed from the Team of the century because a bloke from the 50s would look stupid in modern footy?
It's so dumb.

You've literally admitted to not seeing * all 90s footy but then called a bunch of champions overrated from that era.

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

That's not what you posted and you know it. Just admit it was a stupid post and move on

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

Do you forget what you post? That's not what you stated at all, you're just blatantly making stuff up now because you know you posted something really dumb.

Here let me remind you:

The teams in the late 80's early 90's did not pay as much attention to their 18 to 22 players like they do now. They put all their focus on their top 10 players so while the top 10 players of any team 30 years ago would have been quality in terms of pure skill, the bottom players in the best 22 would be a lot better now than they used to be, by a huge margin as well.

Also I am somewhat suspicious of all the supposedly "best of all time" players that played in that era. There is no way there can be that many amazing players in that short span of time. I think quite a few players in the Carey, Ablett, Dunstall, Lockett, Silvangi, Williams, Matthews and Materia were not as good players as a lot of people like to remember them as.

What a complete load of tripe

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Do you forget what you post? That's not what you stated at all, you're just blatantly making stuff up now because you know you posted something really dumb.

Here let me remind you:

What a complete load of tripe

Oddly enough I did forget what I posted over a year ago. Also there is nothing wrong with what I posted above, even if I don't remember writing it.

You seem to be personally offended by my opinion which I find to be slightly odd. My opinion is only my opinion. I am not saying it is right or wrong, just that it is what I believe.

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Oddly enough I did forget what I posted over a year ago. Also there is nothing wrong with what I posted above, even if I don't remember writing it.

You seem to be personally offended by my opinion which I find to be slightly odd. My opinion is only my opinion. I am not saying it is right or wrong, just that it is what I believe.

Offended by you What a laugh, you're BF's comic relief, your posts are mostly harmless and pathetic

/shrug

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

You made an effort. That should be acknowladged.

But Tony modra says hi. Mcleod won two norm smiths in a row, in the 90s. No way could he not be picked in the 90s.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
Looking at the poll though I think there is an argument for nostalgia and how it affects people's perceptions. Either AFL players are getting worse, or people look back and their perceptions and memories become more and more rose coloured with the 2000's period not as rose coloured as the 90's, but only because the 2000's was more recent.

Out of my “best seen” starting midfield, one would be from the 80’s (Diesel at Sydney), one from the 2000’s (Judd at WCE) and GAJ, who’s still getting around today. First chosen forwards though are all from the 80’s and 90’s - Lockett, Ablett and Carey. Even at the time it was acknowledged as a golden era for forwards.

It’s not rose coloured glasses per se; it’s just having a larger body of work to draw from.

Back