All Australian
Feb 14, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club,Chicago Bulls
Hey all,

After all this COVID mess is cleaned up my wife and I are very much considering moving our family from Melbourne to Brisbane for a fresh start and to get a bit of that famous Queensland sunshine.

To that end I am particularly interested in whether there is a specific area of Brisbane that could be considered a Lions stronghold, are the suburbs located around The Gabba a winner or am I dreaming and that no such place exists?

Any help from locals would be much appreciated.

Cheers legends and Go Lions!!!

Hi Lion for Life , glad you have seen the light/sunshine.

I live in an apartment at Fairfield which is only about 2km from the Gabba as the crow flies, fantastic that I can walk to the Gabba for games and there are numerous restaurants and good quality pubs around the area if dining out is your thing. The "official" Lions pub is the Pineapple which is a couple of hundred meters from the Gabba. If you like bike riding/walking/jogging there are plenty of nice areas for this considering we are so close to the CBD. Also I'm a 5 minute walk from where the Lions do a lot of training ie. Yeronga although that will all change in the next 18 months when our training, administration and AFLW home is relocated to Springfield.

I'm assuming as you say "moving our family" you have school aged children, there are some great quality schools in the area, my sons family moved into the Brisbane State High School catchment area while all 3 kids were still in primary school specifically for the school, The primary school they all went to and the youngest is still at turned out to be an upgrade on the outer Brisbane school the older 2 attended which was a fantastic bonus.

As far as the players are concerned apparently a fair few of them live in the Bulimba/Morningside area which is around 5km from the Gabba and you see players and Chris Fagan out and about quite regularly in that area (my brother lives at Bulimba and he sees them around the place). Bulimba is a more up market area of Brisbane and hence more expensive for real estate though.

Hey all,

After all this COVID mess is cleaned up my wife and I are very much considering moving our family from Melbourne to Brisbane for a fresh start and to get a bit of that famous Queensland sunshine.

To that end I am particularly interested in whether there is a specific area of Brisbane that could be considered a Lions stronghold, are the suburbs located around The Gabba a winner or am I dreaming and that no such place exists?

Any help from locals would be much appreciated.

Cheers legends and Go Lions!!!
Are planning on renting or buying?

Being a one club city, I imagine Brisbane is very different to Melbourne, where clubs have strong ties to their suburb or area. Up here Lions fans live everywhere and don’t have strong ties to one particular area.

As Jason mp mentioned, a few players live around Bulimba. Others live around Coorparoo and Camp Hill.

Most people up here either live close’ish to their work, or in a suburb they can afford or that meets their lifestyle or family requirements.

There’s a bit of a north side, south side thing up here, where some people believe one side of the city offers more than the other.

Just try and do some research on where your work options might be, and what suburbs you can afford.

Like most cities, the closer you are to the cbd, the more expensive rent and property are.

Hi Lion for Life , glad you have seen the light/sunshine.

I live in an apartment at Fairfield which is only about 2km from the Gabba as the crow flies, fantastic that I can walk to the Gabba for games and there are numerous restaurants and good quality pubs around the area if dining out is your thing. The "official" Lions pub is the Pineapple which is a couple of hundred meters from the Gabba. If you like bike riding/walking/jogging there are plenty of nice areas for this considering we are so close to the CBD. Also I'm a 5 minute walk from where the Lions do a lot of training ie. Yeronga although that will all change in the next 18 months when our training, administration and AFLW home is relocated to Springfield.

I'm assuming as you say "moving our family" you have school aged children, there are some great quality schools in the area, my sons family moved into the Brisbane State High School catchment area while all 3 kids were still in primary school specifically for the school, The primary school they all went to and the youngest is still at turned out to be an upgrade on the outer Brisbane school the older 2 attended which was a fantastic bonus.

As far as the players are concerned apparently a fair few of them live in the Bulimba/Morningside area which is around 5km from the Gabba and you see players and Chris Fagan out and about quite regularly in that area (my brother lives at Bulimba and he sees them around the place). Bulimba is a more up market area of Brisbane and hence more expensive for real estate though.

Thanks mate, that’s very helpful and definitely something to consider as we have been checking out housing around that south eastern area, and yes, schooling is one of our top priorities with a 6 month old in the house right now so we’re aiming to set up our future lives for that.

Unfortunately there’s not much we can do right now though going through the pandemic but hopefully one day we’ll get to the other side and this could become a reality.

Thanks mate, that’s very helpful and definitely something to consider as we have been checking out housing around that south eastern area, and yes, schooling is one of our top priorities with a 6 month old in the house right now so we’re aiming to set up our future lives for that.

Unfortunately there’s not much we can do right now though going through the pandemic but hopefully one day we’ll get to the other side and this could become a reality.

Hi LfL,

I left Victoria in the early 1990s and lived in a few different places but have settled in Brisbane. It's a great place to live and I especially think that it's a great place to raise children. Remember that it's subtropical so it is hot from November to April - I don't mind it but some people struggle... it's not as warm as Singapore whether I lived for many years. As Jason said, it's worth keeping an eye on the school catchment areas when choosing where to live. One of the secrets to Brisbane is that there are quite a number of excellent schools such as State High, Kenmore, Kelvin Grove and Indooroopilly (not a complete list). I also suggest being relatively close to a train station as new cross river rail will go straight to the Gabba when finished and the train station is right next to our new Springfield precinct where our ALFW (and likely VFL team?).

I also suggest being relatively close to a train station as new cross river rail will go straight to the Gabba when finished and the train station is right next to our new Springfield precinct where our ALFW (and likely VFL team?).
On this subject, if you're looking for a direct train to the Gabba, at this stage they look like they'll be on the Beenleigh and Caboolture lines. If you want a short commute time and decent schools, the stretches from about Park Road to Yeronga and Albion to Eagle Junction are both pretty good areas. The quality of schools along train lines drops off a bit after that.

Of course, the further out you go, the cheaper houses are. Springfield would be affordable and close to the new training facility, but it takes an hour to get to the Gabba.

Nowhere has been ruled out for us so far but some areas that have stood out are Carina Heights/Holland Park and surrounding suburbs or for something completely different the Redland Bay/Victoria Point area which attracts us more for the lifestyle benefits.

What’s everyone’s opinion on these two areas? Obviously the inner south east will offer more in services and that close proximity to the Gabba but does Redland Bay/Victoria Point offer more of that laidback beach type lifestyle? is it a nice area? And is it only an hour or so from the city or more?

Thanks for the feedback so far guys

Nowhere has been ruled out for us so far but some areas that have stood out are Carina Heights/Holland Park and surrounding suburbs or for something completely different the Redland Bay/Victoria Point area which attracts us more for the lifestyle benefits.

What’s everyone’s opinion on these two areas? Obviously the inner south east will offer more in services and that close proximity to the Gabba but does Redland Bay/Victoria Point offer more of that laidback beach type lifestyle? is it a nice area? And is it only an hour or so from the city or more?

Wouldn't call the Redlands a beach lifestyle, it's more of a boating and fishing lifestyle. It's pretty much mud flats, mangroves and rocks until you get to the Gold Coast, although North Stradbroke Island has some nice beaches. Lots of old people and miles from the rest of Brisbane, 45 minutes with no traffic and probably 1hr 15m at peak hour. If you enjoy quieter areas, boating and fishing, it's the place for you.

Holland Park and Carina Heights are typical older suburbs. Decently sized backyards and a Cafe here and there.

I live in Carindale, and grew up in Coorparoo, then Mansfield, and Carina/Carina Heights and Holland Park are all very familiar to me.

No trains out this way, it’s all buses. Lots of bus services, so public transport isn’t an issue. Free bus to the Gabba on game day takes 10 minutes.

I haven’t had anything to do with the schools here for 30 years, but we chose Carindale as we have a 2 year old, and there are a few close primary schools with good reputations.

Any of Carindale, Carina, Camphill, Coorparoo, Greenslopes, Holland Park and Holland Park West are nice suburbs. Close to everything on the inner Southside.

The heat is different up here, due to the humidity in summer. Melbourne is a dry heat and the humidity really makes a difference.

The pools at Southbank really are great for families during summer.

If you want the relaxed water option, Manly, Wynnum are very good options. Not much out there besides that though. Even lesser down toward Victoria Point. I’m in the Morningside/Cannon Hill area. Not sure what price worse you are looking at but Carina which is the next suburb over is about to yield a lot of interest IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pushing deeper into the Redlands than Capalaba (where I live) really blows out your commute times if you have to go anywhere other than in the Redlands itself. The Cleveland train line going to Wynnum first before wrapping around the coast to Cleveland makes the train from Cleveland a much longer journey than it's actual physical distance to the city. There's also the problem of areas of the train line only being serviced by a single track. I don't have kids and know nothing about schools out this way besides a couple of private schools that my ex missus used to work at. Of the coastal suburbs on the South side of the Brown Snake the ones that aren't a mixed bag are Manly (Brisbane City Council area), Wellington Point and Ormiston but they are priced accordingly. Most of the others have weird demographic mixes - the Redlands has a severe identity crisis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back