Which club below is most likely to win a Premiership & end it's Premiership drought first?

Which club below is most likely to win a Premiership & end it's Premiership drought first?

• Western Bulldogs - last Premiership in 1954

Votes: 53 45.3%
  • Melbourne - last Premiership in 1964

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • St. Kilda - last Premiership in 1966

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Richmond - last Premiership in 1980

Votes: 49 41.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadGuy

Team Captain
Feb 21, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I was thinking about this last night and thought it could be an interesting poll.. Really there is only four teams in the AFL that haven't won a Premiership since the VFL days, Melbourne (last premiership was 48 years ago), Richmond (there last was 32 years ago), St. Kilda (46 years ago) and Western Bulldogs (58 years ago)..

So who do you think will end their Premiership drought first?

I think right now it would be between St. Kilda and Richmond. Melbourne are struggling to stay afloat and the Bulldogs, well I can't see them ending their drought any time soon.

of those four its richmond by an absolute mile. st kilda are going down, melbourne have hit rock bottom, the dogs are in the right direction but richmond have a core group of players who have played 3 seasons together, recipee for success

I voted for Western Bulldogs, I like the list they are putting together particularly in the midfield. They still need to work out their forward line but I think they are getting there. None of the sides will win a premiership in the next year or two so I'm not too worried about who is the best right now (easily Richmond).

With lists in their current state:

Richmond
Bulldogs
Melbourne
St Kilda

Melbourne actually have a good spine of players, they just need an actual midfield, not fill it with guys they pluck from the VFL.

Voted Dogs, their midfield could be absolutely anything

Stevens, Liberatore, Dahlhaus, Wallis, Smith, Hrovat, Macrae, Stringer and Hunter are all 21 or under

Add in somebody like Aish or Kelly in this years Draft, and then potentially throw Josh Wallis on top for the 2014 draft and the Dogs are going to bat very deep for the next 10+ years.

I'd look at it from a different perspective. If the lists that each respective team currently has doesn't win a flag (which is more likely than not) it will go down to which club is better run and which can put all the tools in place to create another chance. Since the afl was re branded we have played in four grand finals and had some very successful periods without gaining the ultimate prize. I think our history in modern era for creating premiership chances is a bit more solid than the others in the poll. Surely the bounce will go our way next time.

Richmond wont get past 6th.. not this year, not next..

I'd look at it from a different perspective. If the lists that each respective team currently has doesn't win a flag (which is more likely than not) it will go down to which club is better run and which can put all the tools in place to create another chance. Since the afl was re branded we have played in four grand finals and had some very successful periods without gaining the ultimate prize. I think our history in modern era for creating premiership chances is a bit more solid than the others in the poll. Surely the bounce will go our way next time.

It's interesting because when you think about it, St. Kilda have been able to perform in four Grand Finals during the AFL era (1990-current), Melbourne have appeared in one (2000), while Richmond's last was in 1982 and Bulldogs haven't appeared in one since 1961.. I think it kind of shows how a lot of these teams have struggled over the years but with Saints they have shown they can get there, just falling short.

It's interesting because when you think about it, St. Kilda have been able to perform in four Grand Finals during the AFL era (1990-current), Melbourne have appeared in one (2000), while Richmond's last was in 1982 and Bulldogs haven't appeared in one since 1961.. I think it kind of shows how a lot of these teams have struggled over the years but with Saints they have shown they can get there, just falling short.

Yeah. The saints at least have years where they are the best team in the competition, they've just lost on the big stage. Our peak seems to be 3rd best.

its a moot point discussing these few clubs when gold coast will have a midfield of:

Ablett, Swallow, Bennell, Martin, O'Maera

Sure the dogs may have a good midfield in the future but who cares? if one midfield is good (Dogs) and another s**t (Melbourne) but both not good enough to compete with GC for a premiership then they are as useless as each other, why bother splitting hairs?.

its a moot point discussing these few clubs when gold coast will have a midfield of:

Ablett, Swallow, Bennell, Martin, O'Maera

Sure the dogs may have a good midfield in the future but who cares? if one midfield is good (Dogs) and another s**t (Melbourne) but both not good enough to compete with GC for a premiership then they are as useless as each other, why bother splitting hairs?.

Not a moot point. Are you saying none of us will win a flag ever again?

Of course i'm biased but I think the Bulldogs will win one first. I can't see Melbourne being in contention for a while, Saints are going down.

As for Richmond, while i think that their top players are elite and among the best in the comp, I feel their bottom 6 players are where they fall over. These guys will be passengers and unless they fix this problem then I don't see them winning a premiership. The dogs are trying to get a team first mantra across with no passengers and think this will benefit us in finals in the long run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Bulldogs and Saints are just starting a rebuild, neither will rebound any time soon. Melbourne are in the middle of one and even furthur back.

Richmond are likely to play finals over the next 5 years and will probably contend in a couple. No idea if they'll win a flag though. If Richmond fail you can only guess. Any surge up the ladder from the other three clubs will take about 3-4 solid drafts and hence there's no point even trying to work it out.

I don't see Richmond breaking their drought any time soon, but out of the choices you gave us you have to chose Richmond.

Richmond wont get past 6th.. not this year, not next..

Not having a go at your opinion but just curious to get your reasons why you think that? (Coach, lack of depth, culture etc?)

Voted Dogs, their midfield could be absolutely anything

Stevens, Liberatore, Dahlhaus, Wallis, Smith, Hrovat, Macrae, Stringer and Hunter are all 21 or under

Add in somebody like Aish or Kelly in this years Draft, and then potentially throw Josh Wallis on top for the 2014 draft and the Dogs are going to bat very deep for the next 10+ years.

No doubt they could easily have the best midfield of the lot - given they already have a lot of depth in the middle, would they be better off using their early picks on other areas of the team? Not too familiar of their list but have they got quality youngsters down back, in the ruck and up forward?

I think ultimately midfields win flags so building a powerhouse midfield could be the way to go.

No doubt they could easily have the best midfield of the lot - given they already have a lot of depth in the middle, would they be better off using their early picks on other areas of the team? Not too familiar of their list but have they got quality youngsters down back, in the ruck and up forward?

I think ultimately midfields win flags so building a powerhouse midfield could be the way to go.
I'm pretty happy with our young players all over the ground and I think there is enough to work with in every position, I think our biggest need (with young players, we obviously need a key forward but I feel we have enough on the list) is just good skills throughout every position, like HBF, and especially just one more outside mid would be perfect IMO. Then it is just really down to development from there.

If we could score Aish this year he would be the perfect way to top off our midfield. Kelly/Sheed certainly could help too :p

Doggies are 2 years into their rebuild, St. Kilda haven't really started theirs yet. So I vote doggies.

The current Richmond list has potential, but I think they'll be just short of a Premiership. And Melbourne are just shambolic

With lists in their current state:

Richmond
Bulldogs
Melbourne
St Kilda

Melbourne actually have a good spine of players, they just need an actual midfield, not fill it with guys they pluck from the VFL.

Can we have your midfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back