Which club do you hate more? Collingwood or Essendon?

Who do you hate more?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

John Dough

Senior List
Nov 13, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Apoligies if this has been done on your board before, but I couldn't find a thread.

A similar thread on our board has Essendon way out in front as most hated, followed by Sydney.

Collingwood and Essendon are arguably the two biggest rivals of Carlton as well as the most hated.

Which club do you hate more out of the two and why?

Flavour of the month is Essendon but i can't find any redeeming features in the Pies either. Except Heath Scotland, Malthouse, Daisy etc.

This thread has also already been done so in b4 lock.

Thirty years ago it was Collingwood hands down, especially after that dirty bast*** Magro smashed into Jezza at Princes Park. After beating them in a couple of grand finals and with the passage of time the hate has mellowed to dislike.

At the moment, Essendon is clearly well ahead of Collingwood. Hate is probably too strong a word, more like despise and loathe.

Apoligies if this has been done on your board before, but I couldn't find a thread.

A similar thread on our board has Essendon way out in front as most hated, followed by Sydney.

Collingwood and Essendon are arguably the two biggest rivals of Carlton as well as the most hated.

I actually hate Richmond. I don't like Collingwood but certainly do not hate them. There has been too much fun and joy winning premierships in grand finals at their expense to feel any hate for them. If I lived 100 years ago maybe I would have hated them. Seeing video footage of what we did to them in 1970 and then experience the fun and joy of 79 and 81 grand finals against them as a kid just gives me a warm inner glow of confidence to want to meet them in finals again.

I hate Richmond because they got that joy in 1980 instead of us and I feel if we had not had such a horror off season before that season we would have won 4 premierships in a row. Kevin Bartlett was a very very annoying star at time. I could not stand him even though he was good. I was a little kid at time and that hate for them has never stopped.
Their supporters also tend to speak more bullshit than any other so easy to hate. The 1982 grand final was the more intense one for me to watch as a Carlton supporter. I wanted us to fix those bastards up so much and show once and for all in that period which club the stuff on the big day.

Essendon, well I never liked them but actually respected them for having a super side winning 84 and 85 flags when we went backwards for a few years. I've always respected guys like Terry Daniner, Neale Daniher and Tim Watson. Never hated them but loved beating them when we do as they are our biggest rivals in terms of actual premierships and success. Having said that my respect for them has fallen away big time in last 18 months with some key people at their club refusing to accept full responsibility for crap that went on at their club. Hate for them would not be hard to develop.

But no, it is still Richmond I hate. I seriously loved us showing them up for all talk and no action in Elimination Final two years ago.

To only assume all Carlton supporters would say they hate Collingwood or Essendon more is showing some ignorance of the level of true hatred between Carlton and Richmond. You did not even mention Richmond. Ignorance of history. Just seeing video footage of Carlton and Richmond finals in 1972 and 1973 should be enough for any true Carlton supporter to never have sympathy for that club.
If Richmond had been any type of contender for premiership in last decade and us too, you may have seen it come to the surface. Any Carlton supporter that does not hate Richmond is out of touch with the long history of our great club and needs a refresher course..;)

Last edited:
I actually hate Richmond. I don't like Collingwood but certainly do not hate them. There has been too much fun and joy winning premierships in grand finals at their expensive to feel any hate for them. If I lived 100 years ago maybe I would have hated them. Seeing video footage of what we did to them in 1970 and then experience the fun and joy of 79 and 81 grand finals against them as a kid just gives me a warm inner glow of confidence to want to meet them in finals again.

I hate Richmond because they got that joy in 1980 instead of us and I feel if we had not had such a horror off season before that season we would have won 4 premierships in a row. Kevin Bartlett was a very very annoying star at time. I could not stand him even though he was good. I was a little kid at time and that hate for them has never stopped.
Their supporters also tend to speak more bullshit than any other so easy to hate. The 1982 grand final was the more intense one for me to watch as a Carlton supporter. I wanted us to fix those bastards up so much and show once and for all in that period which club the stuff on the big day.

Essendon, well I never liked them but actually respected them for having a super side winning 84 and 85 flags when we went backwards for a few years. I've always respected guys like Terry Daniner, Neale Daniher and Tim Watson. Never hated them but loved beating them when we do as they are our biggest rivals in terms of actual premierships and success. Having said that my respect for them has fallen away big time in last 18 months with some key people at their club refusing to accept full responsibility for crap that went on at their club. Hate for them would not be hard to develop.

But no, it is still Richmond I hate. I seriously loved us showing them up for all talk and no action in Elimination Final two years ago.

To only assume all Carlton supporters would say they hate Collingwood or Essendon more is showing some ignorance of the level of true hatred between Carlton and Richmond. You did not even mention Richmond. Ignorance of history. Just seeing video footage of Carlton and Richmond finals in 1972 and 1973 should be enough for any true Carlton supporter to never have sympathy for that club.
If Richmond had been any type of contender for premiership in last decae and us too, you may have seen it come to the surface. Any Carlton supporter that does not hate Richmond is out of touch with the long history of our great club and needs a refresher course..;)

Yeah Tigers should be an option, too. However, I'm too young to appreciate/ know about the era you're talking about so, when I think of Richmond, I think of pathetic-ness. So I don't hate them quite as much as the other two ;)

Yeah Tigers should be an option, too. However, I'm too young to appreciate/ know about the era you're talking about so, when I think of Richmond, I think of pathetic-ness. So I don't hate them quite as much as the other two ;)

Yeah, I can understand that. Although I was too young to see the 1972 and 73 seasons but still seen black and white footage to make my blood boil. But growing up in school with lots of Carlton and Richmond supporters those 1980 to 82 seasons imprinted and enhanced a life time hatred for that club. Funny enough I remember a mate of mine who is Richmond fan said in 1985 that he reckon Tigers won't be in finals for 10 years. He was pretty spot on. They been of very little relevance in terms of contention for premierships or big finals in 3 decades. Although it seemed like the year Ben Cousins was making their debut for them, their delusions of thinking they were a threat was sickening. Fixing them up round 1 then was very sweet indeed. They do get ahead of themselves as supporters like no other. They also go deep into woodwork and hard to find when they are s**t. But when they start winning again it is amazing how many of them say they stuck through thick and then. That type of dishonesty will never have mellow my hatred for them. May we meet them in finals this next season

Would be great, wouldn't it? Beat them (again) by 10 goals in an elimination final. They'd have Hardwick's head on a chopping block :D :D :D

True. The thought of Caroline Wilson (Tiger fan) watching it and then reporting on the chopping almost brings a sentimental tear to my eye. Hopefully, it is a preliminary final.

It would have to be Hawthorn...:)

Any hatred / rivalry that draws the crowds is a beautiful thing.

I hadn't been to any Coll v Carl games for several years but went to both in 2012.
The joy on Carlton supporters faces after a few years of one way traffic, while annoying for me, gave me heart that the rivalry was still strong within the fans themselves, and not just a media beat up.
It meant something to them, not only to win a game, but to beat 'those bastards'.
The joy wasn't a 'pleasant smile', it was aggressive. It bought tears to their eyes. It made them want to fight, but as always they kept control.
It therefore gave meaning to our next two years of wins, and likewise your wins against us in the future.

Keep the hate strong. The hate gives it meaning. But thankfully it isn't a Glasgow hate.

And who is this essendon you speak of ?

In order of abhorrence, are 'the drug cheats', 'Rich-ninth' and then 'the filth'. The 'Wee and Poo' are starting to make their way to the top too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has to be Essendon*, even before they resorted to doping. They've always just p!ssed me off.

I've had more good mates who are Collingwood fans which has mellowed me towards them. I cherish our rivalry with Collingwood as being the greatest and longest running rivalry in footy and enjoy the banter that goes with it.

Hatred is the only word strong enough for efc*
Truely hope the current saga is bad enough to have them removed from the competition permanently .

Enjoy the traditional rivalry with Collingwood and love the annual build up to the inevitable pantsing of the tigers in round 1 .

Essendon for me, there supporters are the worst.
If someone doesn't follow football they usually identify themselves as an Essendon supporters and that really bugs me. They are massive bandwagon supporters. They are also so smug.

Collingwood supports I respect, rain hail or shine Collingwood is the best in there eyes, there supporter base is definitely the reason why they are a financial power house.
I also love watching the brownlow betting seeing Collingwood players at shorter odds because there supporter base just floods the market with money.

So Essendon for me.

Collingwood are loveable in their own toothless way, we love to hate them and after all these years our two fanbases realise how lucky we are to enjoy such a fun rivalry. Essendon, on the other hand... wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

Essendon but only just - When they have a player go down with a knee or serious injury - I feel nil empathy where I do with players from other clubs.

On Anzac day - I just hope for a draw and multiple injuries - An ACL or a hamstring torn from the bone is a bonus

My worst ever day in football was the 1990 GF - Lets hope they never play off again.

I used to respect the Bombers, grew up watching great players like Vander Haar, Tim Watson, Simon Madden, Daniher etc, but 25 years of cheating and diving has flushed that all away. They are one disgusting club.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

esscheats3.jpg esscheats5.png esscheats6.jpg esscheats6.png esscheats4.png esscheats7.jpg

Attachments

• esscheats1.png
    esscheats1.png
    6 KB · Views: 91
  • esscheats2.png
    esscheats2.png
    5 KB · Views: 93
I had a lot of respect for the Pies of late. They seem to run everything well and have a strong membership base. Granted things arent ideal for them now they are still a behemoth of a club.

I have always had a lot of distaste for Essendon. They piss me off big time.

The Carringbush :D

That is all!

show_image.php

Back