Which club do you hate more? Collingwood or Essendon?

Who do you hate more?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Love them both. The second and third greatest teams of all time. The best rivalries, the biggest and loudest crowds in the league when they go to battle against us.

I love sticking the boots into them after a win, hating them after a loss and taking the piss out of them when they blow their salary cap and have to trade their best players or get busted for drug cheating and get suspended for a year.

I’m a footy fan, I love seeing great football players and games. Loved Michael Long, thought McGuane’s goal was amazing. Hird was overrated, Lloyd was an out and out superstar. Buckley was one of the best mids I’ve seen, carried an absolute s**t truck to a grand final. Hope we continue to have epic battles against them for many more years.

Similar thread on the Collingwood board shows they hate Carlton far more than anyone else including Essendon.

Interesting to see Collingwood hate Carlton more than Carlton hate Collingwood, especially when Collingwood are generally accepted as being the most hated club in the league.

You mean the similar thread you started on the Collingwood Board and several other Team Boards!

Are you B. O. R. E. D!

Went to a Blues win over the Suns at Metricon in 2018. There's a reason that one of the cheersquad's chants after the game was "We hate Essendon."

I lived with a big Pies ITK after my mother died. First name basis with everyone. Attended quite a few of their post game functions with him after our matches and was always treated exceptionally well.

Played junior footy for a club wearing the Richmond jumper. Tore my mother up a bit seeing me in it every weekend. Was raised to hate actual Richmond with tales of how grubby and filthy their players were.

Modern times there is probably no team aside from Essendon that I hate more than West Coast. From the screw job of a final - the closest we got to a grand final in modern times - to just outright mauling by their home cooking my distaste for them is almost irrational.

Beating Hawthorn is always sweet the couple of times we've done it.

Love them both. The second and third greatest teams of all time. The best rivalries, the biggest and loudest crowds in the league when they go to battle against us.

I love sticking the boots into them after a win, hating them after a loss and taking the piss out of them when they blow their salary cap and have to trade their best players or get busted for drug cheating and get suspended for a year.

I’m a footy fan, I love seeing great football players and games. Loved Michael Long, thought McGuane’s goal was amazing. Hird was overrated, Lloyd was an out and out superstar. Buckley was one of the best mids I’ve seen, carried an absolute sh*t truck to a grand final. Hope we continue to have epic battles against them for many more years.
I feel this way about Collingwood. I have nothing but contempt for Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind both of these teams copping a good thumping on any given day...
But the drug cheating tipped me towards those.

It was Ron Evans and his Cabal on the AFL commission that very nearly killed off the club in 2002 that swayed me from being a life long hater or Essendon, growing up in North Ringwood and going to high school with girls who swooned over Gavin Wanganeen and later James Hird) and wouldn't give me the time of the day for a date didn't help either (admittedly being bit of an introvert who spent a lot of time during recess at the library didn't help my street cred either)

I still get inexplicably angry any time someone mentions the names or I see highlights of Sean Denham or Darren Bewick ..
When Vossy's Lions flogged them in the 01 Grand Final, I celebrated like it was (preliminary final) 99.

5552811_keep_calm_and_hate_essendon.png

Had no real dislike of either until the supplements saga.

But the audacity in the first instance, to cheat, pull off a cover up worse than Kennedy assassination, play the victim for 4 years and still maintain innocence was something that had to be seen. The club and supporters really drank the Kool Aid.

Still cannot believe they brought Hird back as head coach after he lied to the club and generally threw the squad under the bus through that period.

I have a weird soft spot for Collingwood and have never had issues with the club or their supporters.

Last edited:
West Coast Eagle by far, need to live in Perth to appreciate how they dominate the news, advertising and just shite supporters everywhere.

Go to Carlton vs Dockers game no problem, respect form both supporting base. Carlton vs Eagle almost alway problem, I don’t take my younger son to Eagle games anymore.

I love and hate both Essendon and Collingwood. You can't have a great hero without a great villain. The league and our club would be lessened without them, so they are required. So I wish them all the misfortune, scandal and poor performance in the world... whilst remaining viable rivals forever more. :)

I know more Essendon supporters (funny, seems I don't move in the same social circles as Collingwood fans... possibly due to having a job and house and just one baby mama), so I take great joy in hating on Essendon more. But I don't want that in any way to dimish the revulsion I feel for Collingwood.

Far far worse than "hated" is ambivalent or irrelevant.

(All in good fun).

Collingwood will always be enemy #1, but getting beaten by St Kilda always leaves me with the worst feeling; a shining example of aspiring to be mediocre.

Easy. Essendon by a mile. Hated them since Sheedy went there. Thugs, stagers, media darlings, drug cheats. What's not to hate?

But of course their greatest crime was they always seemed to find a way to beat us, when we could beat almost anyone else.

Last edited:
Back