Which club do you hate the most?

Which club do you hate the most?

• Total voters

uranium_death

All Australian
May 3, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
Uh huh. Being reminded that there are still social issues is a real bummer when you've managed to avoid them in the other areas of your life. It's really tough getting the very occasional reminder from the AFL that life isn't always good for people who aren't cis, straight, white, middle/high income men. :p

The AFL is there to protect everybody's rights regarding religion, sexuality, gender etc. but there's a difference between protection, and outright activism. The AFL has taken an activist approach. If I wanted activism, I'd join a political party - and right now I reckon we have the lowest level of trust in politics and politicians ever seen.

The AFL is there to present the best competition of Australian Rules in the world in its best format, and at this point there are many people who don't think the game is at its best.
That's my opinion, and my opinion isn't worth s**t (clearly!)

For the record, I could also consider myself part of the LGBT+ community, but I don't because I can't stand the politics that goes with social movements - and the consequent "Us vs Them" mentality that I have seen develop as a result. I am happy to keep private life free from sport

My thinking may be antiquated, but that's me ;)

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
West Corp
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Keep going
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Almost there
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Any minute now
-
-
-
-
-
Port
Hawks
-
-
-
Carlton
Saints
Tigers
Cats
Bombers
Crows
-
-
Pies
Dees
Dogs
Lions
Swans
-
-
GWS
-
-
Suns

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
How does the Melbourne takeover of Hawthorn differ from the Brisbane takeover of Fitzroy... apart from the latter happening and the former being a proposal that didn't go through?

In 1996 both the Hawthorn board of directors and the Melbourne board of directors entered into voluntary merger talks with one another and both boards - after protracted negotiations - agreed on the terms of the merger to be put to their respective members.

At no point during 1996 did the Fitzroy board of directors enter into any merger talks with the Brisbane Bears. No Fitzroy director ever served on the Brisbane Bears (Lions) board and the Fitzroy Football Club continued to exist in its own right after the 'merger', completely independent of the Brisbane Bears / Lions. That is still the situation today.

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Even in the 1990s, it was brilliant
I miss when players were men - had a job outside of footy, didn't worry about their social media profile, or their hurt feelings

I also wish the AFL didn't involve itself in politics on any level

The early-1990s maybe were still OK, but I didn't agree with the abandonment of the traditional grounds or the joyful destruction of Fitzroy.

uranium_death

All Australian
May 3, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
The early-1990s maybe were still OK, but I didn't agree with the abandonment of the traditional grounds or the joyful destruction of Fitzroy.

Yeah. I also wish we didn't ditch the traditional grounds, but the 2000s under Demetriou was the "Corporate-Era", where the average Joe was further separated by their club

Fitzroy's departure was a terrible chapter, but I don't think it was unjustified. Fitzroy's supporter base was very small, the economic base was tiny, and could have moved to Brisbane independently at the end of 1986. The players were apparently unanimous in that decision. I personally don't think there was a business case to retain Fitzroy. I know that statement won't be popular with some, but when you're taking loans from Nauru, you know things are pretty bad

The style of footy in the 90s was great to watch, and the crowds were just sensational. An era where players weren't so over-coached, they still had license for a bit of flair.
I reckon one of the most exciting times in football was Richmond's big revival in 1995 - the buzz in football at the time was something I reckon I have not seen since

Maybe it was just a good time of my life, and I'm just a stupid old man busy reminiscing...

pride of the West

Senior List
May 15, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Scrawny runts in 2006? Who suddenly became, 'muscled up?'

If Geelong did cheat, I would want them to be punished, as I would any club that cheats, but claims on perception are baseless and as credible as 'Chinese Whispers'
Yes mate they where so much bigger/stronger particularly the Midfielders Dank he’s his finger prints all over it. Big cover up!

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Especially when most of those flags happened when the competition was basically amateur.
1 of them, the Scum actually lost to St.Kilda and claimed the victory the following week in a second chance draw. 1913. Most of them are round robins.

They are minnow club, only 4 premierships since 1970.

Mailliw

Debutant
Feb 12, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1 of them, the Scum actually lost to St.Kilda and claimed the victory the following week in a second chance draw. 1913. Most of them are round robins.

Essendon and Collingwood are the supposed big two AFL clubs nationwide.

North Melbourne are a minnow club in Melbourne let alone on a national scale.

Yet..

North Melbourne and Essendon have both won four flags since 1970, while Collingwood have only won two.

Deathray

All Australian
Oct 7, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
Essendon. Karma will hopefully continue to punish these morally bankrupt primitives for at least another 10 years. Sheedy was a decent spruiker for the game but the deification of him as anything more than a hypocritical charlatan is sickening.

Mailliw

Debutant
Feb 12, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Essendon. Karma will hopefully continue to punish these morally bankrupt primitives for at least another 10 years. Sheedy was a decent spruiker for the game but the deification of him as anything more than a hypocritical charlatan is sickening.
Sheedy made the Collingwood/Essendon rivalry become a big thing.

uranium_death

All Australian
May 3, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
I think that dog Daniher knocking out Gavin Brown in the 1990 Grand Final was how the modern day Bombers v Pies rivalry started imo

Nah. Anzac Day 1995 - the fact it was a 95,000 crowd and a draw cemented the occasion and so-called rivalry

Personally, I don't think there's a rivalry of sorts. Rivalries aren't manufactured
Collingwood and Essendon have rarely been strong equals at any one time in the past 30 years, barring the Grand Final that year

Carlton-Collingwood is a rivalry that goes back decades and decades. The VFL didn't have a special fixture tied to it
Richmond-Carlton similar
Geelong-Hawthorn in more recent times

These rivalries endure.
Collingwood v Essendon is about wining Anzac Day, but the second fixture is never as big

IMO

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond
I have no love for Essendon, but I think most Collingwood supporters see Carlton and Richmond as bigger rivals.

Essendon have bigger rivalries with Carlton and Hawthorn.
I recall hearing Ron Barassi talk about the biggest rivalry he encountered during his time in football.

Given he was at Melbourne when the rivalry was massive with Collingwood. At Carlton when the rivalry was massive with Collingwood and Richmond, and at North Melbourne given the rivalry with Hawthorn.

He did not hesitate in saying the rivalry between Carlton and Richmond was the biggest he had seen. Both teams genuinely hated each other.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs

i thought the scum only entered the comp in 1987, the same year as the Bears. :cool:

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
I recall hearing Ron Barassi talk about the biggest rivalry he encountered during his time in football.

Given he was at Melbourne when the rivalry was massive with Collingwood. At Carlton when the rivalry was massive with Collingwood and Richmond, and at North Melbourne given the rivalry with Hawthorn.

He did not hesitate in saying the rivalry between Carlton and Richmond was the biggest he had seen. Both teams genuinely hated each other.
The Carlton and Richmond rivalry was in its prime in the late 60s/early 70s. Played a lot of finals against one another, so I think Barassi’s position on the rivalry is correct.

Between 1967-1974, Carlton and Richmond won all the premierships except in 1971 (Hawthorn).

North Melbourne and Hawthorn was massive in the 70s as well. They played 10 finals against each other in five seasons (1974-78), which included 3 Grand Finals. Between 1975-1978, Hawthorn was the only team to defeat North in the finals during those years.

Progressive Aggresion

Team Captain
Jan 30, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm not sure what the average amount of neutral games most supporters actually watch in their own time is, but I feel like I'd likely be watching more neutral games than the average fan. And in doing so I tend to learn and enjoy watching a diversity of different players and game plans to the point where I usually always find someone or something to enjoy from every club. So in general I don't exactly hold hatred to any club for any reason revolving around their sheer existence. Even the courtroom Crows despite having justification to do so, maybe its just my general love for footy in SA.

When it comes to fans and supporters? This is where I think bringing in the 'hate' word can be justified. Although to be honest, every club has its arrogant campaigners and meatheads. In particular though, fans in Facebook, Instagram and YouTube comments are the absolute WORST. And are choc full of brainless bandwagoners, and therefore supporters for whatever team is up and about at the time.

azyboy

Club Legend
Aug 31, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Everyone knows that Geelong will never get punished if they cheated during that era. 3 flags would destroy the afl. The league tried hard enough to save jobs brownlow.

It's also hard to believe Geelong went from scrawny runts in 2006 to muscled up superstars in one preseason without help.
Christ you post tripe. Problem is you genuinely believe it.

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond
The Carlton and Richmond rivalry was in its prime in the late 60s/early 70s. Played a lot of finals against one another, so I think Barassi’s position on the rivalry is correct.

Between 1967-1974, Carlton and Richmond won all the premierships except in 1971 (Hawthorn).

North Melbourne and Hawthorn was massive in the 70s as well. They played 10 finals against each other in five seasons (1974-78), which included 3 Grand Finals. Between 1975-1978, Hawthorn was the only team to defeat North in the finals during those years.
Carlton's victory in the 1972 GF really stung Richmond. Richmond were red hot favourites and got smashed. The Tigers were hellbent on exacting revenge in 1973, one way or the other. The physical punishment Richmond handed Carlton in 1973 affected their psyche for a few years.

In fact, when Sheedy became coach of Essendon, Carlton did not beat Essendon between 1981-85 even though Carlton won 2 premierships in that time. Sheedy adopted the Richmond philosophy of physically belting Carlton. And he had the hard nuts to carry it out.

For supporters of my vintage, as much as Richmond supporters hate Carlton, at least we exacted revenge. I could only imagine how much Collingwood supporters loathe Carlton given the pain Carlton inflicted in 1970, 1979 and 1981 without pay back.

uranium_death

All Australian
May 3, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
For supporters of my vintage, as much as Richmond supporters hate Carlton, at least we exacted revenge. I could only imagine how much Collingwood supporters loathe Carlton given the pain Carlton inflicted in 1970, 1979 and 1981 without pay back.

Would have hurt Collingwood supporters to lose 64, 66, 70, 77, 79-81, while watching Carlton win 68, 70, 72, 79, 81-82 87 while only losing in 69, 73 and 86.

Had Carlton lost all those Grand Finals and Collingwood been the successful team, Carlton would be a completely different club - their psyche would have been completely turned. They'd have 9 flags which while respectable, nowhere near as impressive...

To Collingwood's credit - they've maintained pride in their club throughout, despite all the disappointments. I am not sure any club could do that to the same extent as they have

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Would have hurt Collingwood supporters to lose 64, 66, 70, 77, 79-81, while watching Carlton win 68, 70, 72, 79, 81-82 87 while only losing in 69, 73 and 86.

Had Carlton lost all those Grand Finals and Collingwood been the successful team, Carlton would be a completely different club - their psyche would have been completely turned. They'd have 9 flags which while respectable, nowhere near as impressive...

To Collingwood's credit - they've maintained pride in their club throughout, despite all the disappointments. I am not sure any club could do that to the same extent as they have
Its like a badge of honour knowing no matter how good a year we've had, its likely well * it up royally in the big one when we make it

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes mate they where so much bigger/stronger particularly the Midfielders Dank he’s his finger prints all over it. Big cover up!

Yeah if there’s one thing I associated with the Ablett, Bartel, Kelly, Selwood and Ling of 2007 it’s that all of them were huge

9545E860-6B7F-4ACE-AD69-611D3DCB6713.jpeg
FCE201B2-B340-4AC4-85F9-365A17A9A711.jpeg
4B90111C-EE4F-4251-86D4-784F0A08476D.jpeg
6A1850F2-8F7D-4FE4-9CBF-60AB2720F419.jpeg
83AC75E6-FFAA-4D0F-92FF-394F05CB980C.jpeg

Back