Opinion Which club do you hate the most?

Which club do you hate the most?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hate is a very harsh word. I don't hate anyone, I don't like a lot of people and things, but I don't hate them. In football terms, the target is always a perfectly hateable caricature we invent to avoid glimpsing the true enemy staring back at us from over the fence when your team is 5 goals down with 2 minutes to play in the game. The average fan hates the team that inflicts the defeat.

The list is interesting, Essendon get all the hate over the drugs scandal and Geelong come next out of pure envy, they have been too successful for such a long time, many fans can't sleep at night. (Fans hate them because Aussie's are experts at the tall poppy syndrome and tearing down the best at everything) People have been waiting for their downfall for 18 odd years.
Some imbeciles on here actually believe Geelong have some sort of Drug connection? Utter balderdash and total fabrication, not a scrap of evidence exists and it's the invention of jealous tiny minds plus AFL fans are not the sharpest tools in the shed. It's just been a well-run club.

I don't hate any team, there are games I hope we win more than others (Hawthorn for example) But I don't hate a team enough to wish for their demise. Collingwood and Carlton go without saying, we love to win those games because of their success over 100 years. It feels good to beat them more than anyone else.
Hating about sporting teams is probably the fourth most common talking point of every hack comic, right after bad drivers, airline food and how weird the opposite sex is. You may or may not get much consensus on the latter, (guys, just do what they say and don't lose the remote) but sporting teams is an impossibility! Every fan is an expert and all opposition teams are the enemy. There is no compromise.

In order;
Geelong - too many advantages
Carlton- arrogant
Essendon- too many illegal shortcuts
Hawthorn- not enough supporters, bad colours, shafting Clarkson, Kennett.
Collingwood - backwards club behind the times
North Melb- not serious, take a lot of money from others
Adelaide - bogan city, unsophisticated, torture camp
Brisbane- free academy players, boring personalities.
Melbourne- supporters, , coach, bad nickname in 'Demons'.

In order;
Carlton- arrogant

If Melbourne don’t start winning, soon they might have a whole new nickname. ‘Diemens.’ 😂

In order;
Carlton- arrogant
Demons the worst nickname????? I thought it was universally agreed upon it was the coolest??

In order;
Carlton- arrogant
Geelong, too many advantages? I get it that North, Carlton, WB, Essendon, St Kilda and whoever else is based at Marvel, is shitty that when the AFL demanded Geelong follow these clubs like sheep and make Docklands its home ground, Geelong FC said no, "We are Geelong, not a suburban club based in Melbourne."

But what other advantages does Geelong have?

No home finals
No top 10 draft picks since 2006 (Joel Selwood)

Geelong, too many advantages? I get it that North, Carlton, WB, Essendon, St Kilda and whoever else is based at Marvel, is shitty that when the AFL demanded Geelong follow these clubs like sheep and make Docklands its home ground, Geelong FC said no, "We are Geelong, not a suburban club based in Melbourne."

No home finals
Are you saying that Geelong should have been given more higher draft picks? You can't have it both ways.
The advantages are the ridiculous home ground advantage on an oval no one ever plays on which is not fit to be an AFL ground due to it's proportions.
Being a seaside town, a lot of players like to live there especially country boys like Jeremy Cameron so you get a lot of free agents.
Steven Hocking changed the rules to suit Geelong and then took a job at Geelong.

No home finals

Come on Sttew, if we wanted to get asked dorothy dixers we would stay on our own board. 😉

Your coach gets to order new rules to suit his team any time he wants.

And you still win less than 10% of your finals against teams who finish top 4. 😂😂

Last edited:
Are you saying that Geelong should have been given more higher draft picks? You can't have it both ways.
The advantages are the ridiculous home ground advantage on an oval no one ever plays on which is not fit to be an AFL ground due to it's proportions.
Being a seaside town, a lot of players like to live there especially country boys like Jeremy Cameron so you get a lot of free agents.
Steven Hocking changed the rules to suit Geelong and then took a job at Geelong.

Hilarious stuff, absolutely hilarious. 😂😂😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't hate any team, there are games I hope we win more than others (Hawthorn for example) But I don't hate a team enough to wish for their demise.

I'm with you. I think what so many sporting fans don't "consciously get" is that without the opposition the competition wouldn't exist. There are teams I like St Kilda beating more than others but that is about it.

I feel like I have only ever hated a club due to certain personalities within or around them. Not really the club itself as a whole.

For example, until a few years ago I never really hated Port Adelaide. It was always the sort of thing you'd say you did to fit in with your own tribe. But then I started listening to Rucci and Cornes on SEN and now I ******* deathride Port daily. But really it's because of those two imbeciles.

Similar to Collingwood. Always hated them but I think it was mostly Eddie's bs that did it for me. Ever since he has left I haven't really disliked them (my in-laws all support them as well as some close mates so I feel I have a lot of reason to dislike them if not just for the banter but I don't).

You also feel the natural disdain toward whomever is going well at the time but those feelings, as those above when those individuals eff off, will pass.

I don't think there is a club that is rancid to the core. Actually my own is pretty ****ed through and through but that's always been love/hate.

LOL. Just LOL! Most posters not from Geelong label it a s**t hole.

The incoming CEO needs to be decisive and impose a seaside town tax to discourage free agents signing with Geelong.

Out of curiosity how does St Kilda attract all its free agents?

No home finals
Why would we be shitty about anything to do with Marvel?

Essendon got a great deal.

I'm with you. I think what so many sporting fans don't "consciously get" is that without the opposition the competition wouldn't exist. There are teams I like St Kilda beating more than others but that is about it.
Of course, we all want our team to win, sometimes though you get a bigger kick out of beating some other teams than most. You want the opposition to be at their best also, it feels much better if they have a full-strength team and you win. As a kid going to suburban grounds like Carlton, Collingwood or Windy Hill was always a hope for the best thought, but if we won it was like winning the Grand Final! I like the history of football, i still miss Fitzroy!

I know where the lettuce has gone, it's replaced a number of football fans' brains? That Oval has been their home ground since 1941 (81 years!) You do know there is no standardised measurement of Australian Rules Football grounds? It means the AFL has no fixed dimensions and all suburban grounds were different, all suburban leagues today play on ovals that have different dimensions. People who complain about Geelong and the imaginary advantages are simply just complainers. It simply proves the envy point. How are you going to handle it when they get 11 home games when the redevelopment is completed?

Essendon easily, no team even close. Drug cheats who were essentially given a #1 pick for being drug cheats.

tom hardy bane GIF

Back