Which club has been most humble in GF victory this decade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nebula1971

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
F1 McLaren
I have only been on BF from early 2005, therefore unable to comment.

Sydney and Pies haven't been too bad IMO.

Hawks I thought were over the top in "08"

Collingwood, we're the most humble and modest club by the length of the flemington straight, no other club comes close.

Port Power. After all their "chokings" they took the win really well, I didnt seem to detect them ramming it down anyones throats. Then again I dont live in SA so maybe it went unnoticed.

Sydney.

Geelong... probably the best team ever assembled and had more rights to be cockier than they were.

WORST offenders:

Brisbane. Living in QLD the bs was non-stop, a complete lack of respect for opposition supporters during the glory years, will forever dislike them for that.

Hawks... Seem a lot of their fans feel its their God given right for premiership glory... probably just jealousy on my part :)

Sydney!

We waited 72 years and we didn't talk about dynasties immediately after we won!

We're obviously talking fans yeah? It always depends on the fashion of the Victory. Collingwood were expected to win but drew with the Saints then won a week later when the excitement in the GF had dropped off quite significantly. I think most Pies fans were more relieved than excited.

2007 Geelong were the best team, they belted a pretty mediocre team and were also pretty relieved but got a bit arrogant as of a result but restrained by the drought-breaking relief.
2008 Hawthorn weren't really given much of a chance going into the GF because of the love affair with Geelong and their near perfect season. Fans probably went over the top as it was an underdog win and in pretty spectacular fashion.
2009 Geelong won in a really close one, must have been an exhausting day and the fans had already seen a flag in recent times so the jubilation of a close win might have been somewhat subdued.

So Hawks were probably the worst (not like we give a f$%k) but probably because most of the other recent winners hadn't won many flags in the last 25 years and other circumstances. Just wait till Essendon or Carlton win one and become the first club to 17. You'll never hear the end of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually thought Geelong and their supporters were quite dignified after 07. That may have had something to do with the immense relief the entire club felt.

To win your first flag in 44 years and by a record margin does give you some fairly massive bragging rights.

Don't you wish you could be a scumbag, cheering, euphoric supporter too?

I'd like to think most Saints supporters wouldn't be too bad if we won but no doubt a few people would probably get carried away.

To be fair, the majority of Collingwood supporters haven't been too bad. Just a few who have been ungracious, arrogant knobs, not surprisingly they have mainly been bandwagoners.

Pies were very gracious winners this year.Eddie,Mick and Nick Maxwell all went out of their way to praise St Kilda for what they have achieved in the last two years.

The supporters maybe weren't quite so humble,but that's another story.:)

I'd like to think most Saints supporters wouldn't be too bad if we won but no doubt a few people would probably get carried away.

To be fair, the majority of Collingwood supporters haven't been too bad. Just a few who have been ungracious, arrogant knobs, not surprisingly they have mainly been bandwagoners.

Cheers, you would hope everyone in general would take it humbly, or at least be ratbags for the day only. I generally ignore the previous premiership once the first ball up of round 1 starts, trying to wear the "reigning premiers" tag doesn't help if you have a terrible follow up season.

P.S. I hope I don't get bandwagon tagged, may not have been able to post much here, but I've been on this road for 16/22 years =P.

Swans and Lions IMO.

First year I'd agree with Lions, from a supporter base, LIVING in QLD it was a nightmare. Copping flack for being a magpie in Central QLD and people who NEVER followed AFL trying to take digs at ya, without even realising how anything in the game worked, no idea on anything really.

Living in QLD, I was happy the lions won one, seeing more AFL exposure was great, but then I remembered I was in QLD, this couldn't end well, may very well be different in Brisbane, but it was borderline hell up there.

In the time that I've been on here, in order of best to worst...

Geelong fans
Collingwood fans

daylight

eagles fans

more daylight

Hawthorn fans

haha..you have to be joking. You guys are horrible after achieving sweet nothings. A 10 game winning streak is enough to have you all ejaculating in your pants.

For a club with such a pathetic history you guys have far to much to say!

Imagine you actually won something.....besides a wooden spoon that is!

Collingwood, we're the most humble and modest club by the length of the flemington straight, no other club comes close.

Which proves the point this is a very stupid thread.

What is the definition of humble / humility? What is acceptable and what isn't?

Without doubt - again proving this is a stupid thread - Geelong's acceptance of premiership medals in 2007 was the most humble I had seen, as they gave their caps to the kids handing out the medals.

So when we say club, everyone is referring to supporters?

If so, yep, Hawks not good.

If you're referring to the ACTUAL club, Hawthorn was very very humble in victory, with Clarkson repeatedly telling anyone who wanted to listen that Geelong was the best team that year. That's about as humble as it gets.

Collingwood, and in doing so proves beyond doubt that it is the greatest sporting club in the country.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back