Play Nice Which club has the biggest supporter base? Collingwood, Richmond or West Coast?

Which club has the biggest supporter base?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The_Wookie

Queenslander
Jul 2, 2010
Scamander
AFL Club
Carlton
Of course it's not everything, but crowds - at last against interstate opposition - are probably the strongest indicator of support.

Ive never subscribed to this theory at all. People wont go to matches to see matches that are pointless half the time or a times they dont like that conflict with work or weekend family sport, and these matches are far more likely to be at times when those matter.

But Optus has more seats available for tenant clubs to sell than any other ground in Australia. The capacity restraint argument applies more so to every other club.

Capacity hasnt affected the ability of clubs to sell memberships well over their seating allotments at the G or Docklands.

Rob

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Ive never subscribed to this theory at all. People wont go to matches to see matches that are pointless half the time or a times they dont like that conflict with work or weekend family sport, and these matches are far more likely to be at times when those matter.

So what other individual measure would be more indicative of support then?

Not suggesting it's the be all and end all, but I don't know of another measure that would be close. Membership income maybe.

Capacity hasnt affected the ability of clubs to sell memberships well over their seating allotments at the G or Docklands.

Yeah, trinket memberships that cost 2/5ths of fu** all.

The_Wookie

Queenslander
Jul 2, 2010
Scamander
AFL Club
Carlton
So what other individual measure would be more indicative of support then?

I dont think any one measure indicates who is more strongly supported. Lots of casual support out there for many clubs. the amount people can pay is not one of my favorite indicators by a long way.

I think that all parts attendance, membership, television audience, merchandise sales, supercoach numbers, social media - I think they are all part of the overall picture, each with pros and cons.

All we can do is rank these individual indicators and debate which means more. I dont think anyone is particlarly wrong, and weighting them for importance is really going to be subjective to whoever is reading it.

Is membership revenue a big indicator, sure - and its going to be more importat to a club that makes more from it. Is it going to be less of a thing to clubs in victoria whose members are also AFL support members, and MCC support members? Probably.

Attendances are going to mean more to some clubs than others - playing at the MCG is a big advantage in some respects. Its going to mean less to other clubs that play at poor times, or in smaller stadiums.

TV ratings are going to mean more to clubs that get good tv time - but mean less to clubs with bugger all free to air coverage.

Some clubs lie dormant and then rise up out of nowhere went the casual support returns, some need a flag to wake people up, some benefit from 120 years of hegemony, some from being located in single or two club cities. Some clubs come from lower socio-economic areas, some clubs are very new and lacking in any history or success.