Play Nice Which club has the biggest supporter base? Collingwood, Richmond or West Coast?

Which club has the biggest supporter base?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Vespa

?
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting statement from James Brayshaw regarding which club is the biggest.

West Coast lead Collingwood and Richmond in the Roy Morgan polls so Brayshaw's statement may not be too far fetched.

AFL.com.au official poll results regarding this subject make for interesting reading.

Which club do you think has the biggest supporter base?

Last edited:
Interesting statement from James Brayshaw regarding which club is the biggest.

West Coast lead Collingwood and Richmond in the Roy Morgan polls so Brayshaw's statement may not be too far fetched.

Which club do you think has the biggest supporter base?

James Brayshaw say's something on WA Radio that a WA audience would like....

How is this worthy of a new thread?

Philth

Club Legend
Feb 4, 2008
Geraldton
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United
What does that even mean...’supporter base’ - what are we measuring here?

People who ‘like’ that club?..

Could this just be another pissing contest? 🤔
People who support that club. Not necessarily members.

Would actually be pretty close between those 3 I reckon.

It would take a very expensive and lengthy poll to find out though......

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
West Coast
Collingwood

Richmond
Yeah I'm inclined to agree.

It seems like there are a lot of flogs in WA so I'd say West Coast would be first.
Victoria has a lot of flogs too mind you, so Collingwood second.
Not a whole heap of non-flogs in Victoria, so Richmond a distant third.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
In all seriousness, I don't know a whole lot about West Coast's supporter base. I know that Collingwood have a bigger supporter base than Richmond owing to the fact that they have a stronger nationwide presence.

I imagine a large proportion of Western Australian AFL fans would follow West Coast. If there were no waiting lists, then I'd have thought that they would have the biggest membership.

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
In all seriousness, I don't know a whole lot about West Coast's supporter base. I know that Collingwood have a bigger supporter base than Richmond owing to the fact that they have a stronger nationwide presence.

I imagine a large proportion of Western Australian AFL fans would follow West Coast. If there were no waiting lists, then I'd have thought that they would have the biggest membership.

I think this is about right. Collingwood supporter base is a bit bigger than Richmond across the country. West Coast's supporter base would be a bit bigger than Collingwood again and unlike Sydney who also have a massive state advantage, West Australians actually follow footy and buy merchandise, watch games, buy memberships etc - which explains why WC makes so much money from sponsorship, merch etc.

West Coast's membership is limited by ground size, but still somehow has 90k members for a 60k stadium. Richmond has a small(er) supporter base but most are proper footy fans and the club is brilliant at activating them and getting them to sign up for memberships.

Adelaide, Carlton & Essendon are sleeping giants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond would have a lot of supporters in the 40-90 age range who would be quite normal people. Then there would be a huge gap, and judging by bigfooty a bunch of 12 to 15 year old girls who know nothing about football.

Surely Port would have the most supporters when you factor in the 1.3 billion Chinese fans.

Lol way to miss the point, OP. He was talking about wealth and power.

West Coast is obviously the wealthiest and most powerful.

...so the 'most powerful' club in the league has to move to the Gold Coast?

Imagine what a club with real power could do to ensure the competition resuming doesn't disadvantage them.

Vespa

?
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
...so the 'most powerful' club in the league has to move to the Gold Coast?

Imagine what a club with real power could do to ensure the competition resuming doesn't disadvantage them.

Agreed, when it comes to the most powerful club, it's hard to go past the Pies.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Agreed, when it comes to the most powerful club, it's hard to go past the Pies.

Yeah the influence Collingwood have at AFL House is staggering. Say what you want about the Fat Bogan from Broadmeadows, he's convinced them that Collingwood's interests lay above all others.

Back