Play Nice Which club has the biggest supporter base? Collingwood, Richmond or West Coast?

Which club has the biggest supporter base?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again, why would the AFL or the WA clubs want to weaken the

That would be like me saying we should just move North or St Kilda and those fans will just follow another team.

I know you think the Non-Victorian clubs are something other than "real clubs" and probably feel that they come off an assembly line and supporters just follow any old club, but that simply isn't the case.

It doesn't work like that.

The only reason Fremantle/Port Adelaide/GWS/Gold Coast work as 2nd teams in those states is that they represent a very clear and unambiguous geographical location. In the instances of Fremantle and Port Adelaide, those two clubs represent places that have very strong connection Aussie rules.

Just landing a 3rd team in Perth simply won't work.

If you are genuine in your interest in evening up the travel burden, you would be in favour of a fixture that allocates "home state" games and follows the precedent of finals footy. For example, each team may get 14 games in their home state, and 8 games interstate. I highly doubt you would be amenable to that idea, because I think your stated empathy for the travel burden of West Coast is insincere.

None of the issues being raised by supporters of Victorian clubs are actually issues for West Coast fans, so I am not really sure why you're all trying to solve a problem that isn't as important as what you make it out to be.
But that could happen if 2 new sides were created in WA.

But then.

You would need to create 2 new sides in all the other states.

But that could happen if 2 new sides were created in WA.

But then.

You would need to create 2 new sides in all the other states.

You could do it starting 2021 with the current composition.

You're also ignoring the sentiment of my post, that was the idea of creating a 3rd team in WA to alleviate travel burden of WA clubs is misguided and killing a fly with a bazooka. Especially when you consider there are already levers available to the AFL to equalise travel burden if that was something that they were interested in doing.

You could do it starting 2021 with the current composition.

You're also ignoring the sentiment of my post, that was the idea of creating a 3rd team in WA to alleviate travel burden of WA clubs is misguided and killing a fly with a bazooka. Especially when you consider there are already levers available to the AFL to equalise travel burden if that was something that they were interested in doing.
But you cant do what you said.

You would end up with all the non-Vic teams playing 13 true home games, you would need extra teams to make the extra games neutral.

But you cant do what you said.

You would end up with all the non-Vic teams playing 13 true home games, you would need extra teams to make the extra games neutral.

Right.

Like I said, it follows the concept the AFL has for finals.

But once again, you're focussing on a part of my post that was not central to the point I was making.

You're wasting my time with your circular thinking, and low brow analysis.

Right.

Like I said, it follows the concept the AFL has for finals.

But once again, you're focussing on a part of my post that was not central to the point I was making.

You're wasting my time with your circular thinking, and low brow analysis.
Lol, you guys snap pretty quick.

I agreed a new WA side was a waste of time, i was just correcting you on how you could fix travel.

Big 4 (ref crowds, unique ip, tv, social media, youtube, merch, membership)
1.WCE 1.2 mill fans ref west australian survey.
2. Coll 1.1 mill ref (Eddie McGuire CFClub) highest number if unique youtube views

3. Carlton 1 mill Ref (Greg Swann, R Geminder) second highest youtube unique views second highest website hits.

3. Essendon 1 mill EFC.com, linkedin, Graham McMahon, highest number of website hits. Supercoach number 1.

4. Adelaide Crows 800,000 ref above.
Freo have around 450,000.. less than Crows Tigers, Hawks,Cats Swans Lions.

I suppose we have to differentiate between casual fans that nominate a club because their dad went for them, and people who put money where their mouth is.

When Fremantle made the 2013 Grand Final they had about 20k people fly over I believe, all paying extortionate amounts for flights.

50k members despite second most expensive membership in the league after West Coast.

You cannot possibly tell me that the Swans and Lions are bigger clubs than Fremantle. Lions couldn't even sell out their semi final last year in a small arena.

I suppose we have to differentiate between casual fans that nominate a club because their dad went for them, and people who put money where their mouth is.

When Fremantle made the 2013 Grand Final they had about 20k people fly over I believe, all paying extortionate amounts for flights.

50k members despite second most expensive membership in the league after West Coast.

You cannot possibly tell me that the Swans and Lions are bigger clubs than Fremantle. Lions couldn't even sell out their semi final last year in a small arena.
Good point but more people identify with Lions and Swans and they have more fans when it comes to digital data footprint. I was at the 2013 GF it seemed half the crowd was purple great sit seeing the thousands of Dockers walking down Birrung Marr.

yup.

to support a wa club through to a gf is an expensive undertaking.

ive never seen an eagles gf and my grandad died having never been to one because he couldnt travel.

You went 3-15 and avoided the wooden spoon by % only in 1941. You withdrew from the comp in 1942 because... wait for it... your fans couldn’t travel easily to Melbourne for away games. I didn’t realise the softness of Geelong fans I witnessed after the 2017 qualifying final - complaining about crowd noise - extended that far back.

Now, if only the Germans had laid down so easily...

Between the 1941 & 1942 season:

8 December 1941

This sound recording is an excerpt of a public address given by Australian Prime Minister John Curtin (1885–1945) on 8 December 1941 announcing Australia's declaration of war on Japan.
Australia declares war with Japan – excerpt of Prime Minister ...

It's actually you that has NFI.

How does introducing a third team mean more people get to see West Coast play live?

Your solution does not solve the issue that you have identified as being a problem.

I'm not greedy. You're just engaging in the politics of envy, given you support a club with poor history of on field success and a off-field history of being poor.

West Coast reserved seating is 50K of a 60K stadium.

6K available for general public.

4K for tourism packages etc.

The issue is expanding the stadium (which can be done) over the next 10 or so years. In order to do that, Freo need to get up and about again, expand their member base and attendance to 2015 levels.

We'll be fine. You just look after your own (broke AF) club.

The problem for stadiums is usage & the MCC has the AFL by the short & curlys.
Another low drawing club wont fix that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Between the 1941 & 1942 season:

8 December 1941

This sound recording is an excerpt of a public address given by Australian Prime Minister John Curtin (1885–1945) on 8 December 1941 announcing Australia's declaration of war on Japan.
Australia declares war with Japan – excerpt of Prime Minister ...

Speech by Menzies, 3rd September 1939...

Fellow Australians, it is my melancholy duty to inform you officially that, in consequence of the persistence of Germany in her invasion of Poland, Great Britain has declared war upon her, and that, as a result, Australia is also at war. No harder task can fall to the lot of a democratic leader than to make such an announcement. Great Britain and France, with the cooperation of the British Dominions, have struggled to avoid this tragedy. They have, as I firmly believe, been patient; they have kept the door of negotiation open; they have given no cause for aggression. But in the result their efforts have failed and we are, therefore, as a great family of nations, involved in a struggle which we must at all costs win, and which we believe in our hearts we will win ...

Speech by Menzies, 3rd September 1939...

Fellow Australians, it is my melancholy duty to inform you officially that, in consequence of the persistence of Germany in her invasion of Poland, Great Britain has declared war upon her, and that, as a result, Australia is also at war. No harder task can fall to the lot of a democratic leader than to make such an announcement. Great Britain and France, with the cooperation of the British Dominions, have struggled to avoid this tragedy. They have, as I firmly believe, been patient; they have kept the door of negotiation open; they have given no cause for aggression. But in the result their efforts have failed and we are, therefore, as a great family of nations, involved in a struggle which we must at all costs win, and which we believe in our hearts we will win ...
Great read Menzies was a Carlton man🖒

West Coast become first non-Victorian club hit 100,000 member mark, dethrone Richmond for most in AFL

Richmond has officially been dethroned from the membership ladder, with the West Coast Eagles usurping the reigning premiers as they set new non-Victorian club records.

The AFL on Wednesday morning released the total AFL club membership numbers for the 2020 season.

Despite cracking 100,000 members for the third straight season, Richmond aren’t the most backed club in the AFL.

SCROLL DOWN TO SEE THE FULL MEMBERSHIP LADDER

Instead, it was the Eagles with a more than 10 per cent jump in members in the COVID-19 hit 2020, finishing with a total of 100,776.

It is the first time West Coast has topped the AFL membership tally, meaning it was also the first time a non-Victorian club had finished first.

The Eagles were one of five clubs to also break their all-time membership records amid the COVID-19 pandemic, joining Carlton, Gold Coast Suns, GWS Giants and St Kilda.

Fremantle has close to half of the West Coast fan base, finishing in ninth with more than 51,000 members for 2020.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan paid tribute to the fans that had remained loyal to their respective clubs.

“Footy is about connection and a sense of belonging and this remarkable number demonstrates AFL members are the most passionate and loyal members across all sports,” McLachlan said.

“The commitment members made to their clubs is a key reason why all 18 clubs were able to survive a challenging and unprecedented year.

“We have been blown away by the loyalty and commitment footy fans around the country have demonstrated this season.”

Essendon and Melbourne’s membership bases both shrunk by more than 20 per cent, with the Bombers down nearly 18,000 from their 2019 tally.

The Swans also took a hit by losing over 13,500 members in 2020, while Port Adelaide was also slightly down despite sitting on top of the AFL ladder all season.

Collingwood, Hawthorn, Geelong, Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne all took slight hits, but the Blues and Lions both recorded upswings.

In total, the AFL reported 992,854 total memberships this year - 669,745 adults, 90,042 concessional members and 233,067 juniors - down from the all-time record of 1,057,572 set last.

It was just the second time in the past 30 years AFL club membership numbers had decreased year-on-year, with the exceptions being in 2000 (Sydney Olympic Games) and 2020 (COVID-19).

2020 CLUB MEMBERSHIP LADDER

1. West Coast Eagles: 100,776 (2019 tally: 90,445 | +10.3%)

2. Richmond: 100,420 (2019 tally: 103,358 | -0.3%)

3. Collingwood: 76,862 (2019 tally: 85,226 | -10.9%)

4. Hawthorn: 76,343 (2019 tally: 81,211 | -6.4%)

5. Carlton: 67,035 (2019 tally: 64,269 | +4.1%)

6. Essendon: 66,686 (2019 tally: 84,237 | -26.3%)

7. Geelong: 60,066 (2019 tally: 65,063 | -6.7%)

8. Adelaide: 54,891 (2019 tally: 64,437 | -17.4%)

9. Fremantle: 51,577 (2019 tally: 51,431 | +0.3% )

10. St Kilda: 48,588 (2019 tally: 43,038 | +11.4%)

11. Sydney: 48,322 (2019 tally: 61,912 | -28.1%)

12. Port Adelaide: 46,820 (2019 tally: 51,951 | -11%)

13. Melbourne: 40,571 (2019 tally: 52,421 | -29.2%)

14. Western Bulldogs: 38,876 (2019 tally: 44,373 | -14.1%)

15. North Melbourne: 38,667 (2019 tally: 42,419 | -9.7%)

16. GWS Giants: 30,841 (2019 tally: 30,109 | +2.4%)

17. Brisbane Lions: 29,277 (2019 tally: 28,023 | +4.2%)

18. Gold Coast Suns: 16,236 (2019 tally: 13,649 | +15.9%)

TOTAL: 992,854 (2019 tally: 1,057,572)

yup.

to support a wa club through to a gf is an expensive undertaking.

ive never seen an eagles gf and my grandad died having never been to one because he couldnt travel.
For sure. And because you don't know if your team is in it until the week prior, you pay the overs on flights, accommodation etc. What was the going rate for airfare GF weekend 2018? Could easily see the weekend for 2 costing 5k

For sure. And because you don't know if your team is in it until the week prior, you pay the overs on flights, accommodation etc. What was the going rate for airfare GF weekend 2018? Could easily see the weekend for 2 costing 5k

Can be $2k return just for flights

West Coast become first non-Victorian club hit 100,000 member mark, dethrone Richmond for most in AFL

Richmond has officially been dethroned from the membership ladder, with the West Coast Eagles usurping the reigning premiers as they set new non-Victorian club records.

The AFL on Wednesday morning released the total AFL club membership numbers for the 2020 season.

Despite cracking 100,000 members for the third straight season, Richmond aren’t the most backed club in the AFL.

SCROLL DOWN TO SEE THE FULL MEMBERSHIP LADDER

Instead, it was the Eagles with a more than 10 per cent jump in members in the COVID-19 hit 2020, finishing with a total of 100,776.

It is the first time West Coast has topped the AFL membership tally, meaning it was also the first time a non-Victorian club had finished first.

The Eagles were one of five clubs to also break their all-time membership records amid the COVID-19 pandemic, joining Carlton, Gold Coast Suns, GWS Giants and St Kilda.

Fremantle has close to half of the West Coast fan base, finishing in ninth with more than 51,000 members for 2020.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan paid tribute to the fans that had remained loyal to their respective clubs.

“Footy is about connection and a sense of belonging and this remarkable number demonstrates AFL members are the most passionate and loyal members across all sports,” McLachlan said.

“The commitment members made to their clubs is a key reason why all 18 clubs were able to survive a challenging and unprecedented year.

“We have been blown away by the loyalty and commitment footy fans around the country have demonstrated this season.”

Essendon and Melbourne’s membership bases both shrunk by more than 20 per cent, with the Bombers down nearly 18,000 from their 2019 tally.

The Swans also took a hit by losing over 13,500 members in 2020, while Port Adelaide was also slightly down despite sitting on top of the AFL ladder all season.

Collingwood, Hawthorn, Geelong, Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne all took slight hits, but the Blues and Lions both recorded upswings.

In total, the AFL reported 992,854 total memberships this year - 669,745 adults, 90,042 concessional members and 233,067 juniors - down from the all-time record of 1,057,572 set last.

It was just the second time in the past 30 years AFL club membership numbers had decreased year-on-year, with the exceptions being in 2000 (Sydney Olympic Games) and 2020 (COVID-19).

2020 CLUB MEMBERSHIP LADDER

1. West Coast Eagles: 100,776 (2019 tally: 90,445 | +10.3%)

2. Richmond: 100,420 (2019 tally: 103,358 | -0.3%)

3. Collingwood: 76,862 (2019 tally: 85,226 | -10.9%)

4. Hawthorn: 76,343 (2019 tally: 81,211 | -6.4%)

5. Carlton: 67,035 (2019 tally: 64,269 | +4.1%)

6. Essendon: 66,686 (2019 tally: 84,237 | -26.3%)

7. Geelong: 60,066 (2019 tally: 65,063 | -6.7%)

8. Adelaide: 54,891 (2019 tally: 64,437 | -17.4%)

9. Fremantle: 51,577 (2019 tally: 51,431 | +0.3% )

10. St Kilda: 48,588 (2019 tally: 43,038 | +11.4%)

11. Sydney: 48,322 (2019 tally: 61,912 | -28.1%)

12. Port Adelaide: 46,820 (2019 tally: 51,951 | -11%)

13. Melbourne: 40,571 (2019 tally: 52,421 | -29.2%)

14. Western Bulldogs: 38,876 (2019 tally: 44,373 | -14.1%)

15. North Melbourne: 38,667 (2019 tally: 42,419 | -9.7%)

16. GWS Giants: 30,841 (2019 tally: 30,109 | +2.4%)

17. Brisbane Lions: 29,277 (2019 tally: 28,023 | +4.2%)

18. Gold Coast Suns: 16,236 (2019 tally: 13,649 | +15.9%)

TOTAL: 992,854 (2019 tally: 1,057,572)
Congrats to Eagles for reaching 100k! It would be interesting what these numbers would be like if covid weren't a thing. There are also some substantial drops in membership. A bit of explanation for each:

1. West Coast: Solid increase due to getting crowds at home games
2. Richmond: Slight decrease despite no fans allowed at home games. I'd expect our membership to go up and push 110k if there was no covid
3. Collingwood: Significant drop off - some poor results might have contributed. Seems at odds with the Pies apparently being the biggest club
4. Hawthorn: Fair drop off - due to poor results
5. Carlton: Teague Train vol 2 causes an increase. The end of this season might influence how the numbers stack up next year
6. Essendon: Significant drop off - due to poor results even though they started the season well. This is a pretty awful showing by the Bombers
7. Geelong: Similar to other vic sides. A bit of a drop due to no home crowds
8. Adelaide: Entirely due to results considering they get home crowds. Fair weather supporters?
9. Fremantle: See West Coast home crowds
10. St Kilda: Positive on-field results
11. Sydney: Very disappointing drop off due to poor results. Interesting because they got some home crowds early on (I think)
12. Port Adelaide: Really surprising drop off given they have improved on-field and have gotten home crowds
13. Melbourne: No home crowds and drop off in form
14. Western Bulldogs: Same as Melbourne
15. North Melbourne: Same as Melbourne
16. GWS: Fairly steady, very surprising they have a larger membership base than the Lions
17. Brisbane: Really should have got a much bigger increase due to QLD hub, home crowds, and high ladder position
18. GC: Positive based on home crowds and some promising results

Congrats to Eagles for reaching 100k! It would be interesting what these numbers would be like if covid weren't a thing. There are also some substantial drops in membership. A bit of explanation for each:

1. West Coast: Solid increase due to getting crowds at home games
2. Richmond: Slight decrease despite no fans allowed at home games. I'd expect our membership to go up and push 110k if there was no covid
3. Collingwood: Significant drop off - some poor results might have contributed. Seems at odds with the Pies apparently being the biggest club
4. Hawthorn: Fair drop off - due to poor results
5. Carlton: Teague Train vol 2 causes an increase. The end of this season might influence how the numbers stack up next year
6. Essendon: Significant drop off - due to poor results even though they started the season well. This is a pretty awful showing by the Bombers
7. Geelong: Similar to other vic sides. A bit of a drop due to no home crowds
8. Adelaide: Entirely due to results considering they get home crowds. Fair weather supporters?
9. Fremantle: See West Coast home crowds
10. St Kilda: Positive on-field results
11. Sydney: Very disappointing drop off due to poor results. Interesting because they got some home crowds early on (I think)
12. Port Adelaide: Really surprising drop off given they have improved on-field and have gotten home crowds
13. Melbourne: No home crowds and drop off in form
14. Western Bulldogs: Same as Melbourne
15. North Melbourne: Same as Melbourne
16. GWS: Fairly steady, very surprising they have a larger membership base than the Lions
17. Brisbane: Really should have got a much bigger increase due to QLD hub, home crowds, and high ladder position
18. GC: Positive based on home crowds and some promising results

I dare say that most of these results are only slightly Covoid related. A lot of the decreases (and increases) were predetermined before the season started and COVID hit. I know in Port's case, the 5000 or so we are down were pretty much all caused by Hinkley fatigue and were down on the Feb/March period last year.

I dare say that most of these results are only slightly Covoid related. A lot of the decreases (and increases) were predetermined before the season started and COVID hit. I know in Port's case, the 5000 or so we are down were pretty much all caused by Hinkley fatigue and were down on the Feb/March period last year.

That's interesting. I was a bit surprised that Port's membership numbers didn't bounce all the way back up given how you guys have performed on the field - especially as home crowds were allowed to some degree.

I have been 5 times now and each time I have got a corporate package, around $3800.00 per package which includes flights, accommodation for 2 nights, match tickets and a lunch or breakfast or an after game event.
We normally stay an extra night or two so with spending money it can be a 5K plus weekend per head doing it this way.

Back