Play Nice Which club has the biggest supporter base? Collingwood, Richmond or West Coast?

Which club has the biggest supporter base?

• Total voters
Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have been 5 times now and each time I have got a corporate package, around $3800.00 per package which includes flights, accommodation for 2 nights, match tickets and a lunch or breakfast or an after game event.
We normally stay an extra night or two so with spending money it can be a 5K plus weekend per head doing it this way.

The Victorian Government loves you. Their corrupt MCG deal which costs each Victorian taxpayer only about 5 cents annually pays off big time.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
I have been 5 times now and each time I have got a corporate package, around $3800.00 per package which includes flights, accommodation for 2 nights, match tickets and a lunch or breakfast or an after game event.
We normally stay an extra night or two so with spending money it can be a 5K plus weekend per head doing it this way.
I guess though when you consider the big events of your life, $5k is an acceptable cost in seeing your team win a GF

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
I guess though when you consider the big events of your life, $5k is an acceptable cost in seeing your team win a GF

I have chosen to pay it so it's not like I didn't have a choice. Could of stayed home and watched. Have enjoyed every time I have been and it's a great event.
I have seen the Eagles win 2, Geelong win 1, Sydney win 1 and a draw. All been good games.
I have been to Augusta national for the US masters and that was a 14K plus cost.
The only thing i will say is that the AFL are scalping through corporate packages. Remove flights and accommodation and a corporate land package is around $1500. Thats a ticket to the game and a breakfast, lunch or post game event. Thats is scalping at its highest order because the face value for the ticket to the game is $250 and no event is put on in that weekend is worth more than $300 per head.
But again it's my choice.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
I have chosen to pay it so it's not like I didn't have a choice. Could of stayed home and watched. Have enjoyed every time I have been and it's a great event.
I have seen the Eagles win 2, Geelong win 1, Sydney win 1 and a draw. All been good games.
I have been to Augusta national for the US masters and that was a 14K plus cost.
The only thing i will say is that the AFL are scalping through corporate packages. Remove flights and accommodation and a corporate land package is around $1500. Thats a ticket to the game and a breakfast, lunch or post game event. Thats is scalping at its highest order because the face value for the ticket to the game is $250 and no event is put on in that weekend is worth more than $300 per head.
But again it's my choice.
Just on scalping, the first GF I attended - the famous 1989 GF - I paid $35 For a concession standing ticket with a face value of $8

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Speech by Menzies, 3rd September 1939...

Fellow Australians, it is my melancholy duty to inform you officially that, in consequence of the persistence of Germany in her invasion of Poland, Great Britain has declared war upon her, and that, as a result, Australia is also at war. No harder task can fall to the lot of a democratic leader than to make such an announcement. Great Britain and France, with the cooperation of the British Dominions, have struggled to avoid this tragedy. They have, as I firmly believe, been patient; they have kept the door of negotiation open; they have given no cause for aggression. But in the result their efforts have failed and we are, therefore, as a great family of nations, involved in a struggle which we must at all costs win, and which we believe in our hearts we will win ...

You really are battling Tige, YOU were bobbling along, failing to prosecute your suggestion that the 1941 & 1942 seasons were the same for Geelong. The war came to Australia at the end of May 1942 when Japanese midget subs raided Sydney Harbour, why dont you google it Tige?

;) BUT you are raising 1939, er hello.
Perhaps the war in Europe & the war in the Pacific hasnt been covered in your education*, but with the war coming to Australias back yard the Army expanded substantially early in 1942, peaking in August of that year. there was a bit happening between the 1941 & 1942 seasons.

* get your Mum to look in to a class action for its abject failure.

RiskingHead

Premium Platinum
Aug 2, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
The war came to Australia at the end of May 1942 when Japanese midget subs raided Sydney Harbour, why dont you google it Tige?

Perhaps the war in Europe & the war in the Pacific hasnt been covered in your education*, but with the war coming to Australias back yard with the Army expanded substantially early in 1942, peaking in August 1942.

Maybe you didn't hear about the bombing of Darwin in Feb 1942?

Kind of ironic you take potshots about using google and failures in education...

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Maybe you didn't hear about the bombing of Darwin in Feb 1942?

Kind of ironic you take potshots about using google and failures in education...

Sydney is back yard, so my choice for the purpose, the context of the post I replied to, being the difference between the 1941 & 1942 VFL seasons.

In isolation you comment is correct though not relevant.

RiskingHead

Premium Platinum
Aug 2, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Sydney is back yard, so my choice for the purpose, the context of the post I replied to, being the difference between the 1941 & 1942 VFL seasons.

In isolation you comment is correct though not relevant.

Poor old Darwinians...lacking relevance since 1942

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That's interesting. I was a bit surprised that Port's membership numbers didn't bounce all the way back up given how you guys have performed on the field - especially as home crowds were allowed to some degree.
Ticketing priority was based on membership categories.The categories with the top level priority are already pretty well sold out and those categories fill the amount of tickets available.

So there's no space for growth and no mid season bump in membership with GA membership sales.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
You really are battling Tige, YOU were bobbling along, failing to prosecute your suggestion that the 1941 & 1942 seasons were the same for Geelong. The war came to Australia at the end of May 1942 when Japanese midget subs raided Sydney Harbour, why dont you google it Tige?

Perhaps the war in Europe & the war in the Pacific hasnt been covered in your education*, but with the war coming to Australias back yard the Army expanded substantially early in 1942, peaking in August of that year. there was a bit happening between the 1941 & 1942 seasons.

I'm aware of Australia's war history but wouldn't you think if the Germans were defeated in 1939-40 that maybe, just maybe, the rest of WW2 might not have panned out the way it did? Do you think if the Axis powers were defeated by mid-1940 that Japan would sign up as allies of the Axis powers in September of that year? Do you think the Japanese would have attacked the British Empire in Singapore and other places in Asia if the the Allies had defeated Germany within a year?

Nov 20, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm aware of Australia's war history but wouldn't you think if the Germans were defeated in 1939-40 that maybe, just maybe, the rest of WW2 might not have panned out the way it did? Do you think if the Axis powers were defeated by mid-1940 that Japan would sign up as allies of the Axis powers in September of that year? Do you think the Japanese would have attacked the British Empire in Singapore and other places in Asia if the the Allies had defeated Germany within a year?
Who would of defeated Germany in 1939?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

The 1941/2 period in question is history, you said of the Geelong poster:
You went 3-15 and avoided the wooden spoon by % only in 1941. You withdrew from the comp in 1942 because... wait for it... your fans couldn’t travel easily to Melbourne for away games.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
You went 3-15 and avoided the wooden spoon by % only in 1941. You withdrew from the comp in 1942 because... wait for it... your fans couldn’t travel easily to Melbourne for away games.
It’s simple. No war in Europe probably means no war in the Pacific because the US don’t impose an oil embargo on Japan. Of course how this would all impact Japan’s expansion into Asia creates another whole set of hypotheticals.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
It’s simple. No war in Europe probably means no war in the Pacific because the US don’t impose an oil embargo on Japan. Of course how this would all impact Japan’s expansion into Asia creates another whole set of hypotheticals.

Came here to gloat about being the biggest club in the land. But instead seem to be reading a (fairly sketchy) revisionist account of WW2.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Congrats to Eagles for reaching 100k! It would be interesting what these numbers would be like if covid weren't a thing. There are also some substantial drops in membership. A bit of explanation for each:

1. West Coast: Solid increase due to getting crowds at home games
2. Richmond: Slight decrease despite no fans allowed at home games. I'd expect our membership to go up and push 110k if there was no covid
3. Collingwood: Significant drop off - some poor results might have contributed. Seems at odds with the Pies apparently being the biggest club
4. Hawthorn: Fair drop off - due to poor results
5. Carlton: Teague Train vol 2 causes an increase. The end of this season might influence how the numbers stack up next year
6. Essendon: Significant drop off - due to poor results even though they started the season well. This is a pretty awful showing by the Bombers
7. Geelong: Similar to other vic sides. A bit of a drop due to no home crowds
8. Adelaide: Entirely due to results considering they get home crowds. Fair weather supporters?
9. Fremantle: See West Coast home crowds
10. St Kilda: Positive on-field results
11. Sydney: Very disappointing drop off due to poor results. Interesting because they got some home crowds early on (I think)
12. Port Adelaide: Really surprising drop off given they have improved on-field and have gotten home crowds
13. Melbourne: No home crowds and drop off in form
14. Western Bulldogs: Same as Melbourne
15. North Melbourne: Same as Melbourne
16. GWS: Fairly steady, very surprising they have a larger membership base than the Lions
17. Brisbane: Really should have got a much bigger increase due to QLD hub, home crowds, and high ladder position
18. GC: Positive based on home crowds and some promising results
Just for accuracy of explanation. Essendon were at 66,500 in early March when COVID hit, +4% Vs same time in 2019 and tracking towards ~86K. It’s auto renewal rollovers are always lower than the likes of Richmond and West Coast and subsequently sells ~30K memberships between March and August as a result. I think the Eagles already had about 80K locked in by last Christmas as a comparison. COVID meant the expected 30K in sales didn’t transpire in 2020.

Maybe form cost it 2-3,000 but sales stopped in early March.

That’s the correct explanation just for clarity. Clearly it’s issue is getting the 20K back in 2021 based on on-field situation😄

Hopefully that clarifies it a bit and explains the huge drop off relative to other clubs.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Came here to gloat about being the biggest club in the land. But instead seem to be reading a (fairly sketchy) revisionist account of WW2.

It’s a rabbit-hole. No revisionist history, just playing through some hypotheticals.

On topic, great achievement by the Eagles.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
The only people who can "gloat" this year are the boys clubs of our favourite teams who have somehow taken our money and made us feel like we got something in return for it.

I have supported Berry Street for 10 years, once Richmond took my $750 and acted like it was a 'donation' to a 'worthy cause', I asked myself, "I love and care about this club, if im going to give them this money for nothing, then I can some find more to donate to 'another' charity i deeply believe in".

So now, I donate to Berry Street and WWF's Conservation programs monthly, all of it tax deductible.

Not telling anyone how to live their life and spend their money, I hope you don't take this offensively, but if you've got easy money to throw around to your fsvourite footy teams then you can spend 1/4 of that per year on a charitable you believe in.

People really need the support now more than ever.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Can we get off the WWII history thread and go back to talking about how much bigger West Coast is than Richmond?

A bees dick bigger if you're going by 400 more members.

But yeah seriously, who cares this year. Essendon gave their members all refunds, 2020 is hardly a year to boast about anything in regards to commercial successes in AFL. You should come down to Victoria and see how bad things are. Its actually really sad.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
A bees dick bigger if you're going by 400 more members.

But yeah seriously, who cares this year. Essendon gave their members all refunds, 2020 is hardly a year to boast about anything in regards to commercial successes in AFL. You should come down to Victoria and see how bad things are. Its actually really sad.

I agree and theAFL and it’s clubs should not be gloating about it either.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I agree and theAFL and it’s clubs should not be gloating about it either.

I thought they handled it pretty tastefully given they were effectively saying "look at how many of you paid for absolutely nothing this year".

Round 17 is member thank you day and the AFL + the clubs presented the membership data as being a show of gratitude.

Back