Play Nice Which club has the biggest supporter base? Collingwood, Richmond or West Coast?

Which club has the biggest supporter base?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It is Collingwood, it has always been Collingwood. Our supporters are feral ... until we start losing. To assume West Coast is to assume most West Australians follow West Coast, I doubt that, only this year have they topped 100k members and their supporters were allowed at matches. Collingwood supporters are all one-eyed, proud and turn up to games even when they are down. Through the years a lot of my mates have been proud and loud Magpie supporters, always a pain in the ass and the first ones to buy you a beer.
Utter baloney. West Coast has always been the biggest & from now on will always be the biggest (unless Carlton start winning and all their parasitic termites and half hearted maggots come out of the woodwork) now we have a stadium to accommodate more members.

Read it and weep.

91A9EE92-A920-40D9-9B77-83D7E6C5C524.jpeg

74F6C0FE-858D-4115-88A6-F6D666FAC54D.jpeg

🤣🤣

Utter baloney. West Coast has always been the biggest & from now on will always be the biggest (unless Carlton start winning and all their parasitic termites and half hearted maggots come out of the woodwork) now we have a stadium to accommodate more members.

Read it and weep.

View attachment 1014405

View attachment 1014406

🤣🤣
Doubt our membership Department are anything but chuffed with this result.
Tigers membership down less than 3% in a season when no Victorian member could attend games.

Eagles membership up 11% after getting the most talked about recruit in the off season.

Last edited:
Doubt our membership Department are anything but chuffed with this result.
Tigers membership down less than 3% in a season when no Victorian member could attend games.

Eagles membership up 11% after getting the most talked about recruit in the off season.
Jeez acting like such a sourpuss and just be happy with 2nd place. There’s no shame in being runners up to the mighty invaders from the west.

Jeez acting like such a sourpuss and just be happy with 2nd place. There’s no shame in being runners up to the mighty invaders from the west.
I’m not sour at all, just pointing out reasons for the changes.
Eagles have the most members and gratz to them. They may stay on top, probably should, being one of only two AFL teams from a state of 2.6M.
May want to kick the habit of losing late season home games though, just to be sure!

I’m not sour at all, just pointing out reasons for the changes.
Eagles have the most members and gratz to them. They may stay on top, probably should, being one of only two AFL teams from a state of 2.6M.
May want to kick the habit of losing late season home games though, just to be sure!
Awww.

575086FA-5A0C-4E35-B043-C6F1B0DCC9B8.jpeg

Fans jumping off because of a few losses must be such a Richmondy thing to do hence your haste to bring it up. 🙂

Thread is hilarious.

West Coast are a juggernaut in a footy state with one other newish side to compete with.

The Tigers and Pies compete in a state with 10 sides total, the fight for market share is much harder.

Its not complicated, do the maths of teams by population of the footy states. It'd be like Collingwood and Richmond being the only teams I Victoria.

If NSW ever become an AFL dominant state the Swans would dwarf any other team. Same principle.

Simple supply and demand, duopoly vs oligopoly.

Read it and weep.

View attachment 1014405

View attachment 1014406

🤣🤣
You know that the pet memberships don't count towards the actual tallies you posted above right??

Thread is hilarious.

West Coast are a juggernaut in a footy state with one other newish side to compete with.

The Tigers and Pies compete in a state with 10 sides total, the fight for market share is much harder.

Its not complicated, do the maths of teams by population of the footy states. It'd be like Collingwood and Richmond being the only teams I Victoria.

If NSW ever become an AFL dominant state the Swans would dwarf any other team. Same principle.

Simple supply and demand, duopoly vs oligopoly.
I ran the numbers to see how each team stacks up when it's weighted for state population and number of teams per state. The 2 main assumptions are that you only support a team in your home state, and that numbers from Tasmania, NT, and ACT aren't included. It's not perfect, but it's a good comparative exercise. It also doesn't help the NSW and QLD teams that have competition from rugby.

For example, Victoria has a 2020 population of about 6.49 million. If every person was a member of 1 of the 10 Vic clubs, than you'd expect each Vic club to have a membership of 649,000 (membership market / market share). Obviously this isn't realistic because not everyone likes footy or is a member, but you can use this number to work out how teams are going in relation to ones in other states. For example, WA has a 2020 population of 2.76 million, so their membership market for the Eagles and Dockers is 1.38 million each.

When you account for each team's membership market in each state, and divide each team's official (which don't include pet memberships) member numbers by that market share, this is what you get:

Team2020 Members% of Expected State Mobilized
Tigers100,42015.47
Pies76,86211.84
Hawks76,34311.76
Blues67,03510.33
Bombers66,68610.28
Cats66,06610.18
Saints48,5887.49
Eagles100,7767.30
Crows54,8916.31
Demons40,5716.25
Dogs38,8765.99
Roos38,6675.96
Power46,8205.38
Dockers51,5773.74
Swans48,3221.19
Lions29,2771.15
Giants30,8410.76
Suns16,2360.64

The last column shows how well each team does in mobilizing their percentage of their state population that could support their team to become members.

Using the Tigers as an example, they were able to get 15.47% of their 649,000 expected market share to become Tiger members, the highest of any club.

It will always be impossible to nail down exactly who has the most 'fans'.

For instance whilst living in QLD for 8 years I genuinely encountered just as many 'actual' Collingwood fans as I did 'actual' Lions fans and just behind those two a load of Richmond and Essendon fans at pubs and local games around the place. (I say 'actual' as in the people who watch them week in week out, not jump on when they're going alright as Queenslanders love to do with their sports teams)

As WA's population grows rapidly though I'd suspect the Eagles will probably be the undoubted most supported club in the comp by 2030.

The thing is in WA Perth is clearly mostly an Eagles town however the Dockers are well supported and its very common to see people in multiple Vic clubs merch walking around, but when you get out in the regional places the skew of the percentage of AFL fans goes even further in the Eagles direction.
I'd even go so far as to say the say regional Eagles fans are even more voracious in their support of the team.

Last edited:
Tigers trying to deny facts with excuses.
hmmmm i probs wouldnt go that far, I mean as it stands now they're very much in the conversation, there are Tigers fans scattered everywhere, just as there are Pies fans scattered everywhere(particularly, qld, tassie and southern nsw)......But yeah soon enough I think the Eagles will be a clear number 1 if they aren't already

Hard to compare:
  1. Lemons - Victoria = many team town, big population and small state so an easy drive for country supporters, access to MCG & 100K seats; and
  2. Strawberries - WA = 2 team town (even more skewed by one being Freo), but massive state (try driving from Bremer Bay for a game) and an Optus with only 60K seats.
But let's be honest, to get a true indication of "real supporters" numbers, it is the average member attendance when a team is rubbish.

As a WC Coast foundation member, I can recall on many occasions trying (and sometimes failing) to fill my five seats for free when we struggled.

Never had this issue when we are flying.

Guarantee we only have 35 to 45,000 died in the wool supporters (not including isolated country supporters that would love to come in good and bad times and interstaters).

Still, suspect this is better than most and certainly better than Collingwood after the Stephenson, Trealor, Phillips debacle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to compare:
  1. Lemons - Victoria = many team town, big population and small state so an easy drive for country supporters, access to MCG & 100K seats; and
  2. Strawberries - WA = 2 team town (even more skewed by one being Freo), but massive state (try driving from Bremer Bay for a game) and an Optus with only 60K seats.
But let's be honest, to get a true indication of "real supporters" numbers, it is the average member attendance when a team is rubbish.

As a WC Coast foundation member, I can recall on many occasions trying (and sometimes failing) to fill my five seats for free when we struggled.

Never had this issue when we are flying.

Guarantee we only have 35 to 45,000 died in the wool supporters (not including isolated country supporters that would love to come in good and bad times and interstaters).

Still, suspect this is better than most and certainly better than Collingwood after the Stephenson, Trealor, Phillips debacle.
Hmmm decent point. I remember recently watching the highlights of the eagles v carlton game in 2010. Subi is full and the crowd is going off, that was the year we got the spoon and sucked hardcore.

I ran the numbers to see how each team stacks up when it's weighted for state population and number of teams per state. The 2 main assumptions are that you only support a team in your home state, and that numbers from Tasmania, NT, and ACT aren't included. It's not perfect, but it's a good comparative exercise. It also doesn't help the NSW and QLD teams that have competition from rugby.

For example, Victoria has a 2020 population of about 6.49 million. If every person was a member of 1 of the 10 Vic clubs, than you'd expect each Vic club to have a membership of 649,000 (membership market / market share). Obviously this isn't realistic because not everyone likes footy or is a member, but you can use this number to work out how teams are going in relation to ones in other states. For example, WA has a 2020 population of 2.76 million, so their membership market for the Eagles and Dockers is 1.38 million each.

When you account for each team's membership market in each state, and divide each team's official (which don't include pet memberships) member numbers by that market share, this is what you get:

Team2020 Members% of Expected State Mobilized
Tigers100,42015.47
Pies76,86211.84
Hawks76,34311.76
Blues67,03510.33
Bombers66,68610.28
Cats66,06610.18
Saints48,5887.49
Eagles100,7767.30
Crows54,8916.31
Demons40,5716.25
Dogs38,8765.99
Roos38,6675.96
Power46,8205.38
Dockers51,5773.74
Swans48,3221.19
Lions29,2771.15
Giants30,8410.76
Suns16,2360.64

The last column shows how well each team does in mobilizing their percentage of their state population that could support their team to become members.

Using the Tigers as an example, they were able to get 15.47% of their 649,000 expected market share to become Tiger members, the highest of any club.

People use statistics in the same manner that a drunk uses a lamp post,
for support rather than illumination.

The thread poll and the actual membership numbers speak for themselves.

The poll with a sample size of less than 300 people? :$

Roy Morgan polls have more credibility than any other yardstick whether it be memberships, home game attendances, blah blah blah.

Roy Morgan polls show that Collingwood have more supporters than Richmond and West Coast, plain and simple. Facts.

Roy Morgan polls have more credibility than any other yardstick whether it be memberships, home game attendances, blah blah blah.

Roy Morgan polls show that Collingwood have more supporters than Richmond and West Coast, plain and simple. Facts.

Thanks for your post Roy.

Feed me more of your insecurity please. Collingwood isn't even the biggest club in your own state anymore.

Feed me more of your insecurity please. Collingwood isn't even the biggest club in your own state anymore.
It’s actually hard to pin point when they actually were the biggest isn’t it?
Richmond obviously have always been huge as with Carlton & Essendon hence the big 4 theory.

To say who is the biggest out of that is impossible to say until all 4 are actively competing again.

The undeniable fact right now tho is West Coast have the most paid up members & with a waiting line as long as the Nullabor to join the club it shows the Eagles to be the biggest supporter base and most preferred club to be a part of in the comp.

Back