Analysis Which club has the greatest home ground advantage?

Which team has the greatest home ground advantage?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The WA and SA teams have an undoubted advantage .To me this is fair enough as they have to travel.My choice is Geelong and Kardinia Park, I totally agree with this article from 'The Roar' from 2015 https://www.theroar.com.au/2015/04/11/kardinia-park-the-biggest-advantge-in-the-afl/

But how can Kardinia park be a bigger advantage than having the MCG as a home ground? Both play interstate and Geelong have to travel to Melbourne like Melbourne clubs have to travel to Geelong. Unless they're very special

north and blundstone arena with that swirling wind comes into consideration. would be top 4 if they played all their home games there.
beat premiers west coast this year.
destroyed adelaide 64-0 in the first quarter when we were flying last year.

north and blundstone arena with that swirling wind comes into consideration. would be top 4 if they played all their home games there.
beat premiers west coast this year.
destroyed adelaide 64-0 in the first quarter when we were flying last year.
Naaah

We weren't good enough this year, but last year no problem. It was odd sitting in the stands in 2017 on a gorgeous sunny day of around 23° with a light breeze, reading all the talk of the wind on BF.

Last year wind was a factor, but the job for us was to control the ball into the wind in the 3rd QTR, and we got smashed in the contest around the clearances.

North played one if the best QTR's of footy I've seen against you in that 1st QTR.

But how can Kardinia park be a bigger advantage than having the MCG as a home ground? Both play interstate and Geelong have to travel to Melbourne like Melbourne clubs have to travel to Geelong. Unless they're very special
Ok reasons Kardinia Park is the greatest home ground advantage are 1/ You train on the ground 2/It's 95% Geelong supporters because you wont let oppo fans in 3/The ground has unusual dimesions and local knowledge needed for goalkicking due to the wind 4/Most players are unfamiliar with the ground and would play there only once every 2 years.5/ You're given all the advantages of an interstate club yet are 45 mins from Melbourne.There is no travel between geelong and melbourne, it's called a short drive.Like I said earlier, you played 8 games at the G last year plus 9 at Kardinia, the G is basically your second home ground and all the players know it like the back of there hand.If you can't win finals there it's because the easy Kardinia Park wins put you higher on the ladder than you should be.The poll results show what most punters think.It's also not good for the club as these easy games at KP mean you will never finish lower than 12th and therefore you wont get any high draft picks.

Ok reasons Kardinia Park is the greatest home ground advantage are 1/ You train on the ground 2/It's 95% Geelong supporters because you wont let oppo fans in 3/The ground has unusual dimesions and local knowledge needed for goalkicking due to the wind 4/Most players are unfamiliar with the ground and would play there only once every 2 years.5/ You're given all the advantages of an interstate club yet are 45 mins from Melbourne.There is no travel between geelong and melbourne, it's called a short drive.Like I said earlier, you played 8 games at the G last year plus 9 at Kardinia, the G is basically your second home ground and all the players know it like the back of there hand.If you can't win finals there it's because the easy Kardinia Park wins put you higher on the ladder than you should be.The poll results show what most punters think.It's also not good for the club as these easy games at KP mean you will never finish lower than 12th and therefore you wont get any high draft picks.

All very weak arguments really. Every home ground has different dimensions, not to mention did you watch the Richmond vs Geelong final? It was our home game and the crowd was a sea of Tigers supporters. Kardinia Park only has 40k seats, hardly enough to overwhelm a team like Richmond did.

All very weak arguments really. Every home ground has different dimensions, not to mention did you watch the Richmond vs Geelong final? It was our home game and the crowd was a sea of Tigers supporters. Kardinia Park only has 40k seats, hardly enough to overwhelm a team like Richmond did.
Well it seems a general consensus on bigfooty anyway, happy festivas

Well that's the club's fault for demanding 9 Kardinia games.Eight games at the MCG is plenty of games to get used to the ground.You have about 10 players who have played over 50 games there! The MCG is basically your second home ground ffs.

How ridiculous that Geelong wishes to play as many games as possible in Geelong instead of a different city.

Its utterly disgusting how self centred and entitled Melbourne based fans are.

How ridiculous that Geelong wishes to play as many games as possible in Geelong instead of a different city.

I dont believe they do though. Their BF supporters do but that's not the same thing. If their club wants to play 11 games in Geelong they should be allowed to though.

Interstate clubs are all envious of them having a home ground and plenty of games at the G.

Hawthorn's record in Launceston in pretty good.

31W-1D-3L since 2010 including 19W in a row.

Yeah and the funny thing is that I have never thought that we play the ground all that well. I’m not sure if the often windy conditions are to blame but I could count on one hand the games that I could honestly say are even close to enjoyingly memorable. The win loss record looks impressive but when you look at who we are usually scheduled to play down there it is hardly surprising. Since 2011 Hawthorns winning ratio is pretty damn impressive at most grounds around the country anyway.

If your home ground is the MCG, and you play most of your games there including long stretches of games heading into finals, that undoubtedly confers the biggest advantage as far as home grounds go. You get more practice than anyone playing on the ground where your finals, including the grand final should you make it, will be played. Take Collingwood in 2010. They built tremendous form in the back half of the year, when they played 10 consecutive games (including finals, 7 prior to) at the MCG.

That’s well and good if you have a great team other wise you can just run into a string of “ Showdowns “ Collingwood, Richmond , Hawthorn , Essendon etc and get bashed up.

I’d say for consistent advantage would be Perth then Adelaide .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has to be Geelong when you factor in dimensions and crowd %.

Would like to know the stats on how many out on the fulls teams kick at Kardinia compared to their normal average.
:rolleyes:Goes up even more for us when Heater takes the kick-ins. He needs no encouragement.

Naaah

We weren't good enough this year, but last year no problem. It was odd sitting in the stands in 2017 on a gorgeous sunny day of around 23° with a light breeze, reading all the talk of the wind on BF.

Last year wind was a factor, but the job for us was to control the ball into the wind in the 3rd QTR, and we got smashed in the contest around the clearances.

North played one if the best QTR's of footy I've seen against you in that 1st QTR.

I recall our first game down there, your third or fourth in existence. Smashed you, apart from ten minutes when a very young Jeremy Cameron kicked four on the trot.

It is amazing how much West Coast fans sook given they have one of the richest and most successful teams.

Geeze, for the vast majority of the population it is tiring to hear the Melbourne centric ego banging on. Geelong are not part of Melbourne. It takes about as long to get to a Melbourne game from Geelong as it does to fly from Sydney or Adelaide.

Can't wait for 2050 when the rest of the country has a chance to break from that ridiculous Victorian political coup to shore the GF up there - so I will hope for a breakaway league instead.

More so, it is your fear of losing to us there if you were rightly made to play there that worries you. Not some home ground advantage special to Geeling - Richmond are clearly crap on the road against everyone.

We may have the best home ground advantage, but it's better than artificially tampering with the draw to give battler clubs like the Tigers a leg up.

Geeze, for the vast majority of the population it is tiring to hear the Melbourne centric ego banging on. Geelong are not part of Melbourne. It takes about as long to get to a Melbourne game from Geelong as it does to fly from Sydney or Adelaide.

This is so disingenuous

as a Crows supporter living in Melbourne, its infinitely easier to get to Kardinia Park than Adelaide Oval - to try to put them on some kind of parallel is intellectually dishonest

Can't wait for 2050 when the rest of the country has a chance to break from that ridiculous Victorian political coup to shore the GF up there - so I will hope for a breakaway league instead.

More so, it is your fear of losing to us there if you were rightly made to play there that worries you. Not some home ground advantage special to Geeling - Richmond are clearly crap on the road against everyone.

We may have the best home ground advantage, but it's better than artificially tampering with the draw to give battler clubs like the Tigers a leg up.
This is just wrong

An hour by train is no way comparable to a one hour flight. For me it's 2 hours getting to the airport, checked in and through security. I dont liike to rush but 90 mins would be pushing it. Around 45 mins at the other end getting to a hotel.

I choose a 4 hour train ride to Canberra because it's more relaxed and maybe a little bit longer.

It takes about as long to get to Geelong as it does most other outer suburbs.

It takes about as long to get to Geelong as it does most other outer suburbs.
So, it still doesn't make it Melbourne, or provide any rational argument as to why Melbourne egos think they have the right to tell the club where they should play and what is good for them.

It really is the height of arrogance.

Back