Analysis Which club has the greatest home ground advantage?

Which team has the greatest home ground advantage?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol. You're embarrassing. And anyone else believing this rubbish too.

The thing is, our home ground has never even been brought up in the past until we kept proving those who has written us off year after year, wrong. :)

It's actually quite hilarious to be honest.
It's quite simple to work out. Home game vs home ground, at your home ground Geelong, you have a significantly bigger advantage against the away team, who rarely plays there, than Richmond who might get a home game, home ground against Melbourne at the MCG for example.

Where Geelong get shafted is that they only get 7 home games at their actual home ground, but the ground itself is the biggest advantage in the league.

Far out it's not complicated or hard to work out, I'm not sure how much simpler I can spell it out.

It's quite simple to work out. Home game vs home ground, at your home ground Geelong, you have a significantly bigger advantage against the away team, who rarely plays there, than Richmond who might get a home game, home ground against Melbourne at the MCG for example.

Where Geelong get shafted is that they only get 7 home games at their actual home ground, but the ground itself is the biggest advantage in the league.

Far out it's not complicated or hard to work out, I'm not sure how much simpler I can spell it out.
That's even more embarrassing.

What's embarrassing is when you claim 16 AFL/VFL premierships when 7 occurred in VFA

I think a trip to Perth is clearly hardest for the Melbourne clubs, versus the Eagles.

That's even more embarrassing.
Geelong is significantly different dimensions to every other ground, making it the most unique ground in terms of dimensions compared to the rest. It's narrow and long, effectively reducing the ability to switch, play the wings and forces narrower offensive play. It's one of the only grounds where a gamestyle is significantly affected.

Also, the fact that opposition teams might only play there every other year, unlike an MCG where teams will play every year, often multiple times, it's incredibly hard for opposition teams to gain experience and familiarity with the ground, again an advantage to Geelong if a visiting team has played once there in 4 years.

Geelong in Victoria, also are the only team with a standalone ground, so both the above points are magnified, and against any other Victorian team you have this advantage.

As I said, where Geelong get shafted is in how many games they are allocated in Geelong, which is less than other teams, but the ground itself is a bigger advantage than any other team. I assume the 42% of other voters understand these basics ideas, but I can't help you if you don't.

Where was this thread a dozen years ago when we'd routinely be thrashed by the likes of Brisbane and Port Adelaide on our home turf?

Good side is hard to beat on their home deck. Wow, stop the presses.

Where was this thread a dozen years ago when we'd routinely be thrashed by the likes of Brisbane and Port Adelaide on our home turf?

Personally I look forward to the day when routinely do the same. :cool:Maybe this year.

Home grounds are advatanges, not guarantees. If you suck you suck, and if you rock you rock. Geelong 07 it doesn't matter if they played their games out of Cairns, they were that good.

They probably have the biggest impact when the team is the between the 3rd-12th best team in the league, the added advantage can give a few more wins.

Home grounds are advatanges, not guarantees. If you suck you suck, and if you rock you rock. Geelong 07 it doesn't matter if they played their games out of Cairns, they were that good.

They probably have the biggest impact when the team is the between the 3rd-12th best team in the league, the added advantage can give a few more wins.
You only need to think back the last couple of years with Richmond who get 15 games at their home deck and struggle to win anywhere else.

They get 15 games there, but it's often a neutral ground though playing most of the other Melbourne based teams.
The dimensions of the ground suit your game perfectly. It's the biggest advantage in the league. :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane at the Gabba.
So hard to beat there whenever they're a good side as it's tough for travelling sides to adjust to the warmer, more humid conditions.
The Gabba is a hard fast deck too and it's tough for sides to adjust when they're used to playing on softer slower decks.

Must be a heck of an advantage for Collingwood and Carlton to never have to play there!
3 of the last 6 games between Geelong and Carlton have been at KP.

Richmond haven't played there since 2017.

Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond, Essendon. They all need to be scheduled to play there once a year for the next 20 years to balance out the ledger.
I agree. It's absolute crap they don't.

Cats - a weirdly shaped ground they get to train at and play at which no other team gets regular exposure to.

In modern footy the way a team sets up defensively and manages space is everything. Each player would know the exact distance they need to be from every other player, where to run to fill a hole, how to exit defence using the width of a ground, when to transition play to the outer side and so on ….

All this is thrown out the window at kitty litter park. It’s why games down there so often make for horrible viewing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Brisbane at the Gabba.
So hard to beat there whenever they're a good side as it's tough for travelling sides to adjust to the warmer, more humid conditions.
The Gabba is a hard fast deck too and it's tough for sides to adjust when they're used to playing on softer slower decks.
Don't forget the dew at night!

Back