LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
Isn't a non-reciprocated rivalry just referred to as a bunny by the media these days? Outside the manufactured Q-Clash I don't think we have any specific rivalries, and even then I don't consider that a proper rivalry because we're comfortably leading the total wins in that one. Our current bunny now we've got Richmond's measure seems to be Melbourne. And maybe the doggies + umpires combo.

On that note, how's the irony of the AFL wanting to build the code in a rugby dominated state and its best strategy to do so was to pit QLD club fans against each other instead of binding together for the common good.

The AFL's decision to create the suns was your typical 'boss knows better' situations. Only the cash from broadcasting a "Q clash" mattered. However having said that I do not want the suns to exist. Qld has a team already.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Does a rivalry exist if it is not reciprocated? I dont think we have any rivals as I doubt Port and Pies care about us as much as we care about them. I think the Suns could eventually become our rivals if they ever get good. Its a shame because GWS and Swans have a genuine rivalry building based on their geography, player trades and finals meet ups. Wish the Suns would lift their game. Would become instant rivals if they ever knocked us out of the finals
I can say with confidence the Lions/Power rivalry definitely runs two ways with Power and Lions supporters hating each other equally.

If the Lions and Power both finish near the top of the ladder again next year and both meet in a big final, such as a qualifying final or preliminary final then everyone will see that rivalry not only well and truly reignited, but the fact it runs both ways and is a real rivalry for both Lions and Power fans alike.

____

Sep 1, 2009
South of Brisbane, North of Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Everton
I can say with confidence the Lions/Power rivalry definitely runs two ways with Power and Lions supporters hating each other equally.

If the Lions and Power both finish near the top of the ladder again next year and both meet in a big final, such as a qualifying final or preliminary final then everyone will see that rivalry not only well and truly reignited, but the fact it runs both ways and is a real rivalry for both Lions and Power fans alike.
It was a shame that we and they choked in the 2020 prelims. I want nothing more than to beat Port Adelaide in a Grand Final.

BuntonRules

long term substance abuser
Dec 30, 2008
in front of the telly
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Whitsunday SeaEagles
Just got back from a weekend in SA. My old man is a Power foundation member. Not just him, but generally there is a sore spot the Lions rub.

2001 - 4. The Power won 3 minor premierships, and 1 flag. We won 3 flags. The fact they beat us to win their flag (still get reminded about that) included, how could a genuine rivalry not grow?

F**k Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad