King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Interesting to see which club Brisbane fans view as being their biggest rival and why.

Glad to see I'm not the only person saying Collingwood.
I reckon Richmond is the next big one. I really do not like that club, They really don't like us and after a long time of being their bunnies I can see them reacting very poorly if we get on top for a few games.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
A hard question since we have, until recently, been very s**t and therefore every other club pencilled us in as an easy "w" for the ledger so my animosity tended to be at every club.

A hard question since we have, until recently, been very sh*t and therefore every other club pencilled us in as an easy "w" for the ledger so my animosity tended to be at every club.

I might be oversensitive here but we've been a top 4 for the last three years.
We were god awful for over a decade prior but recently we've been very good and a pleasure to support.

We were god awful for over a decade prior but recently we've been very good and a pleasure to support.

I'm willing to back him on three years being "recently".

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women

Yes you are being overly sensitive since I said "until recently". Your post is weird.

As a merged entity, I think it has to be Collingwood for a range of reasons, including:

- 2 grand finals
- Beams
- fan numbers in Brisbane (and so the potential for something closer to a 50/50 crowd at the Gabba)
- the "anyone but Collingwood" factor

Looking back to pre-merger days, you then have the Buckley animosity for Bears fans and then I also understand that there's the historical rivalry between Fitzroy and Collingwood.

I get that we almost certainly aren't Collingwood's greatest rival. And I think that's reflective of the reality that we have never been a "big club" and so Collingwood are likely to have greater rivalries either through history and/or size with the likes of Carlton or Richmond. But I think Collingwood can be our biggest rival without the reverse being true.

I sense a general and shared tension between Brisbane and Port. Port came in roughly at the same time as the merged entity. We then had that period in the early 2000s where we were both routinely in the top 4. We won more flags, but they have the satisfaction of beating us in 2004. And we've both now had a few good years both challenging at the top. It makes for a good rivalry, without being particularly hate-filled.

And then the Gold Coast is an emerging rivalry, albeit that there's a lot of Qld based supporters on both sides who probably view the other team with a degree of fondness - I think there's an element of "what's good for Qld footy" there. Despite that, and I know it hasn't happened often, losing to the Suns has hurt a bit more than a normal loss, I think, on the occasions it has happened. I think if both clubs were strong, there would be a really strong competitive tension between the local rivals, if never to the scale of a Derby or Showdown. I don't think Lions supporters would like it if the little brother beat us up! The losses we've suffered to date have been more justifiable in a general feeling that the Lions were shithouse at the time, as opposed to any sense of true rivalry. But losing a final to them, for example, might sting a bit more than a normal loss!

The Zork

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think you can feel a bit more heat and spite in the Richmond games onfield these last few years.
The Tom Lynch incident springs to mind.

They used to slap us around every game, now we’ve started to turn it around.
Their fans genuinely don’t like us being successful and are the first to let us know about it after we lose.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The Tigers games of late have certainly been heated,the fans have a natural hatred for one of the teams that have supplanted them at the top

Is there a history between the Roys and the Tigers?

wantok

All Australian
Jan 3, 2012
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I feel Richmond has supplanted Collingwood for me. Collingwood was about Buckley and his disdain and Eddie shafting us at every opportunity starting with Nic Riewoldt being stolen. Now with heavy heart as an old Tiger before the Bears I just can't cop the arrogance of Richmond and our lack of success against them. The Coach, Jack Riewoldt and the treachery of Lynch in shafting the Gold Coast as Captain. I can't think of a more distasteful bunch.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

For me, a rivalry has to be mutual, with both sets of fans detesting each other.

For me, as much as I detest Collingwood, they don’t recognise us as a genuine rival.

Therefore, we don’t have one.
That is where I think that over the last few years there has been a building rivalry between both us and the Cats and us with Richmond. Both are slowly becoming more intense.

pauldrc

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner Brisbane Lions - Charlie Cameron Player Sponsor 2020 Dream Team Club Board Winner Brisbane Lions - Charlie Cameron Player Sponsor 2019 Brisbane Lions - Hugh McCluggage Player Sponsor 2018 Brisbane Lions - Hugh McCluggage Player Sponsor 2017 Brisbane Lions - Allen Christensen Player Sponsor 2016 Brisbane Lions - Dayne Beams Player Sponsor 2015 Brisbane Lions - Pearce Hanley Player Sponsor 2014 Brisbane Lions - 2013 Elliot Yeo Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - 2013 Daniel Rich Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Brisbane 2010 Player Sponsor
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GC Suns
Our rivalry:tm: is with Sydney, remember?

Wait....

Now I'm confused - I thought it was with the GC???

(well that's what the AFL tells us anyways....)

Back