Opinion Which club is Essendon's biggest rival?

Essendon's biggest rival?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a child of the 80s so it's a rivalry that is very real for me, but it isn't steeped in hatred like that with Carlton nor the tradition of the Collingwood rivalry.

I couldn't split Collingwood and Hawthorn and have since updated my other post to better reflect this.
I'm not but I still despise Hawthorn

I'm not but I still despise Hawthorn

I started barracking for the Dons in 1983 so it was a baptism of Hawthorn for me. I respect Hawthorn as a club with regard to what they had in the 70s/80s, and how they've rebuilt since they almost folded. That and I envy their success since I started following the Dons. Don't mistake respect with me liking them though, as I firmly don't and would love nothing more than being able to consistently beat them again.

I started barracking for the Dons in 1983 so it was a baptism of Hawthorn for me. I respect Hawthorn as a club with regard to what they had in the 70s/80s, and how they've rebuilt since they almost folded. That and I envy their success since I started following the Dons. Don't mistake respect with me liking them though, as I firmly don't and would love nothing more than being able to consistently beat them again.
How can you respect a club that voted to not exist?

I said
I respect Hawthorn as a club with regard to what they had in the 70s/80s, and how they've rebuilt since they almost folded

I'm not going to paint all their supporters with the same brush as they would've folded if they all voted to fold. They survived. And what they've built since is pretty damn impressive. I respect that.

Can I change my mind?

Hawthorn; because of this (the violent history between us ... ).
Duckworth said: "Bryan probably wasn't the bloke to chase him. If it had been Ronnie Andrews or Roger Merrett, they would've killed him. Bryan did what he had to do, but he didn't have the s**t in him like Ronnie. Imagine if someone did that to a Hawthorn player, what Leigh Matthews would have done. He would've killed him, too."

Carlton, maybe equally, until we win #17, and they slide away like the irrelevant toilet deodorisers they are ...

Sorry to intrude but just clearing something up. Melbourne were the team that voted in favour of the merger, Hawthorn supporters voted firmly against it and if it wasn't for this and Don Scott etc we would be the Melbourne Hawks.

As for the topic, Carlton overwhelming isn't surprising, a couple of close mates of mine who support Essendon hate both us and Carlton but Carlton just that little bit more.

I am happy to see Eth-Dog flying the flag though, there's 2 posters I've come across in my time on Bigfooty that I can see genuinely despise everything to do with Hawthorn and that's my main man Eth-dog and Bobby_ of the Geelong variety.

Interesting with the reaction to the North rivalry with you guys (if there is even one). I've come across a few North posters on here claiming there is a rivalry between them and us too and I just can't see it. I guess the grand finals in the 70's between the 2 clubs makes some sense but I see North as nothing but a small club that you kinda feel sorry for at times. Strange group of supporters that mob, I guess they need to find relevance somehow.

Also just quietly, I'm actually pretty stoked that we finally play you guys twice in a season again, about time!

Sorry to intrude but just clearing something up. Melbourne were the team that voted in favour of the merger, Hawthorn supporters voted firmly against it and if it wasn't for this and Don Scott etc we would be the Melbourne Hawks.

As for the topic, Carlton overwhelming isn't surprising, a couple of close mates of mine who support Essendon hate both us and Carlton but Carlton just that little bit more.

I am happy to see Eth-Dog flying the flag though, there's 2 posters I've come across in my time on Bigfooty that I can see genuinely despise everything to do with Hawthorn and that's my main man Eth-dog and Bobby_ of the Geelong variety.

Interesting with the reaction to the North rivalry with you guys (if there is even one). I've come across a few North posters on here claiming there is a rivalry between them and us too and I just can't see it. I guess the grand finals in the 70's between the 2 clubs makes some sense but I see North as nothing but a small club that you kinda feel sorry for at times. Strange group of supporters that mob, I guess they need to find relevance somehow.

Also just quietly, I'm actually pretty stoked that we finally play you guys twice in a season again, about time!
There was still a fair chunk of hawk fans that voted yes.

I live in Glen Iris, Hawthorn heartland. I can't help but hate you blokes. I'm sure you'd feel the same if you lived in Pascoe Vale or somewhere near Essendon.

Geez, Hawkas- I reckon you're underestimating the disdain a few other Cats types have for your mob.

I've always said this- historically there can be only one club Essendon can really consider as its greatest rival, and that is Carlton. But, they're rubbish at present, so the hatred probably loses just the teeniest, tiniest edge off it for me. The minute they get successful, though...

Hawthorn are ******* good and I hate them for it. But respect them, grudgingly.

Absolutely agreed, it was about time we doubled up again. Both at the MCG too, is this real life?

I live in Glen Iris, Hawthorn heartland. I can't help but hate you blokes. I'm sure you'd feel the same if you lived in Pascoe Vale or somewhere near Essendon.
You want heartland, see my location. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez, Hawkas- I reckon you're underestimating the disdain a few other Cats types have for your mob.

I've always said this- historically there can be only one club Essendon can really consider as its greatest rival, and that is Carlton. But, they're rubbish at present, so the hatred probably loses just the teeniest, tiniest edge off it for me. The minute they get successful.

Absolutely agreed, it was about time we doubled up again. Both at the MCG too, is this real life?

You want heartland, see my location. :)
Pascoe Vale is next door to Essendon. Trust me, I know, my grandmother used to live in Strathmore

Yeh that's understandable especially with the 2 clubs supporter bases being not the biggest fans of each other.

I live in Vermont so there's no real supporter dominance. Very mixed area and amongst my mates.

Yeh that's understandable especially with the 2 clubs supporter bases being not the biggest fans of each other.

I live in Vermont so there's no real supporter dominance. Very mixed area and amongst my mates.
I like Vermont. I had a really good basketball record against them, averaged 8 points or something similar against them.

But yeah, it's always been:

Carlton
Hawthorn
Daylight
More Daylight
Collingwood
More Daylight
Richmond

For me.

Haha that's a fair call! I could think of many others, I guess those 2 have just stuck out. Many Swans and Cats posters on here are very clear with their distaste of Hawthorn haha. I can clearly see though there are a few regular Hawk posters that would standout in the reverse too.

I've always said this- historically there can be only one club Essendon can really consider as its greatest rival, and that is Carlton. But, they're rubbish at present, so the hatred probably loses just the teeniest, tiniest edge off it for me. The minute they get successful, though...

Yeah I reckon that's right, your sides have kinda mirrored each other a bit lately too whereas we've been up for a bit now and your mob have been about middle and when you guys were up late 90's early 2000's we were a fair rabble besides 01. So that has made it more difficult for the Bombers/Hawks rivalry to stay as heated.

I was born in 88 (probably obvious with my username haha) so I missed the Essendon rivalry. Funny thing was I remember around 94 or so when I first started really getting into footy I kinda liked you guys as like a 2nd or 3rd team. I think soon as my old man realised this he made sure he stamped it out of me and gave me a bit of a history lesson haha and then I started going to games regularly and all I remember was loss after loss after loss against the Bombers from like 97-05 or whatever it was. That helped me hate you guys and then I guess you just realise the history of the club you love and work out who the genuine rivals are and whatnot.

I must admit I probably hate Geelong more and get more enjoyment out of them losing purely because of the rivalry that's developed in the last 6-7 years. If the Bombers and Hawks were up at the same time that may be very different, BigFooty makes it easier to really hate the cats more though.

Absolutely agreed, it was about time we doubled up again. Both at the MCG too, is this real life

Oh mate shocked haha, when I heard we had you guys twice I was stoked (great atmosphere at these games) but I suspected only 1 would be at the G but when I heard both games were there I couldn't believe it. I still don't know how we won round 2 this year, probably just experience and Burgoyne, I was sitting next to a couple of random bomber supporters and got along with them the whole game, I remember saying we didn't deserve the win and hardly even celebrated on the siren, just shocked really. Hopefully another 2 crackers next year as I said the atmosphere is usually so heated and a lot of fun to go to!

eth-dog what does Doss know about your grandma? Sounds a bit messed up.
I know nothing of Eth's grandma. But I am well aware that Pascoe Vale is close to Essendon, I've lived my entire life in the northern suburbs. And I currently live in the most 'Essendon' place there is aside from Essendon itself. :)

I know nothing of Eth's grandma. But I am well aware that Pascoe Vale is close to Essendon, I've lived my entire life in the northern suburbs. And I currently live in the most 'Essendon' place there is aside from Essendon itself. :)
Phew. Glad we cleared that up. I'd say West Brunswick/Pascoe Vale South would be next to Essendon but we're splitting hairs here.

Agreed that the ponds is the most Essendon of non Essendon suburbs though.

Always felt our rivalry (Pies v Bombers) was more of a mutual respect, rather than intense hatred. Good to see the polling reflects that.

And since the whole saga you guys have been going through started, I've kind of adopted you as my "2nd team", mainly because I've seen how much it hurts people in my family who support the Bombers... so I wish you success. Just don't rub my face in it when it happens!

I posted on my Facebook that I was excited Lloydy had joined us again.

Within 60 seconds, I had two rabid Carlton fans bringing up ASADA, drugs, Hirdy, not going to have any players next year etc etc, all the most imaginative of responses clearly.

They admitted themselves that they're still reeling from copping abuse for salary cap breaches, and now it's our turn to cop it for a few years.

Whilst some other club's fans might be enjoying our current situation, these guys are in another stratosphere with their obsession.

This sort of behaviour puts them at No. 1 with an MCG-sized gap to second IMO.

1. Carlton
-------------
2. Hawthorn
3. Collingwood

I think the way I'd sum it up is this: historically speaking, if you look throughout the ages, there is one team that stands out above all for Essendon, and that is Carlton.

Essendon and Carlton have a unique way of spoiling each other's party, regularly. There are so many junctures in VFL/AFL history where this is borne out.

Who each individual fan hates the most, on the other hand, is often shaped by different factors; things like, who is currently good, when did they grow up, where did they grow up, and so on.

But, in the annals of Essendon history, there can be only one answer for who our biggest rival is, and that is Carlton.

Feelings mutual fellas. Always talk about our rivalry with the Pies, but I reckon most of us bluebaggers consider your blokes the bigger rival.

One thing I will say, Carlton v Essendon games are impossible to tip. Ladder positions of the teams are generally irrelevant. Even had a few ripper draws in recent times too.

They're almost always great games to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back