Which club is Melbourne's biggest rival?

Melbourne's biggest rival?

• Adelaide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carlton

• Fremantle

• Greater Western Sydney

• North Melbourne

• Port Adelaide

• St Kilda

• Sydney

• West Coast

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember it wasn't long ago when any of these polls on this board would have been a complete landslide to Collingwood.

How times have changed.
I’m still hoping for a rivalry with the Pies for the historical symmetry. Also I don’t mind their supporters (do not tell them this) and the banter would be excellent

I’m still hoping for a rivalry with the Pies for the historical symmetry. Also I don’t mind their supporters (do not tell them this) and the banter would be excellent

With the outlier of 2018 you'd be hard pressed to find a time where both Melbourne and Collingwood were good at the same time.

Ironically 2018 is an outlier when it comes to Melbourne and Richmond both being good at the same time as well, even more so when you realise 2018 is the only time in the last 80 years when Melbourne and Richmond have both made the finals!

With the outlier of 2018 you'd be hard pressed to find a time where both Melbourne and Collingwood were good at the same time.

Ironically 2018 is an outlier when it comes to Melbourne and Richmond both being good at the same time as well, even more so when you realise 2018 is the only time in the last 80 years when Melbourne and Richmond have both made the finals!

Melbourne were a great team from 1955 to 1964 where Richmond weren't great then from 67 to 82 Richmond were a great side where Melbourne weren't. Then from that point on Melbourne had patches if being decent mainly 87-91 where Richmond were horrible until 2017 with the exceptions of 95 and 2001 both were down years for Melbourne.

With Collingwood depends what you mean by both being good teams. I think pre 2018 was probably 06 where both teams made finals, of course that was also our drought. Then 02 before that and then probably 1990, but before then nothing until 64 for Melbourne and Collingwood being good sides together.

The common denominator is Melbourne by in large have been awful for long periods of time.

Back