Which club is Melbourne's biggest rival?

Melbourne's biggest rival?

• Adelaide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carlton

• Fremantle

• Greater Western Sydney

• North Melbourne

• Port Adelaide

• St Kilda

• Sydney

• West Coast

• Total voters

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Interesting to see which club Melbourne fans view as being their biggest rival and why.

Handbaggers. I hate their guts. Until recently, they have always had the wood on us. Hate them with all my heart and soul. Dangerwank and Duckwood can GAGF.

I don't think we have one tbh

Maybe Collingwood purely because of the annual Queens Birthday game

But I don't think Collingwood see it as a rivalry, so can it even be one then?

King Kunta

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
In recent times, I'd say Geelong. Plenty of close games and a couple of meetings in the finals. There was also the win down at their ground in Enright's 300th (a game that will be fondly remembered by Melbourne supporters for some time).

Results since 2018:

R1 2018 - Geelong win after Gawn's miss
R18 2018 - Geelong win from 29 down, Tuohey goals after the siren
Elim final 2018 - Dees win their first final in 12 years
2019 - Cats win the only game comfortably
2020 - Cats win by 3 points after Tomlinson misses a late shot
R4 2021 - Dees win comfortably
R23 2021 - Dees win from 44 down, Gawn goals after the siren
Prelim 2021 - Dees win easy, Gawn serves up an all-time captain's performance

Geelong at the moment would be up there. Quite a few close games and finals recently.
The Dogs would be up there too, after this year.
I kinda feel like GWS are too, or at least our games with them are generally close and tough contests (partially a reflection of how each team plays though). Perhaps not spicy enough to be rivals yet. Although a few player moves each way has added a bit of interest.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
There's no particular one club that I hate more than others, it's generally whoever we are playing. If I had to pick one I would say essendon, has nothing to do with 2000 was more to do with the way their supporters carried on about their team 10 years ago. An okay team but they acted as if they were s**t hot. I hate Geelong for similar reasons, in all fairness Geelong have at least been close to a premiership recently. I just don't like their squad either. There's a thread on players we love for weird reasons, I have an irrational hatred for gryan miners, that name, the hair, that kicking style. On Geelong pre 2007 we had Geelong as our rivals for rivalry round for no reason besides being the two oldest clubs. We even use to always cop hawthorn on Easter Monday before it became the big game post 08 with the hawthorn vs Geelong rivalry.

Handbaggers. I hate their guts. Until recently, they have always had the wood on us. Hate them with all my heart and soul. Dangerwank and Duckwood can GAGF.

They are more a punching bag nowadays. The ownership papers they held over us have been transferred.

They are more a punching bag nowadays. The ownership papers they held over us have been transferred.
I still hate the *ers. Thank god Bruce w***ervaney no longer fawns over Dangerwank and his innate right to play in a premiership team.

I still hate the f***ers. Thank god Bruce w***ervaney no longer fawns over Dangerwank and his innate right to play in a premiership team.

Their coach is the biggest w***er of them all imo.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hawthorn, not because they opposed the merger, but for rubbing our faces in it for decades . And we owe them a heap of smashings as well .
Out of all the teams that had it over us from 2007 to 2017 hawthorn gave us the most nightmares imo despite Geelong giving us the 186 which was obviously the worst nightmare. Just over that period of time I felt that hawthorn were the best at tearing us a new one.

Bangkok Knights

Debutant
Jun 22, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
We used to have a rivalry with Collingwood at the MCG but that died out in the eighties. We have no rivals.
Haw v Ess, Haw v Geelong was a huge rivalry but even those are dropping off. Carl vColl is the oldest and still exists. They have almost the same win loss ratio v each other in H&A games.
Eagles v Swans is an interesting
one. Swans have the wood on them.
People make too much of a deal about our lack of success. Melbourne have won loads of matches and finals against Hawthorn and Geelong since 1987.
We had a bad patch from about 2007 to 2014. Stkilda has had a bad patch ever
since 1896 !!!!! 7 spoons in 12 years 77-88.
Also 1977- 1983 was a shocker for us but i think only two spoons.
Rivalries are mostly short lived.
If we keep winning the media will build us up.

Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers,Chelsea F.C.
Geelong.
Feels natural that Melb and Geelong should be a modern rivalry akin to Cats-Hawks, WCE-SYD, Since both teams have been in the comp for the longest and second longest time. (Maybe that the traditionalist in me)

Between the periods of 09' to 11' When essentially it was a 3 horse race for a flag between Saints, Collingwood and Cats, Id say the one thing that irkd me was seeing the perceived arrogance post game "Ho Hum" song being sung without any real gusto. At that time Geelong just expected to win. EVERY. TIME. THEY. PLAYED
Just because we we were s**t and werent winning many games doesnt diminish what that victory means to a really good team (Geelong). Completely understand now, it was just a well drilled team mentally getting ready for the next week. An inexperinced me thought they were just taking the wins for granted.

The Modern Melb- Geelong has been, well Scintillating. As posted above there were some incredible comebacks, a few nail-biters. Swings and roundabouts really.

As an aside im being critical, i was slightly critical of how 21' Melb carried on after winning the Minor Prem. Thought Celebrate when the jobs done in 5 weeks.
If anyone got though this much of my rant, thanks.

Back