Opinion Which club is our biggest rival?

Who is our biggest rival?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are using the 2015 season to mount a case David?
In my original post, I used the period 2012 - 2015 as that is when Fremantle have consistently toppled Geelong.

Because the post I quoted began with the following...

In fact, there are worse teams than us who are able to topple Fremantle of today.

I assumed "today" meant this season, not games 3 years ago...

I will admit, Fremantle have had our measure and this is one of the major reasons for my displeasure with Chris Scott as coach. The man came from Fremantle. He had as much inside knowledge as you can possibly get. Players strength & weaknesses and yet, he struggles to find a solution to beat that team time after time after time.
It is not just under his reign we have struggled though. Go back to 2010, you guys got us then. We narrowly got out of jail the following season and post 2011, it's been a putrid record of 2-5!

What is even more infuriating, Fremantle are a household joke for most supporters of this sport. They are 'The Purple NTTAWWTs'. A team which has no winning culture to speak of. Even during the last four or so years when they have been at the peak of their powers, they have nothing to show for it and yet, they will always have the two winning finals against Geelong to pin that up on their bedroom walls. It's quite sickening and something I do honestly believe changes now that we have Simon Lloyd on board.
Freo were very good in the finals that we lost to them. They were good enough to win the flag in 2013 but played a terrific team, and still may even have won if they'd turned up from the opening bounce instead of half time. There are always teams that have other teams measures for some periods of time. The wheel turns- we will get them next year. ( especially as I read Pav is going on-bonkers)

Last edited:
Hawthorn then Collingwood.
No teams have met more in finals more than us and the maggies, which is pretty interesting. Goes back to Geelong beating the machines streak in 31, Collingwood beating us and stopping a 3 peat in 53, the prelim finals of 80 and 81, and of course the epic finals (with a couple of spankings each way) we played 07-11. Always a massive crowd too; I know I try to get to every cats/pies game.

Also I really respect the pies and the Hawks. Terrific organisations and very well run.
However I can't deal with the feral magpie fans and those smug, eastern suburb, hawthorn flogs

Hawthorn then Collingwood.
No teams have met more in finals more than us and the maggies, which is pretty interesting. Goes back to Geelong beating the machines streak in 31, Collingwood beating us and stopping a 3 peat in 53, the prelim finals of 80 and 81, and of course the epic finals (with a couple of spankings each way) we played 07-11. Always a massive crowd too; I know I try to get to every cats/pies game.

Even prior to that, Collingwood's 4th premiership in 1930 benefited from a ridiculous finals 'system'; lose the preliminary final (to Geelong) but somehow still play the following week.

How about the doggies. We have played like 6 finals against them since 1992. Don't think any other two clubs has played that many finals in the same period of time.

Yeh not sure who has met the most in finals in AFL era off the top of my head but that's up there.
Not really a rivalry though. Although perhaps it should given both based in western Melbourne/vic

How about the doggies. We have played like 6 finals against them since 1992. Don't think any other two clubs has played that many finals in the same period of time.
Did they win any of those games?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ironically Billy kicked big bags in 3 of his four finals against the dogs. The only one he didn't is the one he is most remembered for.
He kicked about 8 in the same game the following year didn't he?

Almost. It was two years earlier - 9 goals in the 1992 Qualifying Final.
He kicked a bag in 95 as well, I'm absolutely sure of it...

Pretty sure of it...

Almost. It was two years earlier - 9 goals in the 1992 Qualifying Final.
It's a long time ago, but I can only remember billy kicking a bag against st Kilda when Ablett pulled out.
Lockett kicked one too.

Actually, gas may have been suspended from the game I'm thinking of.

Edit: slowly coming back to me... :) ...I reckon that was the last time 4th played 5th in a qf too.

It's a long time ago, but I can only remember billy kicking a bag against st Kilda when Ablett pulled out.
Lockett kicked one too.

Actually, gas may have been suspended from the game I'm thinking of.

He was. 1991 Elimination Final. Brownless kicked 8 and Lockett kicked 9. Ablett got suspended for hitting Burke (I think). Truth be told he shouldn't have played. His lack of a pre-season was very obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back