Discussion Which club is St Kilda's biggest rival?

St Kilda's biggest rival?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Interesting to see which club St Kilda fans view as being their biggest rival and why.

Interesting to see which club St Kilda fans view as being their biggest rival and why.

We really don't have a rival. We have been terrible for much of our history. Really hard to build up a rivalry when the opposition constantly flogs you. Maybe the Bulldogs but that went by the wayside since 2016. Maybe the old South before they became Sydney.

I actually feel like Port and maybe Fremantle are our biggest rivals.

There always seems to be something happening when we play those clubs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We really don't have a rival. We have been terrible for much of our history. Really hard to build up a rivalry when the opposition constantly flogs you. Maybe the Bulldogs but that went by the wayside since 2016. Maybe the old South before they became Sydney.

My maybe would be the Roys instead of the Dogs, given they hold at least 1 of our flags through challenge and we both ended up on the "will they bugger off?" merge talks despite both of us then doing SFA for fair chunks of history.

Freo wish they had that sort of legacy, so do the Dogs.

Collingwood and Bulldogs for me, but more so Collingwood. Our only flag? Against Collingwood. Grand final draw? Collingwood. I love beating Collingwood more than any other team, and I hate losing to them the most too.

2004/5 to 2010 or so was your guys for sure. overall I'd say the Dogs, purely for the one flag each for so long

Interesting to see there's a few clubs in the mix in the eyes of Saints fans and who they view as their biggest rival.

I started a similar thread on our board and it was a total landslide to Hawthorn.

Interesting to see there's a few clubs in the mix in the eyes of Saints fans and who they view as their biggest rival.

I started a similar thread on our board and it was a total landslide to Hawthorn.
You are actually asking the wrong question.
To have a rival, there must be another team whose supporters view us as their rival.

Our geographical rival was forcibly re-located interstate.
And given our historical underperformance, I doubt whether any team has supporters who see us as their rival.
That mirrors the difficulty you are seeing in getting us to agree on, or to even name, one.

But that can change quickly and for the most innocuous of reasons.
Think Sheedy, coat waving, Essendon and West Coast.

The closest we have come to a rivalry was 2010.
If we had managed to duplicate 1966, including the margin, then it would be no surprise to see Collingwood nominated here.
But whether they would have seen us in the same way, given their rivalries with Essendon, Carlton etc, is another question entirely.
If we had beaten them again in 2011, maybe their answer would be different.

For St Kilda to have a rival, the Club needs sustained success and a spark, like Sheedy and his spontaneous coat waving, to set it off.

You are actually asking the wrong question.
To have a rival, there must be another team whose supporters view us as their rival.

Our geographical rival was forcibly re-located interstate.
And given our historical underperformance, I doubt whether any team has supporters who see us as their rival.
That mirrors the difficulty you are seeing in getting us to agree on, or to even name, one.

But that can change quickly and for the most innocuous of reasons.
Think Sheedy, coat waving, Essendon and West Coast.

The closest we have come to a rivalry was 2010.
If we had managed to duplicate 1966, including the margin, then it would be no surprise to see Collingwood nominated here.
But whether they would have seen us in the same way, given their rivalries with Essendon, Carlton etc, is another question entirely.
If we had beaten them again in 2011, maybe their answer would be different.

For St Kilda to have a rival, the Club needs sustained success and a spark, like Sheedy and his spontaneous coat waving, to set it off.

I know a few Bulldogs fans, they hated us more than any other side in footy after the 2009 prilim. They hate Riewoldt still and think he's a staging flog. Unfortunately we've been irrelevant for so long that other supporters look at their feet like they are discussing their property portfolio with a homeless man when footy come up these days. I can't wait to be hated again, now it's like they only want the best for us because we are sad campaigners. Arseholes.

I know a few Bulldogs fans, they hated us more than any other side in footy after the 2009 prilim. They hate Riewoldt still and think he's a staging flog. Unfortunately we've been irrelevant for so long that other supporters look at their feet like they are discussing their property portfolio with a homeless man when footy come up these days. I can't wait to be hated again, now it's like they only want the best for us because we are sad campaigners. Arseholes.
Not sure many hate the dogs or Dees. Matter of fact I dont many ever hated us. Clubs like us are basically irrelevant.

Come on, it was just last year we knocked them out of the first week of finals.

Back