Discussion Which club is St Kilda's biggest rival?

St Kilda's biggest rival?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
Most teams enjoy playing us normally means 4 points for them

Mar 28, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think having so many of the teams in the league from Melbourne/Victoria really puts a damper on rivalries as it kinda kills any hope of a geographic rival for those teams.

Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think the 14 games we played against University were always well attended due to the fierce rivalry. 😜
F50089C6-6A90-420A-8444-865C7FB3706F.jpeg

Most teams enjoy playing us normally means 4 points for them

my litmus test for how relevant we are is to ask a wce fan: "what you think of the saints"

if they answer with anything positive it means we are in a bad place.

if they answer with a negative it means they find us threatening which is absolutely where we want to be.

for the last 9 years its been nothing but positive.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
I think we have a bit of a rivalry with Fremantle. South Fremantle almost knocked us off in the sterling cup and we’ve had some strange games against Fremantle like the one down in tassie. Whispers in the sky is another so yeah there’s some feeling in the Fremantle games when we play them.

Appalling jumper that makes your eyes bleed, arguably the worst song in the competition and arse goblin supporters there really is a lot to dislike imo.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
my litmus test for how relevant we are is to ask a wce fan: "what you think of the saints"

if they answer with anything positive it means we are in a bad place.

if they answer with a negative it means they find us threatening which is absolutely where we want to be.

for the last 9 years its been nothing but positive.
Well that’s a real shock. Let’s face it the 2 clubs only care about the 2 clubs. They would say the same about Essendon at the moment.

Well that’s a real shock. Let’s face it the 2 clubs only care about the 2 clubs. They would say the same about Essendon at the moment.
I have nice things to say about every club therefore they are all irrelevant.

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Even Hawthorn?
AS already mentioned , [and as a kid who attended old stand at the lakeside oval in the late 70's ], the Battle of the Lake between South and St.Kilda was always a strong rivalry due to geographical location. And of course that happens in most the local leagues where neighboring suburbs would play.

We should have built a strong current day rivalry with ..... wait for it........Gold Coast. :eek:
Last 5 meetings we have won by 9,4,4,1 and 2 points. But both sides have been ordinary in those years generally. That type of scoreline would build a rivalry, but none of us really hate GC . Imagine if those results were of us beating a big Melbourne club who we all personally knew truckload's of their supporters??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noidenous

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2012
Climbing out your mum's window
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Manchester UTD
Ya mum is the club's biggest rival. Fully legit.

Nah, has to be Port. Years of getting bent over at Football Park has to breed some sort of sadomasochistic 'but the plan' orgasms. Yeah, Adelaide themself might be a figure, but they've been trash for decades. Port have been there every single time to * with our final L/W record simply cause we never play SA teams at home.

Everyone knows we blew apart as soon as Geelong and Collingwood burst the big-game bubble. Riewoldt the hero playing showboat so hard that he got smothered in the goalsquare, blah blah blah.

Aside from that abysmal game last year, the only threat in terms of a genuine 'we're not gonna win' game has come from Port. Club has been sodomising us since the 90's.

Last edited:
Ya mum is the club's biggest rival. Fully legit.

Nah, has to be Port. Years of getting bent over at Football Park has to breed some sort of sadomasochistic 'but the plan' orgasms. Yeah, Adelaide themself might be a figure, but they've been trash for decades. Port have been there every single time to fu** with our final L/W record simply cause we never play SA teams at home.

Everyone knows we blew apart as soon as Geelong and Collingwood burst the big-game bubble. Riewoldt the hero playing showboat so hard that he got smothered in the goalsquare, blah blah blah.

Aside from that abysmal game last year, the only threat in terms of a genuine 'we're not gonna win' game has come from Port. Club has been sodomising us since the 90's.

We have rivals all over the place but most others don't really realise that we have issues with them. We're more like a crazy ex-girlfriend that you've forgotten about until she turn up at your wedding and throws red wine all over the bride.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
I would say Geelong and Collingwood but when we were competitive in the late 2000s. Now definitely more of a dogs and port rivalry.

From what I've seen ask any Bulldogs fan which South Australian club they have more rivalry with and they'll all say Bulldogs/Crows is more of a rivalry than Bulldogs/Power.

Nov 14, 2019
Brisbane
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
From what I've seen ask any Bulldogs fan which South Australian club they have more rivalry with and they'll all say Bulldogs/Crows is more of a rivalry than Bulldogs/Power.
I meant that St Kilda now has a growing rivalry with each of those clubs. Wasn’t commenting on their rivalries with eachother.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
I meant that St Kilda now has a growing rivalry with each of those clubs. Wasn’t commenting on their rivalries with eachother.

Saints/Bulldogs rivalry has been around quite a while and definitely runs two ways.

Saints/Power definitely more of a rivalry than Saints/Crows would you say?

I think having so many of the teams in the league from Melbourne/Victoria really puts a damper on rivalries as it kinda kills any hope of a geographic rival for those teams.
Not really. Hawthorn and Geelong.
Collingwood and Carlton.
Collingwood Essendon.

Fremantle when the tosser was there!
I don't actually mind them apart from that, apart from the reaming we got in the Hill debacle.

For years playing Freo was like Twilight Zone s**t, hard to have a rivalry when you're expecting it to play out like a Hunter S Thompson article.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
I was there at the Whispers in the Sky game against Freo and I've never been so angry at a game with all the bullshit free kicks Freo got that night.

The umpires literally won the game for them, it was disgraceful cheating, nearly got in a punch up with a Freo flog who was taunting me after the game.

No coincidence that game was after Grant Thomas told the umpires to check their egos in the locker and to stop influencing games.

They got their revenge on us that night.

I was there at the Whispers in the Sky game against Freo and I've never been so angry at a game with all the bullshit free kicks Freo got that night.

The umpires literally won the game for them, it was disgraceful cheating, nearly got in a punch up with a Freo flog who was taunting me after the game.

No coincidence that game was after Grant Thomas told the umpires to check their egos in the locker and to stop influencing games.

They got their revenge on us that night.

Literally had a BFL ump walk into our change rooms in a semi and state point blankly "I'm going to enjoy Fing your mob" then walk out to suitably F my mob with something like 14-0 against just for existing in a Ballarat comp. Straight, went into the pub afterwards I contemplated glassing him such was his blatant bullshit, and I wasn't even the only one.

Soon as Whispers arrived of an inkling of any of them chortling, giggling, skipping around a plane in nothing but undesirables arose, it was yep, they likely got offended about something, threw a tanty and everyone associated gets to kiss their arse because princesses. Kinda made me hate GT in the club as sure, think it, but why be stupid enough to poke the bear when you know it's just going take your balls and have a nibble and everyone will just go "yeah, you deserved that" and walk away.

Back