Discussion Which club is St Kilda's biggest rival?

St Kilda's biggest rival?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I was there at the Whispers in the Sky game against Freo and I've never been so angry at a game with all the bullshit free kicks Freo got that night.

The umpires literally won the game for them, it was disgraceful cheating, nearly got in a punch up with a Freo flog who was taunting me after the game.

No coincidence that game was after Grant Thomas told the umpires to check their egos in the locker and to stop influencing games.

They got their revenge on us that night.

That game probably cost St Kilda a flag.

Had they won they'd have finished 3rd and had been every chance to beat West Coast I'm the first final, and from there who knows.

All I know is Grant Thomas being a premiership coach would see him still being involved with the game today rather than being the game's biggest outsider.

Short answer is that I don't like any club that isn't St Kilda.

Longer answer is that some bother me more than others. Different clubs supporters seem to have different flavours.

I've been around long enough to remember what an arrogant entitled bunch Carlton supporters are. They've been a bit more mellow in recent decades, but I can guarantee they'll return to type even faster than the feral army down at Punt Road if they start tasting success.

Freo and North Melbourne supporters seem to have real chips on their shoulders. North supporters, in particular, seem to care (in a bad way) at lot more about my club that I do about theirs.

Hawk supporters have a lot to say when they are winning, but disappeared in a poo coloured puff of smoke this year.

Collingwood - Enough said.

At the moment though Essendon just :poo: me. I think it's because I know that had the doping program been ours we'd be long gone. They didn't come clean, they hid the evidence. But some clubs are just "special". :mad: I sincerely wish them ill fortune. They deserve it.

I personally haven't seen very much if any animosity between St Kilda and North Melbourne supporters while at the same time I've seen a lot of animosity from St Kilda and North Melbourne supporters alike towards Western Bulldogs, while the animosity runs two ways given Western Bulldogs supporters hate St Kilda and North Melbourne as much as St Kilda and North Melbourne supporters hate Western Bulldogs.

I'd have thought the greatest rivalries with St Kilda would be Collingwood. I know Collingwood and Carlton are rivals but the St Kilda/Collingwood rivalry goes back a long way. !966 comes to mind, and the first GF in 2010 has to go down as one of the greatest grudge matches in VFL/AFL history.
With the passing of time now, I think not winning in 2010 hurts more than not winning in 2009. Why? Because they got so close and they were playing against Collingwood.

That game probably cost St Kilda a flag.

Had they won they'd have finished 3rd and had been every chance to beat West Coast I'm the first final, and from there who knows.

All I know is Grant Thomas being a premiership coach would see him still being involved with the game today rather than being the game's biggest outsider.
We got three massive injuries in that game that would have seen us out anyway.

Should of check our voting poll before you come on the saints board and saying this.
Saints 25.5 percent
GWS 38.1 percent so we see GWS as our biggest rivalry
You should probably check the comment again for commenting yourself.

He didnt say Dog supporters saw St Kilda as their biggest rival. Just that we were still seen as of them them, and the percentages you supplied back up that statement.

i am too young, but apparently Carlton wanted to "let us rot" in the 80's? I have hated their arrogance ever since i heard that story
This is where I am. Not sure if it's a rivalry but I support two teams each weekend. The Saints and whoever is playing Carlton.

'Let them rot' will always be remembered by me. Speaks volumes of the soul of the club. Saints, Tigers, Doggies, North, Melbourne, Hawthorn and Sydney have all rattled tins and been close to extinction at times. Not one of those clubs have shown the arrogance and wish for the extinction of others. All so they could buy Plugger.

They've spent 20 years as a rabble and has been the worst performing club for the past 20 years leaving aside expansion but may they continue to rot and slide into irrelevance over the next 20 years. May they get more #1 draft picks to squander after pinning false hopes on them. May they continue to have the spotlight on them after another dismal season and failure after failure.

May they continue to participate in the competition as a lesson to all clubs who think they can circumnavigate the system and take short cuts. May they continue to have supporters who reference the 16 premierships, knowing that 11 of them were won before the Vietnam War ended, and 7 prior to the end of WW2.

Irrelevant.

Let Them Rot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thread over on the Bulldogs board shows they still hate the Saints and see them as a rival despite the Bulldogs having built rivalries with GWS and now Melbourne in recent times.

their pres basically said we should be folded without outright saying we should be folded.

i would wish incurable gonorrhea on them but they're pretty much riddled with it already

I don't like to use the "h" word, but I do have to admit I hate the 17 other clubs. And the umpires!

To be fair, there are degrees to my hatred - the Suns and Giants just haven't been around long enough to really get me wound up.

On the other end of the scale, I would fully support a nuclear strike that removed Geelong from the face of the earth (and that's said by someone who lives on that side of town)! I truly despise everything about Geelong, from its cheating team (don't get me started on Hawkin's "goal" in the 09 GF, let alone all the opposition goals they claimed to have touched), to its entitled supporters, down to the fact that they still call themselves "Motor City".

I also have problems with the filth, in particular their supporters.

And Carlton, the arrogant flogs - thank the footy gods for the pathetic rabble they've become.

And the dopers of course. Cheats.

I could go on, but I think you get the drift. Fifty years of following our team will do that!

I don't like to use the "h" word, but I do have to admit I hate the 17 other clubs. And the umpires!

To be fair, there are degrees to my hatred - the Suns and Giants just haven't been around long enough to really get me wound up.

On the other end of the scale, I would fully support a nuclear strike that removed Geelong from the face of the earth (and that's said by someone who lives on that side of town)! I truly despise everything about Geelong, from its cheating team (don't get me started on Hawkin's "goal" in the 09 GF, let alone all the opposition goals they claimed to have touched), to its entitled supporters, down to the fact that they still call themselves "Motor City".

I also have problems with the filth, in particular their supporters.

And Carlton, the arrogant flogs - thank the footy gods for the pathetic rabble they've become.

And the dopers of course. Cheats.

I could go on, but I think you get the drift. Fifty years of following our team will do that!

I agree whole heartedly with your view and that comes from 60 years of following the Saints.

BTW, I call Geelong "Country Collingwood"!

Last edited:
their pres basically said we should be folded without outright saying we should be folded.

i would wish incurable gonorrhea on them but they're pretty much riddled with it already

Which Bulldogs president said that and when?

Which Bulldogs president said that and when?

Peter Gordon. After they'd won a premiership he started demanding greater financial accountability from smaller clubs like North and Saints and hinting at relocation or folding. Obviously been up all night snorting off Jeff Kennett's **** at one of his Bunga-Bunga parties. One of the more sad and graceless efforts from a scum club president.

Peter Gordon. After they'd won a premiership he started demanding greater financial accountability from smaller clubs like North and Saints and hinting at relocation or folding. Obviously been up all night snorting off Jeff Kennett's **** at one of his Bunga-Bunga parties. One of the more sad and graceless efforts from a scum club president.
Yep - short memories there from Mr.Gordon.

Always thought the Dogs were our biggest rival as a young fella. Obviously the one flag each joined us at the hip. But through the 80's the Lockett/Kennedy, Frawley/Beasley and Cunningham/Burns and Hawkins/McPherson matched up some tough hombres [taking Simon the Pie-man out of the picture ] who didn't particularly care for each-other. Always very physical games at either Moorabbin or the Western Oval. Always games I enjoyed going to, as they were hard fought encounters and unlike going to most Hawthorn/ Essendon/Carlton/ Collingwood games of that decade, we had some chance to win :thumbsu:

I'd say Port, but our 22-6 record against the Saints over the last 20 years suggests the ledger is a bit one sided. 😏
Port are an irrelevant side anyway, nobody cares about them outside of SA. I guess when you have to include your SANFL history and belt out bogan songs to spur on the boys as some kind of desperate attempt to look better than you really are people can see through it 😏

Port are an irrelevant side anyway, nobody cares about them outside of SA. I guess when you have to include your SANFL history and belt out bogan songs to spur on the boys as some kind of desperate attempt to look better than you really are people can see through it 😏

Sell off all our games to them because no-one cares about them enough to show up. One of those sides that after so long in the comp you still forget about. Like a caffeine-free Fremantle. I'm always surprised when you see them in the top half of the ladder because they have such bland players. Kane Corn was the last one with a personality and it was like that of an aggressive chihuahua.

We have more rivalries than the Crows do.

Back