Discussion Which club is St Kilda's biggest rival?

St Kilda's biggest rival?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sell off all our games to them because no-one cares about them enough to show up. One of those sides that after so long in the comp you still forget about. Like a caffeine-free Fremantle. I'm always surprised when you see them in the top half of the ladder because they have such bland players. Kane Corn was the last one with a personality and it was like that of an aggressive chihuahua.
Kane Corn was alright but what about his brother Chris?

Sorry to intrude,but I honestly think it's Collingwood, given 1966, 2010 and of course than infamous and heroic stance by Nicky Winmar against those feral Filth fans at Vic Park in 93, plus that disgraceful slur Malthouse directed at Steven Milne as Pies Coach as well.

Mind you I can totally understand why you Sainters hate us as well considering John Elliott tried to kill your club off in 1995.

Sorry to intrude,but I honestly think it's Collingwood, given 1966, 2010 and of course than infamous and heroic stance by Nicky Winmar against those feral Filth fans at Vic Park in 93, plus that disgraceful slur Malthouse directed at Steven Milne as Pies Coach as well.

Mind you I can totally understand why you Sainters hate us as well considering John Elliott tried to kill your club off in 1995.
Pigs arse :p

no traditional “rivalry”
Rivalries are set by 2 teams during mutual sustained periods of winning eg hawks/cats 08-15
Hawks/bombers 80s.
Tigers and lions during their 3 cups never had staunch competition hence no rivalry out of it.

In saying this it’s well known that in the old VFL the saints were only there to make up the numbers, there to be beaten like the step child they were by the VFLs real children the big vic clubs.
6 finals appearances in 60 years doesn’t build many rivals.

We obviously came into a period of success in the late 60s, being not born then I have no idea if we had any rivalry that half dozen years...

From there beginning at 3/4 time in the ‘71 grand final into another dark age for 20 years.

91/92 and 97 were spotfires in a decade of mediocrity.

We finally hit a sustained winning period again 04-11.
Think in that time we built rivalries with both Geelong and the doggies, maybe even pies/hawks/port.

All those rivalries were put to bed as we became a basket case again for 8 years.

no traditional “rivalry”
Rivalries are set by 2 teams during mutual sustained periods of winning eg hawks/cats 08-15
Hawks/bombers 80s.
Tigers and lions during their 3 cups never had staunch competition hence no rivalry out of it.

In saying this it’s well known that in the old VFL the saints were only there to make up the numbers, there to be beaten like the step child they were by the VFLs real children the big vic clubs.
6 finals appearances in 60 years doesn’t build many rivals.

We obviously came into a period of success in the late 60s, being not born then I have no idea if we had any rivalry that half dozen years...

From there beginning at 3/4 time in the ‘71 grand final into another dark age for 20 years.

91/92 and 97 were spotfires in a decade of mediocrity.

We finally hit a sustained winning period again 04-11.
Think in that time we built rivalries with both Geelong and the doggies, maybe even pies/hawks/port.

All those rivalries were put to bed as we became a basket case again for 8 years.

Yep you’ve gotta beat a good team and have a good team beat you. Anything one sided doesn’t result in a rivalry. We’ve had such close games with the suns in what the last 5 years it’d be a rivalry if they weren’t the most irrelevant team in the league. If we keep the games at a 1 goal margin and steal Ben King we could be their rivals

Yep you’ve gotta beat a good team and have a good team beat you. Anything one sided doesn’t result in a rivalry. We’ve had such close games with the suns in what the last 5 years it’d be a rivalry if they weren’t the most irrelevant team in the league. If we keep the games at a 1 goal margin and steal Ben King we could be their rivals
There was a bit of rivalry between us and the dogs, permanent cellar dwelling and in a race for the 2nd cup.
Ramped up 09-
But they put it to bed in ‘16.

kinda felt after that the race was on with melb to not be the last one with a 50year drought.
Obviously that’s over now too.

I reckon you’re right, it’s Gold Coast now. Both been s**t since 2011 (their inception) Both on the way up into the top 8 hopefully.

5 close games over the last 4 years. We won all.

ironically they may be our biggest rivalry right now but we are probably not in their top 3!

Brissy would be their biggest, they have a good win/loss tally with north and they haven’t beat port since their first meeting by 3 points.

be interesting to get a suns fans view.

There was a bit of rivalry between us and the dogs, permanent cellar dwelling and in a race for the 2nd cup.
Ramped up 09-
But they put it to bed in ‘16.

kinda felt after that the race was on with melb to not be the last one with a 50year drought.
Obviously that’s over now too.

I reckon you’re right, it’s Gold Coast now. Both been sh*t since 2011 (their inception) Both on the way up into the top 8 hopefully.

5 close games over the last 4 years. We won all.

ironically they may be our biggest rivalry right now but we are probably not in their top 3!

Brissy would be their biggest, they have a good win/loss tally with north and they haven’t beat port since their first meeting by 3 points.

be interesting to get a suns fans view.
If we steal king we’ll genuinely be their rival. Imagine their anger

It will likely be hawthorn in the future.. Dingley is only 10k from Moorabbin.. and they’ve been angling for supporters from the bayside for years. We were ripped off when Frankston was zoned to Hawthorn - arguably cost us a flag ( throw Dermie in with Lockett and Winmar). Make no mistake Kennet will use every opportunity he can in clearing us out of bayside. Hawks are about to go through a rough period…he’ll throw us under a bus to both distract the media and grab the bayside supporter group. Waverly and it’s newer residents didn’t embrace them..They are fighting for a home.and they want ours. They will emerge as our biggest rivals in the next few years…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will likely be hawthorn in the future.. Dingley is only 10k from Moorabbin.. and they’ve been angling for supporters from the bayside for years. We were ripped off when Frankston was zoned to Hawthorn - arguably cost us a flag ( throw Dermie in with Lockett and Winmar). Make no mistake Kennet will use every opportunity he can in clearing us out of bayside. Hawks are about to go through a rough period…he’ll throw us under a bus to both distract the media and grab the bayside supporter group. Waverly and it’s newer residents didn’t embrace them..They are fighting for a home.and they want ours. They will emerge as our biggest rivals in the next few years…

Suits me. They're a really great team to hate these days.

If we steal king we’ll genuinely be their rival. Imagine their anger

That would require Gold Coast becoming a relevant football club.

We had the Ablett factor with Gold Coast which should have led to us developing a rivalry with them however they've always been an irrelevant club.

Gonna say Carlton. Why? Cos they are lowly, and scummy and at the bottom of the ladder, and they beat us at the end of every season, just as they have sacked or are about to sack their coach, and we are supposedly riding high, having pumped air in to another dying dog of a season.

That would require Gold Coast becoming a relevant football club.

We had the Ablett factor with Gold Coast which should have led to us developing a rivalry with them however they've always been an irrelevant club.

Not sure that’s quite the same though. With Ablett doing everything he possibly could have done at Geelong and after a period of success it appears to me that he probably went without too much acrimony from the club and supporters?

Whereas Suns have achieved absolutely nothing and if we manage to poach one of their most likely future stars they’ll probably hate us for years.

Bring it on! 😄

Not sure that’s quite the same though. With Ablett doing everything he possibly could have done at Geelong and after a period of success it appears to me that he probably went without too much acrimony from the club and supporters?

Whereas Suns have achieved absolutely nothing and if we manage to poach one of their most likely future stars they’ll probably hate us for years.

Bring it on! 😄

Both of their fans are going to be irate as soon as they get back from fishing.

Back