Which club is West Coast's biggest rival?

West Coast's biggest rival?

• Total voters
Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Off field, it's easily Freo. Their fans are bitter to the core about anything Eagles. Some truely need professional help, absolutely tapped in the head.

Have a read of the thread "do you have many eagles friends" on the Freo board. Their hatred is so irrational that they're incapable of separating football from real life.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Have a read of the thread "do you have many eagles friends" on the Freo board. Their hatred is so irrational that they're incapable of separating football from real life.
In fairness we are awful to them.

I loved it when they were in that gf and trying to rub it in and a lot of us were saying good luck and supporting them.

To be on the receiving end of that and lose is like getting charity from someone you hate. So so delicious.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
FB313772-6478-4175-9C33-76A9F2022CF3.jpeg

Fxn lol - when thats the best you can cling to….

Knocked us out of finals - news flash - if freo knock us out of finals then we were never winning a gf anyway - and thats what this club does - wins grand finals. Everything else is irrelevant.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Are the people playing down the Freo rivalry the same people that don't attend games?

On field, sure. Freo are no one's rival. No club truely respects them. Rightfully so, almost 3 decades now of nothing but repeated failure.

Off field, it's easily Freo. Their fans are bitter to the core about anything Eagles. Some truely need professional help, absolutely tapped in the head.
I go to most derbies and have never had a problem with their fans. Most of the ones I encounter know their club is a bit s**t, but that's why they love them. They like taking the Eagles down, as a lot of our fans can be quite arrogant to Freo fans, given how s**t their club is (Ive been that guy many times).

kfad05

Debutant
Jul 31, 2009
Perth Hills
AFL Club
West Coast
I go to most derbies and have never had a problem with their fans. Most of the ones I encounter know their club is a bit sh*t, but that's why they love them. They like taking the Eagles down, as a lot of our fans can be quite arrogant to Freo fans, given how sh*t their club is (Ive been that guy many times).
Yeah, I've copped abuse from Hawthorn fans (especially after that terrible final game of 2019), Port fans, and North fans surprisingly. Hawthorn fans in WA seem to be the worst, bandwagoners from the 80s and 2010s. Fremantle fans at work are irritating, come to gloat when they win, but at the game they seem fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

russ

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2003
back in town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
True.. perhaps the Power/Eagles have a rivalry due to playing two classic, cut throat finals.. both of which were decided by less than a goal... and the Power/Eagles splitting those matches 1-1.

The Crows.. on the other hand, have never beaten West Coast in a final, and despite there not being much difference between the Crows/Power in terms of overall AFL success... the Crows don't really have any rivalries outside of the rivalry with the Power...... while on the other hand.. the Power have rivalries with Brisbane, Collingwood, Geelong and West Coast.
Adelaide smashed us in 03 EF @ footy park

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Ostensibly Freo.

But the team I hate us to lose to the most is definitely Essendon. I historically dislike Port as well, they were one of our few bogey sides for a long period and knew how to win ugly against us, I thoroughly enjoy putting them to the sword, although I feel we've had the side of fortune since about 2014 and tend to fall over the line in the thrillers. Their villainy isn't as perennial as Essendon.

Our Collingwood and Sydney rivalries were for the good of the AFL, fairly respectful, you win some you lose some.

We are also the interstate white knight (except when Gabba gets the granny) so perceived unfairness from Vicland brings out our big brother syndrome grandstanding.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
We are also the interstate white knight (except when Gabba gets the granny) so perceived unfairness from Vicland brings out our big brother syndrome grandstanding.

What do you mean when you say West Coast are the white knight?

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
It’s just a jest about us being more vocal in our anti-Vic, we normally don’t like to see the other interstaters getting shafted. We’re allowed to self-deprecate our tendencies.

I would have thought Sydney and West Coast would be about on a par with one another in terms of being an interstate white knight.

After all Sydney and West Coast are the two most successful clubs from interstate, if you're picking a top 8 before the start of every season almost everyone would pick Sydney and West Coast to finish higher than the other interstate teams on average.

GWS are a club I'll admit is beginning to consolidate itself as a constantly successful interstate club, and I won't be surprised to soon see Sydney, West Coast, GWS known as the big 3 interstate clubs in terms of on field success, constantly being finalists and premiership contenders.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I would have thought Sydney and West Coast would be about on a par with one another in terms of being an interstate white knight.

After all Sydney and West Coast are the two most successful clubs from interstate, if you're picking a top 8 before the start of every season almost everyone would pick Sydney and West Coast to finish higher than the other interstate teams on average.

GWS are a club I'll admit is beginning to consolidate itself as a constantly successful interstate club, and I won't be surprised to soon see Sydney, West Coast, GWS known as the big 3 interstate clubs in terms of on field success, constantly being finalists and premiership contenders.
You misunderstand, it's more about our early history more than anything else, stuff like taking the cup away from Victoria, the line in the song, the away home finals, the shorter player careers. I grew up in a Sydney Swan family and it was a very different much more humbled vibe, the Swans didn't really have any sense of arrogance until about 2013-ish and then the Franklin Cola Tippett dramas.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
You misunderstand, it's more about our early history more than anything else, stuff like taking the cup away from Victoria, the line in the song, the away home finals, the shorter player careers. I grew up in a Sydney Swan family and it was a very different much more humbled vibe, the Swans didn't really have any sense of arrogance until about 2013-ish and then the Franklin Cola Tippett dramas.

I guess Sydney being from South Melbourne and Brisbane being from Fitzroy means those clubs never truly fly the flag for the interstaters.

The state pride thing has never really existed in NSW and Queensland anyway, it's always been WA and SA where it's been a thing.

Hence why Crows and Power supporters always tend to get behind West Coast whenever their own teams are out of contention and it's West Coast flying the flag for the interstate teams.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I guess Sydney being from South Melbourne and Brisbane being from Fitzroy means those clubs never truly fly the flag for the interstaters.

The state pride thing has never really existed in NSW and Queensland anyway, it's always been WA and SA where it's been a thing.

Hence why Crows and Power supporters always tend to get behind West Coast whenever their own teams are out of contention and it's West Coast flying the flag for the interstate teams.
Exactly, probably a bit of SoO rivalry there. It's a lot more easygoing in Sydney/Brisbane, and the state leagues weren't as prominent either. You see a bit of the Eagles shtick with Port's proud SANFL history and the prison bars too, but the AFL Power version wasn't that relevant until that early 00s period when interstate teams doing well was the norm.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Exactly, probably a bit of SoO rivalry there. It's a lot more easygoing in Sydney/Brisbane, and the state leagues weren't as prominent either. You see a bit of the Eagles shtick with Port's proud SANFL history and the prison bars too, but the AFL Power version wasn't that relevant until that early 00s period when interstate teams doing well was the norm.

West Coast have rivalries with Fremantle, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong and Sydney.

Port Adelaide have rivalries with Adelaide, Brisbane, Collingwood, Geelong and West Coast.

I didn't include Port Adelaide in the list of West Coast rivalries because the rivalry is clearly one way. Power fans see a rivalry with West Coast, but Eagles fans don't see a rivalry with the Power.

Adelaide don't have any rivalries besides the Crows/Power rivalry.

Fremantle don't have any rivalries besides the Dockers/Eagles rivalry.

Personally, do you see a rivalry between Eagles/Power?

Also, in your opinion do you think Adelaide have any rivalries besides Crows/Power and also do you think Fremantle have any rivalries besides Dockers/Eagles?

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Yes, after Essendon they are the team I most hate to lose to. They were one of our few bogey teams until the last several years when we became more fortunate against them, and had a tendency to win ugly against us in winnable contests. And we relate more to the Crows which makes the Power more unlikeable.

Essendon remains our biggest rival, as every few years they manage to stick the dagger in.

As for the others like the Crows and Dockers, maybe not enduring rivalries, but they have some dormant ones, h2hs that I've looked forward to for periods over the years.

Oct 19, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
West Coast have rivalries with Fremantle, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong and Sydney.

Port Adelaide have rivalries with Adelaide, Brisbane, Collingwood, Geelong and West Coast.

I didn't include Port Adelaide in the list of West Coast rivalries because the rivalry is clearly one way. Power fans see a rivalry with West Coast, but Eagles fans don't see a rivalry with the Power.

Adelaide don't have any rivalries besides the Crows/Power rivalry.

Fremantle don't have any rivalries besides the Dockers/Eagles rivalry.

Also, in your opinion do you think Adelaide have any rivalries besides Crows/Power and also do you think Fremantle have any rivalries besides Dockers/Eagles?
We do have, ..at the moment carlton is the biggest rival.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 19, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm surprised Dockers/Saints isn't more of a rivalry both ways.
Yes we have rivalry with saints but media always focus too much on eagles. The rivalry with carlton is Reason 1...for the last 3 seasons we reach in home and away season with 3 games to go and we need 2 or 3 wins to reach final,they always beat us either after the siren or by less than 1 or 2 goals. And they finish lower than us on the ladder.. and they wouldn't had a chance at finals like we did. They spoil our season and momentum. Reason 2 ...they bid on Liam Henry 2019 with pick 9...we had to sacrifice in next draft... he should have been a pick 15 to 17 bid...Reason3.. as soon as they knew Cerra nominated Carlton they played hard ball but at least we got pick 6 from them Reason 4 bidding on motlop on this year. ..when we took johnson at 21 in our forum we were anxious on each pick but we knew many clubs wont go this early on motlop.But when carlton's pick came many of us were sure they will bid on him..and happened.
.we hade rivalry with Hawks during 2013 to 2015 time and it is reducing now.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Yes we have rivalry with saints but media always focus too much on eagles. The rivalry with carlton is Reason 1...for the last 3 seasons we reach in home and away season with 3 games to go and we need 2 or 3 wins to reach final,they always beat us either after the siren or by less than 1 or 2 goals. And they finish lower than us on the ladder.. and they wouldn't had a chance at finals like we did. They spoil our season and momentum. Reason 2 ...they bid on Liam Henry 2019 with pick 9...we had to sacrifice in next draft... he should have been a pick 15 to 17 bid...Reason3.. as soon as they knew Cerra nominated Carlton they played hard ball but at least we got pick 6 from them Reason 4 bidding on motlop on this year. ..when we took johnson at 21 in our forum we were anxious on each pick but we knew many clubs wont go this early on motlop.But when carlton's pick came many of us were sure they will bid on him..and happened.
.we hade rivalry with Hawks during 2013 to 2015 time and it is reducing now.

Dockers/Cats and Dockers/Swans have met in several finals much like Dockers/Hawks.

Would you consider Dockers/Cats and Dockers/Swans to be rivalries like Dockers/Hawks was and Dockers/Saints and Dockers/Blues are?

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Hawthorn

Haven't beaten them in a GF

Only team with more cups than us in afl period.

Back