Which club is West Coast's biggest rival?

West Coast's biggest rival?

• Total voters

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I personally feel more hurt losing to Sydney and port than I do losing to freo.

Losing to Cats doesn’t feel great either.
I don't feel much when playing Cats,unless it's a final. Since Simmo started coaching, we always win our home games against the Cats and get flogged in our away games. I keep hoping it might change, but it never does.

Oct 19, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dockers/Cats and Dockers/Swans have met in several finals much like Dockers/Hawks.

Would you consider Dockers/Cats and Dockers/Swans to be rivalries like Dockers/Hawks was and Dockers/Saints and Dockers/Blues are?
I personally wont, they didn't hurt us as hawks did during 2012-15 and saints always and blues 2019-21

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Which club do Eagles supporters view as having more of a rivalry with out of the Crows and Power?

MrWoollie

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2008
England
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lincoln City Imps, West Perth
Which club do Eagles supporters view as having more of a rivalry with out of the Crows and Power?
I think we have more in common with the Crows and see them as a similar club fighting the good fight against the evils of the VFL in a remote and mistreated outpost rather than hated rivals.
Port are the SA version of the Dockers.
A more thuggish, boganesque, rabidly feral supporter base and a club built from the most violent club(s) of the state competition.
Port are more hateable and therefore more of a rival. We've also met them in more finals and do or die matches. Had a couple of after the siren games as well, which adds to any rivalry.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Fremantle's biggest rival aside from the Eagles is Carlton as voted by their board.

West Coast's biggest rival aside from the Dockers is Collingwood as voted by their board.

Says it all really when it comes to the difference in relevance between the WA clubs on a national scale.

You can also say that West Coast's rivalries with Essendon, Geelong and Sydney comfortably trump the Dockers/Blues rivalry.

The rivalry between the Eagles/Pies is arguably the biggest rivalry between two clubs located interstate from each other.

I'd say the Lions/Power rivalry registers on a national scale too, it may not seem like it at the moment but just wait until the two clubs meet each other in a final again.

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Imagine only existing for the last for 26 seasons and having CARLTON as your main rival outside your local derby rivalry :drunk:

I mean 100+ year suburban rivalries, yeah OK, I get that 100%, but based on the last 26 years? That's just so Freo to pick the worst club in that time for a faux rivalry to thump their chests over.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Fremantle has set a very clear goal for the flag but their forward structure is still questionable.
I dont think Western Derby GF in 2022 will happen.
Setting a goal and achieving it are two different things of course.
Curiously all other clubs have a similar goal, to achieve a flag asap..
Am really interested to see how both clubs stack up in the 1st derby this season?

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Setting a goal and achieving it are two different things of course.
Curiously all other clubs have a similar goal, to achieve a flag asap..
Am really interested to see how both clubs stack up in the 1st derby this season?
I dont think "all other clubs have a similar goal"! Gold Coast? Hawthron?
You are right that "setting a goal and achieving it are different", but if we dont set a right goal and be committing to acheive the goal, the chance of winning the flag is very low.
I dont know what goals the other 17 clubs have officially written on their business plan. I would love someone can list them down.
We will beat the Dockers by 10 goals in the first 2022 derby

Astro7

Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I dont think "all other clubs have a similar goal"! Gold Coast? Hawthron?
You are right that "setting a goal and achieving it are different", but if we dont set a right goal and be committing to acheive the goal, the chance of winning the flag is very low.
I dont know what goals the other 17 clubs have officially written on their business plan. I would love someone can list them down.
We will beat the Dockers by 10 goals in the first 2022 derby
At the risk of 'splitting hairs' I think ALL clubs have the goal of winning a flag as soon as possible, otherwise there's no point in being in the competition. 'As soon as possible' is a length of time that changes with each club. For some it is always the next season, they're realistically within the window to achieve that, for others it's a longer term plan to build towards, but it still equates to asap.

We believed we set the right goal last season and were committed to achieving that goal yet still our chances of winning the flag was very low..humiliatingly so.
It doesn't matter what the other clubs have written on their business plan, the end goal is the same, to win a flag.
How can you say we'll beat the dockers by 10 goals - it's a complete unknown. If that does happen it's sheer chance. But beating the dockers by 10 goals always sounds good to me!

(as we traverse the offseason, we are clearly crossing the doldrums now, the quietest most inactive period, when the minds of sailors and footy fans alike begin to unravel and they'll argue and nitpick any small detail, myself included!)

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
At the risk of 'splitting hairs' I think ALL clubs have the goal of winning a flag as soon as possible, otherwise there's no point in being in the competition. 'As soon as possible' is a length of time that changes with each club. For some it is always the next season, they're realistically within the window to achieve that, for others it's a longer term plan to build towards, but it still equates to asap.

We believed we set the right goal last season and were committed to achieving that goal yet still our chances of winning the flag was very low..humiliatingly so.
It doesn't matter what the other clubs have written on their business plan, the end goal is the same, to win a flag.
How can you say we'll beat the dockers by 10 goals - it's a complete unknown. If that does happen it's sheer chance. But beating the dockers by 10 goals always sounds good to me!

(as we traverse the offseason, we are clearly crossing the doldrums now, the quietest most inactive period, when the minds of sailors and footy fans alike begin to unravel and they'll argue and nitpick any small detail, myself included!)
Can you remind me of what the WCE goal statement is for 2021?
I dont recall see it.

Astro7

Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Can you remind me of what the WCE goal statement is for 2021?
I dont recall see it.
Sure, no probs, it's been published a couple of times now by both the CEO and the head coach, just go to the WCE site. The most recent one was posted a day ago.
I don't think it needs to be quoted because you're never going to read anything that suggests "our goal this year is not to aim for a flag"

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Sure, no probs, it's been published a couple of times now by both the CEO and the head coach, just go to the WCE site. The most recent one was posted a day ago.
I don't think it needs to be quoted because you're never going to read anything that suggests "our goal this year is not to aim for a flag"
Much appreciated If can quote the link address for us here.
I am quite bad in locating information on most of the sites

Last edited:

Astro7

Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Much appreciated If can quote the link address for us here.
I am quite bad in locating information on most of the sites
That's ok, I'm pretty bad at having to locate stuff for other people?
It's easy-peasy, just go to WCE club site or FB site and scroll, you'll find them, statements from the CEO and the Coach.
It's not a biggie, we're all just killing time waiting for footy to start...

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Interesting to note there have only been five seasons not featuring a WA team in the finals.

2000, 2001, 2008, 2009 and 2021.

Seasons without a WA team in the finals seem to come in twos so is it safe to say 2022 won't feature a team from WA in the finals?

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Interesting to note there have only been five seasons not featuring a WA team in the finals.

2000, 2001, 2008, 2009 and 2021.

Seasons without a WA team in the finals seem to come in twos so is it safe to say 2022 won't feature a team from WA in the finals?
We only win flags in even years- 92, 94, 06, 18, so its safe to say we will win the flag this year.

Back