Which club is Western Bulldogs biggest rival?

Western Bulldogs biggest rival?

• Essendon

Votes: 40 13.0%
  • Geelong

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 77 25.1%
  • Carlton

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Richmond

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 39 12.7%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • West Coast

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • GWS

Votes: 118 38.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Living outside of Victoria, I have literally met one single North Melbourne supporter in my entire life, and they weren't really even a footy fan. Not a member, didn't know any of the players, didn't watch games, etc. Pretty much the most casual of footy fan. So I guess I just never see the obnoxious side to them.

On the other hand, Bombers supporters are the absolute ******* worst, and there seems to be a ton of them outside Victoria. Also given my age group, a lot of people around my generation bandwaggoned the Bombers when they had that insanely strong team around the turn of the century, and they all seem to have an air of arrogance about them. If there's one team I don't mind seeing struggling, it's the drug cheats
Im the opposite. Have quite a few friends and acquaintances that are bombers and while they are pretty feral supporters, they are actually really great people.
North and Geelong supporters on the other hand.....

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Essendon. They wouldn’t consider us a rival but having looked down their nose at us and even made it hard for us for over a hundred years. But they are yesterday’s club. I’m glad they haven’t won a flag this century (2000 being the last year of the 20th century and 2nd millennium) and we have. They haven’t done much at all this century. And they are stuck with 20th century ideas too.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Essendon. They wouldn’t consider us a rival but having looked down their nose at us and even made it hard for us for over a hundred years. But they are yesterday’s club. I’m glad they haven’t won a flag this century (2000 being the last year of the 20th century and 2nd millennium) and we have. They haven’t done much at all this century. And they are stuck with 20th century ideas too.
I can almost guarantee if we win a few more flags and grow in support they'll want to make a rivalry with us straight away. They do it with all the big clubs. They aren't even rivals with Richmond and Geelong yet they pushed for marquee games with them.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club

No they don't, Collingwood-centric. I suppose you can't blame them, if we made as much out of 1 game, Anzac Day, as many clubs make in a year, we'd be the same. What makes a rivalry ? Looking at some notable Rivalries

Scotland

Celtic-Rangers. Glasgow. The biggie.

Battles of
(a) the sectarian divide
(b) the big clubs
(c) the successful clubs
(d) intra City – the derby.

Hearts – Hibs. Edinburgh.

Battles of
(a) the sectarian divide
(b) the big clubs
(c) the successful clubs

England

Liverpool – Everton

Battles of
(a) the sectarian divide
(b) the big clubs
(c) the successful clubs

Ireland

Kerry – Dublin
Battles of
(a) the successful counties
(b) west coast v east coast.

USA

College Football only

USC -Notre Dame.
Battle of
Coaches wives. In 1924, the wife of Notre Dame’s coach, Mrs Rockne, agreed with USC coach’s wife, Mrs Wilson, to the annual game so she could get a break from the East Coast Winter.

Navy – Notre Dame
Battle of
The grateful. During WW11 the US Navy used Notre Dame facilities for training and paid enough to enable Notre Dame to remain open. In gratitude, Notre Dame agreed to an annual match.

Australia

Carlton-Collingwood.
Battles of
(a) the big clubs
(b) the successful clubs. 16 and 15 Premierships respectively

Footscray – Port Melbourne
Pre 1925. Battle of the Successful clubs

Can Bombers-Bulldogs be big rivals ?

Big clubs ? Not yet, perhaps in the future
Successful clubs ? No, not on numbers of premierships but a run on Premierships and Essendon doing a Carlton, who knows
Sectarian divide ? No
Intra-city? Yes and also the 2 Western Suburbs clubs
Coaches wives ? No, Mrs Beveridge is too multi skilled to worry about the cold and who coaches Essendon ?
Gratitude ? Those b……s would never be grateful, no matter how much we helped them.
The underdog ? Yes. 1924

Hmmn

Last edited:
No they don't, Collingwood-centric. I suppose you can't blame them, if we made as much out of 1 game, Anzac Day, as many clubs make in a year, we'd be the same. What makes a rivalry ? Looking at some notable Rivalries

Scotland

Celtic-Rangers. Glasgow. The biggie.

Battles of
(a) the sectarian divide
(b) the big clubs
(c) the successful clubs

Hearts – Hibs. Edinburgh.

Battles of
(a) the sectarian divide
(b) the big clubs
(c) the successful clubs

England

Liverpool – Everton

Battles of
(a) the sectarian divide
(b) the big clubs
(c) the successful clubs

Ireland

Kerry – Dublin
Battles of
(a) the successful counties
(b) west coast v east coast.

USA

College Football only

USC -Notre Dame.
Battle of
Coaches wives. In 1924, the wife of Notre Dame’s coach, Mrs Rockne, agreed with USC coach’s wife, Mrs Wilson, to the annual game so she could get a break from the East Coast Winter.

Navy – Notre Dame
Battle of
The grateful. During WW11 the US Navy used Notre Dame facilities for training and paid enough to enable Notre Dame to remain open. In gratitude, Notre Dame agreed to an annual match.

Australia

Carlton-Collingwood.
Battles of
(a) the big clubs
(b) the successful clubs. 16 and 15 Premierships respectively

Footscray – Port Melbourne
Pre 1925. Battle of the Successful clubs

Can Bombers-Bulldogs be big rivals ?

Big clubs ? Not yet, perhaps in the future
Successful clubs ? No, not on numbers of premierships but a run on Premierships and Essendon doing a Carlton, who knows
Sectarian divide ? No
Intra-city? Yes and also the 2 Western Suburbs clubs
Coaches wives ? No, Mrs Beveridge is too multi skilled to worry about the cold and who coaches Essendon ?
Gratitude ? Those b……s would never be grateful, no matter how much we helped them.
The underdog ? Yes. 1924

Hmmn
Good post.
A delightful whirl around some famous sporting history over the last century or so and then making it all topical by bringing it back to the subject at hand.

Jeff 1975

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2018
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I didn't like the way North completely blocked Libba Sen at the centre bounces back in the 90s - couldn't get away with that nowadays
Libba Sen coped a lot before he turned tagger

Rivals probably whoever we lose too in finals
We seem to go ok against Sydney
GWS is a work in progress (very smug though)

Team we should have beaten

Hawthorn
Geelong
Adelaide
St. Kilda

Looking forward to getting a few back :bulldogs:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
I don’t hate Collingwood at all.
and why would you after 1989 ? C'wood got behind us, donated, provided players for the Legends game a Skinner. Who could forget, little Georgie
I don’t hate Collingwood at all.
Pre 1989 Absolute hatred.

Post 1989
Third place. After Essendon and Carlton.

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
and why would you after 1989 ? C'wood got behind us, donated, provided players for the Legends game a Skinner. Who could forget, little Georgie

Pre 1989 Absolute hatred.

Post 1989
Third place. After Essendon and Carlton.

My hate ladder:

1. Norf/GWS
2. Essendon

The rest vary depending on the year, circumstances etc.

And yes, for those wondering, gws have made up ground and officially tied with norf for my most hated.

Congrats giants (you ****ing pieces of s**t)

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Bev got it right. Ignore dickheads

My massive apologies, Leon, What was I thinking ? Such disrespect. NM are not my targets. If they are yours, accept my humble disagreement then mention the magic word, Essendon.

Last edited:
Bulldogs.
Probably the only club in Victoria that doesn't consider Collingwood to be a hated rival.
$300k pa and an A grade midfielder for free as a gift certainly helps :cool:

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Only discovered last week that I hate Sydney more than anyone else over their continual crying (even 5 years after}about the umps in 2016 GF. We were clearly the better team on the day and the final series. They could not even get close to GWS in the first final who we beat in the prelim.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Collingwood I don’t hate at all. Same for Richmond, just think Hardwick is a bit of an arrogant sook but that’s it.

Hate Geelong St Kilda Essendon GWS Carlton Hawthorn West Coast Adelaide Port.

Back