Which club is Western Bulldogs biggest rival?

Western Bulldogs biggest rival?

• Essendon

Votes: 40 13.0%
  • Geelong

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 77 25.1%
  • Carlton

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Richmond

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 39 12.7%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • West Coast

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • GWS

Votes: 118 38.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Used to be WCE for me after the brawl at Subiaco sometime last century but for me now it’s GWS . Goes back to the working class roots of our club and our struggle to get and retain just about everything versus the chosen child of the AFL given everything and the lesser child disliked for not just staying in the background.

Is there any rivalry between Western Bulldogs-Port Adelaide or is it Western Bulldogs-Adelaide as far as Western Bulldogs rivalry with South Australian clubs goes.

Is there any rivalry between Western Bulldogs-Port Adelaide or is it Western Bulldogs-Adelaide as far as Western Bulldogs rivalry with South Australian clubs goes.

Definitely Adelaide over Port.

'97 and '98 is all you need to know there. Plus the Elimination Final in '15 with the god-damn cheating Talia twats.

All Port ever did was fail to convince Chris Grant to come to them when they joined the league.

There was bad blood between Port and Bulldogs based on comments made both by Kane Cornes and Will Minson on field.
Not sure how strong the dislike is nowadays though.

Whatever it might have been in the past, they say the pre 1925 VFA Footscray-Port Melbourne was bigger than Collingwood-Carlton of the '60s - 70s, it has to be Melbourne. 2 Grand Finals, 1 each, a song-mock and an almost-blue in a Perth Night Club. It could be settled by a sing-off at the Pink Pussycat in Kings Cross on Grand Final Eve 2022 followed by a punch-up in the car park, in the tradition of Adelaide-Port conflict resolution procedures.

Last edited:
There’s a chance there could be something like a Geelong-Hawthorn rivalry in the next few years if both teams are going toe to toe in finals in that time, but it’s a bit early.

It’s still pissant GWS and everyone knows it

Still feel like it's GWS although they weren't mongrels when we played them this year they actually tried to play footy (and failed). Was a little disappointed actually.

Hoping to see an Essendon-Bulldogs or a Melbourne-Bulldogs rivalry emerge over the next few years.

Definitely Adelaide over Port.

'97 and '98 is all you need to know there. Plus the Elimination Final in '15 with the god-damn cheating Talia twats.

All Port ever did was fail to convince Chris Grant to come to them when they joined the league.

True.

Is there any rivalry between Western Bulldogs-West Coast or Western Bulldogs-Fremantle or are the WA teams irrelevant in terms of rivalries.

True.

Is there any rivalry between Western Bulldogs-West Coast or Western Bulldogs-Fremantle or are the WA teams irrelevant in terms of rivalries.
Fremantle, no.

We've had some epic matches with WC over the time, and obviously the all-in brawl was huge, but I certainly wouldn't call it a rivalry.

Adelaide and GWS are the only interstate opponents anywhere near a rivalry, and even Adelaide is a bit meh....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle, no.

We've had some epic matches with WC over the time, and obviously the all-in brawl was huge, but I certainly wouldn't call it a rivalry.

Adelaide and GWS are the only interstate opponents anywhere near a rivalry, and even Adelaide is a bit meh....

I agree with this, I hated Adelaide for years after 1997/98, but as they have done nothing since I feel nothing for them now.

West Coast as a club is fine, some of the BF supporters get a bit annoying with the constant Vic bias whinging, although I agree with them on where the finals are played.

Melbourne, aside from their BF supporters trying their best to start a rivalry, I just don’t feel it with them. St Kilda and GWS are my two.

Last edited:
More proof of their rotteness to the core.....

It’s a dubious title to hold, but this AFL club may boast the most alleged killers on board their bandwagon.

Andrew Rule and Mark Buttler

5 min read
February 2, 2022 - 8:00AM
At least three Essendonians have allegedly been linked to homicides in the past.

At least three Essendonians have allegedly been linked to homicides in the past.

BANG, BANG. MUST BE A BOMBERS FAN
They are a broad church, the Essendon fan base, but not overly religious. In fact, members of the Essendonians coterie group joke that you don’t have to kill somebody to join, but it helps.

Would've said Richmond until recently. Now that Brown and Wallace aren't there the rivalry isn't the same.

Might become GWS with Ward being there...

Going for Norf currently, for all the BF reasons mentioned above. Got kicked off their board once for calling for calm.

"Run along little Doggie", said one of their mods.

Not to mention the Libba and Marty Knights days.

Reality is we have different rivalries depending on who you are talking to. We do not have a traditional rivalry in the true sense.

Personally I cannot stand any other team and the team I hate most at any given time is the one that stops us improving our position whether we are playing them or not.

So in essence our biggest rival is whatever one stands in the way of our 12th senior premiership

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

More proof of their rotteness to the core.....

It’s a dubious title to hold, but this AFL club may boast the most alleged killers on board their bandwagon.

Andrew Rule and Mark Buttler

5 min read
February 2, 2022 - 8:00AM

BANG, BANG. MUST BE A BOMBERS FAN
They are a broad church, the Essendon fan base, but not overly religious. In fact, members of the Essendonians coterie group joke that you don’t have to kill somebody to join, but it helps.

Watch Truck cop it from the coterie groups like poor old Knights did as soon as things start to go south.

Funny enough Truck's 2021 and Knights' 2009 were quite similar with Essendon scraping into 8th and getting belted both times.

It depends upon what the rivalry is based upon.

If it's geography i e local derby, then it's Essendon, that offers the additional intrigue of the 1925 game.

If it's performances in Grand Finals, it has to be Melbourne, that offers the additional intrigue of history. Footscray the Trade Union Club, Melbourne the Employers Club.

If it's significant games at important times then it's Adelaide. 1997 Preliminary Final, the one we should have won and Adelaide's entry into its first Grand Fina, that offers the additional intrigue of the 'dogs being the first Victorian club that Adelaide could claim as a rival.

If it's on field spite, then it's a toss up between Richmond and GWS.

For mine, it's Essendon because that takes its beginnings back 97 years.

Last edited:
Agree completely. Luckily I am never prone to hyperbole but it’s like the AFL is the Axis powers in WW2, GWS is their SS and we are brave little Belgium.
I like the analogy. We're Belgium and Fitzroy was Czechslovakia, rolled over and got their tummies rubbed watching the Nazis roll in.

Back