• Kangaroos

Votes: 93 25.1%
  • Magpies

Votes: 95 25.6%
  • Tigers

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

GC and Brisbane paid overs for Weller and Cameron respectively but I'm pleased they got a couple of players who actually want to be there.

Adelaide giving two first rounders for Gibbs is up there. The only justification is that they are a massive flag chance and don't need to stress on draft picks. Their time is now. Still, it's a big trade.

Adelaide did OK overall. The Gibbs trade is overs but is sandwiched between two good deals. Outside pick upgrade, their net return is two best 22 players out, one best 22 player and a 2018 first round pick in. Not horrible given Lever was out of contract.

I thought the Pies, but then I saw Hawthorn!!

Hodge for Impey - a downgrade in playing talent
34 for 43 - a downgrade
44 for 68 - a downgrade
62 for 75 - a downgrade

To top it off also offloaded a 2018 pick!

Playing list weaker and made their drafting position worse off. What the feck is that??
Not a great trade period for the hawks.
But you do see the glass half empty.
Someone else might see retired Hodge for Impey - an upgrade
43 to 42 - meh
62 to 68 - meh
34 to 75 - yep bruised with that
2018 pick is the fourth round!

Melbourne supporters in this thread just putting it on every other clubs trades

2x 1st for a back pocket.
Pick 31 for Jack Watts - paying some of his salary.
Pies fans rave about Howe taking a few intercept marks a game. Lever takes more and does more as well, even if it was a bit overs. Same with Watts, never getting better than 25 and paying probably 1/10th of what you are for Mayne to not play for you either.

Gold Coast probably had the worst of the period.

However, they are going to make out like bandits next year.

I predict they will swap their pick 1-3 for both of Adelaide's 1st round picks.

3 x 1st round picks in a superdraft.

Pies fans rave about Howe taking a few intercept marks a game. Lever takes more and does more as well, even if it was a bit overs. Same with Watts, never getting better than 25 and paying probably 1/10th of what you are for Mayne to not play for you either.

Howe cost us Kennedy didn't he? Big year for BenKen this year.

Has to make a decision. Are they resetting or not? I would have traded out Golstein. They have Pruess and cant play both. Surely goldstein would have got a late first or a couple of second rounders. Unless they paying a mountain of cash and no one wanted him?
Agreed. Goldstein would be 2nd/3rd highest paid player? (Ignoring front/back ended deals)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lang and Motlop out the door with two other B22 players retiring in Mackie and Lonergan only to bring in Ablett in the second coming of Jesus

Shitty trade period.

Only Port, Essendon, Freo and Dogs did well.
Time will tell but I think Carlton supporters would be pretty happy. 2 x 1st round picks for a 29 year old is absolute gold, albeit a good player but not a part of Carlton's premiership plans.

Port and Essendon are big winners because they got 3 best 22 players in but more so than that the top 6 teams got nothing.

Richmond - the Brisbane trade was a gift but no mature talent.
Adelaide - Lever and Cameron for Gibbs is still a negative probably even if the deals were good
GWS - lost 3 players from a list with limited depth, none in, didn't get great deals for any of them either.
Geelong - Gaz in, Lang and Motlop out, Lonergan and Mackie retired. It's a lot of faith in the kids
Sydney - Murray trade probably works nicely for them but won't kick in until next year
WC - Ah Chee I like but will struggle to replace Priddis (or Mitchell)

Seems like the first time in a long time one of the top 6 didn't get conclusively better. Usually a Geelong, Hawthorn or Sydney bring in a big name!

Agreed. Goldstein would be 2nd/3rd highest paid player? (Ignoring front/back ended deals)
Has to make a decision. Are they resetting or not? I would have traded out Golstein. They have Pruess and cant play both. Surely goldstein would have got a late first or a couple of second rounders. Unless they paying a mountain of cash and no one wanted him?

The biggest problem is that he's still contracted, and he signed on at the end of 2015 when he played one of the all time great seasons from a ruckman. Naturally, we signed him on for a lot of money that no other club wants to take on given his form slump.

If we'd traded him, we'd probably be paying his contract for next year at least, which could be anywhere from 600-800k from memory.

Don't GCS now have 2x 1st, 2nd and 3rd Rounders going into next years "super draft"? . They also brought in 3 players who wanted to be traded in. I don't think them trading out Pick 2 for a future 10 year player for their club cancels that out.

The real losers were Saints considering where they're supposedly at - they failed at trying to land their apparent "targets" all year long. A club that should be playing finals next year but don't bring in any experience, leadership or quality despite having that exit the door.

North are loading up and not in someone like Saints' position so I don't see why they're voted so highly. Pies miss out on Schache but so what? The club got more support for their list by changing up and adding to their coaching staff - which is probably all they need to do this off-season for improvement.

Last edited:
Hawks: Out Hodge In Impey. That's pretty sad.

Adelaide: Lost Lever and Cameron and gained Gibbs but at a massive cost of draft picks. That's a flag contender that at best is about equal list strength to 2018, probably a bit worse and lost a fair bit of draft currency.

North/Collingwood - Didn't do anything that will make them significantly better in the future. North getting rid of Gibson was interesting. Not good interesting - just interesting.

Lost draft currency?! We've still got pick 12 and Melbourne's 2018 first round pick FFS!! Try telling the FULL story next time?!

Port and Essendon are big winners because they got 3 best 22 players in but more so than that the top 6 teams got nothing.

Richmond - the Brisbane trade was a gift but no mature talent.
Adelaide - Lever and Cameron for Gibbs is still a negative probably even if the deals were good
GWS - lost 3 players from a list with limited depth, none in, didn't get great deals for any of them either.
Geelong - Gaz in, Lang and Motlop out, Lonergan and Mackie retired. It's a lot of faith in the kids
Sydney - Murray trade probably works nicely for them but won't kick in until next year
WC - Ah Chee I like but will struggle to replace Priddis (or Mitchell)

Seems like the first time in a long time one of the top 6 didn't get conclusively better. Usually a Geelong, Hawthorn or Sydney bring in a big name!

Cameron had 2 decent games this year. So pleased he's gone and we got 12 for him. Will not have a long career.

I thought the best option for the Pies this trade period was to do nothing (unless we could get someone elite, or someone on the cheap).

Now whether or not Murray turns out to be a decent get, I really don't like us losing another 2nd round pick. We have too many young depth players, and not enough clearly best 22 players who are consistently good enough - we did not really need another one.

Adelaide giving two first rounders for Gibbs is up there. The only justification is that they are a massive flag chance and don't need to stress on draft picks. Their time is now. Still, it's a big trade.

You could indeed say "Adelaide giving two first rounders for Gibbs" if you had an agenda to paint it in a negative light.

If you wanted to tell the whole story however:

429479_e2b888da41260e47138f8c3a91fa9852.png

The whole story is Gibbs for Pick 10 and three pick downgrades.

Back