Which club won the trade and free agency period?

Which club won the trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure. But one of us has supporting evidence in the form media reports and statements from the club. The other is only supported by what they think personally. If you watched trade radio, the Blues rep was there presenting their part of the deal to be signed of on by Woods before the Stringer trade was signed off on. You can pretend that had nothing to do with it. Whatever. I don't care for childish denial.

Yeah we heard that Stringer was expected to stay when the West Coast deal collapsed. we only accepted their deal knowing we could upgrade to a first rounder from the blues.

They did that trade, knowing they could ontrade those picks to us for 16. To be more precise we traded them pick 16 and pick 40 in exchange for pick 28, 30 and their future second-round selection (30 ish).

I.e. We helped talk them into accepting your offer. We were even in the room when it happened I hear.

You can thank us for it after.
The Bulldogs would have taken the trade regardless. One, because it wasn't a terrible deal and two, everybody knew that the bridges between club and player were burned to the foundations and Stringer would be at best a distraction for the club next year. Knowing they could use those picks to snare Schache was probably just as much, if not more of an incentive. And lastly, you used those picks to land Matthew Kennedy, so please cut the s**t. Essendon did not need the generous, selfless help of Carlton to secure our man.

Voted Fremantle, Pick 2 for Lachie Weller.
******* lol.

Wilson, LDU and a KPF, that's Fremantle's list sorted. I expect them to shoot up the ladder if they don't do the overly defensive Ross Lyon bullshit.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ballas will be lucky to get
Have Freo now got picks 2 & 5? Hell, thats a pretty good steal. Now with Matera, Walters, Ballantyne (in his twilight), they've got some pretty good small forwards. They really need to target the best KPF in the land on draft day to slot alongside McCarthy.

Add speedy defender in Wilson and they are beginning to look promising despite losing Weller and Crozier
Ballas will have to perform to keep his spot, had a shocking last 2 years

Just as credible as yours little fella

Thats_the_joke.jpg

Taking into consideration on where teams sit, what they are looking for, and where they are heading, i would say Carlton won this trade period easily.
Nah - they lost one of their consistent high quality mids and really don’t have that many of them. Replaced him with the relatively untried Kennedy. They still don’t have a key forward that will kick 40-50+. Lang and Lobbe aren’t the answer to their problems.

I don’t think the trade period addressed any of the holes on their list - so I can think consider them as winning it.

Nah - they lost one of their consistent high quality mids and really don’t have that many of them. Replaced him with the relatively untried Kennedy. They still don’t have a key forward that will kick 40-50+. Lang and Lobbe aren’t the answer to their problems.

I don’t think the trade period addressed any of the holes on their list - so I can think consider them as winning it.
But they don't need Gibbs for what they are trying to achieve at the moment.
IMO they sold him at exactly the right time for a great price.

It's hard to really tell who won a trade until a few years have passed and you see how players and picks perform.

But they don't need Gibbs for what they are trying to achieve at the moment.
IMO they sold him at exactly the right time for a great price.
Aren’t they trying to achieve winning games of football?

Gibbs is a good player. Trading him for pick 10 and a couple of pick upgrades is okay if you want to be in perpetual rebuild.

I think carlton have loaded up a lot on youth in recent years and need to start addressing their list needs by targeting players, not just trading in for younger versions of existing players and drafts picks.

If you look at their best 22 it’s actually become worse over the offseason- and this is the third year of the rebuild which they need to rise up the ladder pretty significantly to confirm they’re on the right track.

Aren’t they trying to achieve winning games of football?

Gibbs is a good player. Trading him for pick 10 and a couple of pick upgrades is okay if you want to be in perpetual rebuild.

I think carlton have loaded up a lot on youth in recent years and need to start addressing their list needs by targeting players, not just trading in for younger versions of existing players and drafts picks.

If you look at their best 22 it’s actually become worse over the offseason- and this is the third year of the rebuild which they need to rise up the ladder pretty significantly to confirm they’re on the right track.
Carlton are on the rebuild, that really is not in dispute, Gibbs was not going to get them to finals next season, probably when they are ready to push for finals, Gibbs would be just about done.
So off loading him now, especially as he wanted to move, was a great move, and price.
They now have the chance to bring in more players in the age bracket that suits.

Going on Team needs, Carlton won.

Carlton are on the rebuild, that really is not in dispute, Gibbs was not going to get them to finals next season, probably when they are ready to push for finals, Gibbs would be just about done.
So off loading him now, especially as he wanted to move, was a great move, and price.
They now have the chance to bring in more players in the age bracket that suits.

Going on Team needs, Carlton won.
Nah - Carlton’s most pressing needs are key forwards and backs, which wasn’t addressed. If they get one with pick 10 they won’t reap the benefit until 2021-2022.

Reckon other teams did much better than them. Essendon certainly did. Freo did as well.

Back