Which club won the trade and free agency period?

Which club won the trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Fourthawn

Senior List
May 2, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Given Vickery's retirement, does that mean Hawthorn's list has now improved the most in the off season?

Given Vickery's retirement, does that mean Hawthorn's list has now improved the most in the off season?

*in LOL.

Chalk that one up to a list brain fart eh?

Don't worry, we've all had 'em.

Do you not know what the word ‘incorrect’ means? Your opinion regarding Bryce Gibbs is not ‘correct’ and mine is not ‘incorrect’. Nor is my opinion correct and yours incorrect. It’s an opinion. Suggesting otherwise is hugely arrogant.

I know what incorrect means, and indeed I know you are incorrect.

I am quite certain that if I put forward Nick Graham is a better player than Ollie Wines, you would very quickly claim that train of thought to be incorrect.

Gibbs was never our best midfielder in his time at Carlton. You're welcome to think otherwise but guess what...you'd be wrong.

Where in that article is Gibbs claimed to be our best midfielder?

And since when should we treat the words of an AFL journalist as gospel?

Lol. Rating one player higher than another because you found a junk stat that happens to support your argument is ‘hypocrisy’ now?

SPP and Kennedy were both eligible for the Rising Star this year. SPP came third, Kennedy wasn’t even nominated. I guess the Rising Star judges must be hypocrites too.

No. It's hypocritical to call one player a spud because of his disposal, yet leap to the defense of another (conveniently who plays for the club you support) who isn't much better, if at all.

And please don't bring up the Rising Star to support your argument. Lol indeed.

Here’s the top 10 in the AFL for disposal efficiency in 2017: Josh Cowan, Jack Fitzpatrick, Jarred Jansen, Fletcher Roberts, Alex Keath, Brandon Jack, Fraser McInnes, Neville Jetta, Zac Dawson, Ryan Harwood. Excuse me for not rating players in accordance with their disposal efficiency ranking.

You've very clearly missed the point if you think I rate players according to their efficiency.

If Kennnedy was wearing teal in 2018 I’d be hoping that the significant flaws in his game could be ironed out with experience. Based on what he’s shown at AFL level so far, I wouldn’t be confident that he’d be able to do so.

Sounds likely...

You see plenty of goals from outside 50 these days. That’s far from the only goal that SPP kicked from outside 50 this year. But you don’t see many goals from outside 50 from blokes who can’t kick, like Matthew Kennedy.

Only every other week. There was once a very prolific poster around these parts who was ridiculed for backing up an argument with an almost irrelevant Youtube clip - not sure why you'd be trying to emulate him to be honest.

I know what incorrect means, and indeed I know you are incorrect.

I am quite certain that if I put forward Nick Graham is a better player than Ollie Wines, you would very quickly claim that train of thought to be incorrect.

Because Nick Graham is a VFL player who struggles to get games for a bottom 4 side. Now, if you said that Bryce Gibbs is a better player than Ollie Wines, I would disagree with you, but unlike yourself I wouldn’t be enough of an arrogant tosspot to claim that you’re ‘incorrect’.

Jeremias said:
Gibbs was never our best midfielder in his time at Carlton. You're welcome to think otherwise but guess what...you'd be wrong.

No I wouldn’t. Nor would you be wrong to say that Murphy or Cripps is better. I’m not going to waste any more time discussing this incredibly simple concept with you.

Jeremias said:
Where in that article is Gibbs claimed to be our best midfielder?

Gee, I dunno, maybe the bit where it says Carlton lost arguably their best midfielder?

Jeremias said:
And since when should we treat the words of an AFL journalist as gospel?

It’s not gospel. IT’S AN OPINION. This really isn’t very hard.

Jeremias said:
No. It's hypocritical to call one player a spud because of his disposal, yet leap to the defense of another (conveniently who plays for the club you support) who isn't much better, if at all.

Let’s put aside for a moment that your argument rests on the premise that not rating one player with poor disposal means I have to not rate every player with poor disposal and that there’s no way a player could make up for poor disposal in other areas. Powell-Pepper has kicked goals in his first year of football that Kennedy wouldn’t be remotely capable of kicking, the clip I posted being just one of several examples. Powell-Pepper’s disposal is miles better than Kennedy’s. In my opinion, of course. Again, disagreeing with you doesn’t make me wrong, or a hypocrite, or whatever else you want to come up with.

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Never at any stage of his career? So the bloke who won your B&F a few years back was a different Bryce Gibbs then?

If he’s not your absolute best he’s right up there with Murphy, and Murphy’s on the wrong side of 30.

Recruited then, not traded. Not sure how that technicality makes you any less likely to finish bottom 4.

Ever actually watched Kennedy or did you just look at his draft position? His skills are atrocious. He is young so maybe he’ll be able to improve in time, but as it stands right now he’s not fit to carry Bryce Gibbs’ bags.
I have watched Kennedy, a lot. His skills are not atrocious. He doesn't have the silk of Shiel or Kelly but his disposal is good for an inside mid. One atrocious clanger with a pass hitting Betts on the chest 20m in front of goal in round one is the only * up I recall.

He spent a lot of time as a defensive mid blocking and shepherding but he can and does get the ball outside efficiently. Kicks goals resting forward crumbing or marking as well.

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Carlton are doing the right thing the last few years now, all they need to do is take the right kids, they are building from ground up which will reap it's benefits in 5-7 years time.

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon bought in two forwards that they didn’t need

Ones a mental case the other has bad knees

Saad is a genuine player but if you actually look at the moves they don’t improve that much.

I will wager Smith misses a lot of footy next year and Jake will be Jake, great in patches but otherwise invisible. Anyone that thinks he is a midfielder hasn’t watched him he is lazy and takes the easiest option every time.

Ps he will rip us a new one round 3 no doubt :(

Essendon - saad (they already had enough def run), McGrath won't be their midfield saviour nor will smith (rumoured to have failed Carltons medical - degenerative knee problem) or stringer (picks and choose but he holds the most upside). But Essendon needed inside midfielder (Kennedy being an option but he chose Carlton). They also gave up this years draft after they've missed a lot of drafts over the previous years. They will fall quite rapidly when replying on their depth which isn't there.

we had 38 games played by Hocking, Howlett, Bird, McKernan, Stanton & Green for just 25 goals and an avg of 12 possessions a game.
If we get 38 games from Stringer, Smith and Saad combined in 2018, it will be a HUGE win just because of who they replaced in the side.

3 really good player replacing dead wood.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
we had 38 games played by Hocking, Howlett, Bird, McKernan, Stanton & Green for just 25 goals and an avg of 12 possessions a game.
If we get 38 games from Stringer, Smith and Saad combined in 2018, it will be a HUGE win just because of who they replaced in the side.

3 really good player replacing dead wood.

And?

They don’t fix your poor midfield

Smiths knees are shot he failed a medical at Carlton and Jake isn’t and never will be a mid. You blokes can dream he will be but it won’t happen AND if the reports this week are true he has already started badly again up to antics.

Good back and forward line but bottom 4 midfield won’t make you competitive in finals

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
And?

They don’t fix your poor midfield

Smiths knees are shot he failed a medical at Carlton and Jake isn’t and never will be a mid. You blokes can dream he will be but it won’t happen AND if the reports this week are true he has already started badly again up to antics.

Good back and forward line but bottom 4 midfield won’t make you competitive in finals

We improved our team by making our strengths even stronger, 3 players who walk straight into our best 22, actually I would say Stringer, Smith and Saad combined would improve every team across the entire league.

Last edited:

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So bitter, we improved our team by making our strengths even stronger, 3 players who walk straight into our best 22, actually I would say Stringer, Smith and Saad combined would improve every team across the entire league.

Why am i bitter? Why is if if you disagree your a troll, salty or bitter ? Lol Doesn’t make sense

Your weakness was not your backline or forward line making them stronger and I argue you actually have doesn’t change anything.

It was and still is midfield that holds you down. But I Didn’t say you wouldn’t be better actually just that your not contenders in the end still a fair way off. In fact I expect the dogs to finish higher ancwe aren’t very good

Scrape into the 8 and if they do our week one with that midfield. If you an improve that drastically then you are getting somewhere

Oh and Jake and Smith both played twos due to form in the last 12 months so they really aren’t the messiahs you think they are. Saad can play easily the best of the 3

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Why am i bitter? Why is if if you disagree your a troll, salty or bitter ? Lol Doesn’t make sense

Your weakness was not your backline or forward line making them stronger and I argue you actually have doesn’t change anything.

It was and still is midfield that holds you down. But I Didn’t say you wouldn’t be better actually just that your not contenders in the end still a fair way off. In fact I expect the dogs to finish higher ancwe aren’t very good

Scrape into the 8 and if they do our week one with that midfield. If you an improve that drastically then you are getting somewhere

Oh and Jake and Smith both played twos due to form in the last 12 months so they really aren’t the messiahs you think they are. Saad can play easily the best of the 3
That's not true
Devon was left out of the PF, the only time he's missed selection for years. Coming back from injury in a team desperate for stability, that had shown form in the SF the previous week.
Given Stevie J's game a decision very likely regretted.

Back