Which clubs are really the big four of the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton fans have been the most disrespected of all by their club admin.
If you have a sub 80% season, you are subjecting your fans to purgatory
Hats off to these people
Have a look at carltons 21st century. 9 times. there was probably a total of 4 seasons in the previous 100 years. Fitzroy just 4 times in their last 20 years

Generation has been used in this thread a lot. This is a generation

yr%ge

Last edited:
How are Adelaide not in the same position as WC? Is it just a blip from recent drama?

Adelaide (The city) isn't as big or wealthy as Perth, the Crows haven't been as successful as the Eagles, for years the SANFL has stolen too much money from them and they've been run by morons would be the main reasons.

We have new fans mainly our offspring. They will not support any other side. We have the third biggest supporter base in the AFL after the Eagles and Pies.

Not long ago 2008 to 2012 second in attendance and TV ratings. Last year equal second most popular in AFL live pass with the Eagles after Collingwood. I might add there a couple of million subscribers.

Carlton have been mismanaged for 20 years but our support is generational like Richmond.

Do you have the AFL Live downloads list, would make for interesting reading (in addition to membership, social media and attendances)

How the f are Hawthorn one of the four clubs that would survive on their own?

Simples...

Revenue for 2019 - $76.2m
Net Surplus - $5.2m
Net Assets - $56.2m
Cash and equivalents - $28.2m
Hawthorn Foundation - $20m (for the Kennedy Community Centre development)
2019 membership - 84,000 (65,000 on automatic roll overs)

Haven’t made a financial loss since 1997, have had 13 years of successive membership records and have taken the lowest dividend from the afl in every season since 2006

They also own the freehold on the Dingley land parcel, Waverley Gardens, 50 per cent of the Caroline Springs hotel and function centre and the Waverley Park administration centre, gymnasium and shops which like the AFL can probably be borrowed against if things got real (18-24 months)

Last edited:
It's not really the early 90s anymore though. Carlton are the post 1960s Melbourne imo. Decades of failure has hurt their ability to draw new fans.
I think Carlton can bounce back. Richmond managed to after 30 years of failure. Carlton is only at the 20 year mark. However, if they don't manage to have a successful period on field in the next 10-20 years then I think they won't be able to bounce back.

Could I just bring it to everybody's attention that this "Big 4" list that everyone seems to be wanting to quote is merely something that has been dreamt up by Caroline Wilson. Of course she is going to put Richmond in it.

The Melbourne 1960s and Carlton 2020s comparison doesn’t stack up in my opinion.

Melbourne went without finals from 1965-1987 and lost their hold over the MCG to Richmond and North Melbourne.

Melbourne’s crowds yo-yoed dramatically in the 1940s and early 1950s (bookmarking their glory eras of the 1930s and 1950s)

Between 2001 and 2020 Carlton made the finals in 2009-11 and 2013 (and even managed to eek out finals wins in 2011 and 2013).

As bad as Carlton have been in the 21st century they have been much more competitive than the Melbourne of the 1970s and early 1980s

Another consideration is that the Melbourne and Hawthorn demographics basically cover each other. So in the time Melbourne missed the finals, Hawthorn won 6 **** and made 9 GF’s.

A good chunk of Hawthorn’s growth likely came at the expense of Melbourne (and vice versa). There is a good reason that the Melbourne Hawks was probably the best fit for a Victorian merger.

Not sure Carlton has a direct competitor for its success starved fan base

Could I just bring it to everybody's attention that this "Big 4" list that everyone seems to be wanting to quote is merely something that has been dreamt up by Caroline Wilson. Of course she is going to put Richmond in it.
So are you saying Richmond is not of Big 4? The Big 4 concept was not devised by Wilson. The concept has been around for years. Posts like this perpetuate Cat supporters persecution complex.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the end of 2016 Essendon had a debt of 10.5 million. After 3 seasons the debt it all but wiped. Incredible really. Still in the second rung of clubs in the financial standings.

If the current crisis had hit a year later we would be in the top rung of clubs. I don't think Essendon has much to worry about going forward. I'd actually be more worried about Richmond with their history of imploding.

My post wasn't to have a dig at ess i replied to a post and stated that the reason why ess wasn't included due to all the dramas and millions that they were in debt. Now you say you have eroded it great but i guess not enough in cash reserves to weather the storm if the whole season didn't go through. That's it.

Oh you needed to have a dig lmao! You follow ess, after all, there has never been a club to self implode like the Essendon football club.
Don't go throwing out stones for no reason look at your own club which embarrassed itself like no other. No governance whatsoever.

Do you have the AFL Live downloads list, would make for interesting reading (in addition to membership, social media and attendances)
Quoting sport industry website "out of 3 million subscribers Collingwood was the most steamed team with 57.4 million minutes watched followed by west cost showed strong support in second place with 51.9 million minutes narrowly elcipsing Carlton at 51.8 million minutes streamed.

There will be a growing resentment of the ‘have nots’ before too long....while the ‘haves’ get their spending and lists hard capped to stop them from growing further and getting better, and the ‘middle pack’ strive to take that next step.

Can’t see that being palatable for very long.

Solution: If a club can’t afford to play at the highest level, they don’t HAVE to play at the highest level. State based competitions could really benefit from the presence of ‘big fish’ in a smaller pond and the existing supporter base will get even more access to their club as they won’t need to travel interstate.

There will be a growing resentment of the ‘have nots’ before too long....while the ‘haves’ get their spending and lists hard capped to stop them from growing further and getting better, and the ‘middle pack’ strive to take that next step.

Can’t see that being palatable for very long.

Solution: If a club can’t afford to play at the highest level, they don’t HAVE to play at the highest level. State based competitions could really benefit from the presence of ‘big fish’ in a smaller pond and the existing supporter base will get even more access to their club as they won’t need to travel interstate.

I can't imagine any of the 18 clubs were very happy about the receivership model.

14/18 clubs will now have multimillion dollar debts with an annual interest rate of 3.3%.

Apparently the agreement between the AFL and the clubs also specifies that the 4 "unassisted clubs" are not to use their financial position to gain competitive advantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back